Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Ruttdigger, I live about 60 miles west of you and what I have always done is the air-compressor method of blowing out lines and pouring a bit of RV anti-freeze down the drain pipes, so it's not a major deal. My wife has a business (booth at Canton First Monday Trade Days out east of Dallas) and this summer we started taking our 5th wheel out there and camping all week.

So - this winter, come freeze or whatever - we'll be camping at "First Monday" from Sunday thru Sunday. On our new Columbus, we have tank heaters, but my only real concern is going to be the freshwater water hose and whether or not we can keep it from freezing.

Remember Super Bowl weekend a couple of years ago when D/FW got 9" of snow? That was a Canton weekend and not sure how we'd handle an episode like that. Thankfully that's rare for this part of North Texas.

Blowing out the water lines with an air compressor (be sure to watch your pressure and keep it below 30 pounds - and don't forget to open and drain the outside shower) can be done in just a few minutes and doesn't take gallons of RV anti-freeze, and then you're back in business pretty quickly "when the spirit moves you".

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #12

How much antifreeze do you use and which drains do you pour down. That seems like a fairly easy way to do it and wouldn't stop us from going out again on a moments notice.

Wife check, dogs, check... let's glamp!
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #13

We are about 10 miles northeast of you. (The Colony) And we do the same as rjshiflet. We blow out the water lines and drain the water heater. Also don't forget the water filter and outside shower. Then poor some antifreeze down the drains and also into the potty. But don't flush it.. It's fast and easy and like rjshiflet said your back in business fair quick.
ldmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
"On the road again"

Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
When you blow out the lines, a bit of water collects in the P-Traps and/or in the gray or black water tanks. I generally will pour about two or three cups down each drain...a bit more in the shower and toilet.

That way you're not having to flush your drinking water lines each time to get all the antifreeze out.

The absolute only problem I've ever had was "operator error" one year when I failed to open the outdoor shower and blow it out. The next time we hooked up to the water at an RV park...flooding coming from the shower area and behind. Evidently there was enough water and it froze hard enough to crack the faucet connections. I managed to fix it myself, but it SHOULD have been avoided by opening those faucets before blowing out the lines.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post

So - this winter, come freeze or whatever - we'll be camping at "First Monday" from Sunday thru Sunday. On our new Columbus, we have tank heaters, but my only real concern is going to be the freshwater water hose and whether or not we can keep it from freezing.
24 FOOT EASY HEAT WATER PIPE HEATING CABLE HEAT TAPE KIT 24' AHB-124 NEW | eBay

I've seen plenty campers using one of these along with the split type pipe insulation on their water hose. They're available at most Home Centers. Pipe insulation should be for at least 1" pipe due to space needed for heat-tape.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet
Ruttdigger, I live about 60 miles west of you and what I have always done is the air-compressor method of blowing out lines and pouring a bit of RV anti-freeze down the drain pipes, so it's not a major deal. My wife has a business (booth at Canton First Monday Trade Days out east of Dallas) and this summer we started taking our 5th wheel out there and camping all week.

Remember Super Bowl weekend a couple of years ago when D/FW got 9" of snow? That was a Canton weekend and not sure how we'd handle an episode like that. Thankfully that's rare for this part of North Texas.

Blowing out the water lines with an air compressor (be sure to watch your pressure and keep it below 30 pounds - and don't forget to open and drain the outside shower) can be done in just a few minutes and doesn't take gallons of RV anti-freeze, and then you're back in business pretty quickly "when the spirit moves you".
Rv market just came out with a heated freshwater hose that would solve any problems camping in below freezing weather...I've seen the hose for about $130-150, believe it's 50' in length...you just plug into park power pedestal.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #17

So the consensus is when parked at the storage blow out lines and a few cups of the antifreeze in the drains should do it.

When camping all should be good with normal heater as long as the hose is insulated and heated to avoid freezing.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttdigger
So the consensus is when parked at the storage blow out lines and a few cups of the antifreeze in the drains should do it.

When camping all should be good with normal heater as long as the hose is insulated and heated to avoid freezing.
You got it... Your ready for Winter camping!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Pug Dads

Hello all, we live in north Carolina and enjoy winter camping, we purchased a heated water hose the make is. PIRIT Heated Hose
Look it up online it really works. Camped at temps down to 15 and 20 degrees and no problems.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #20

Thank you all so much. Now we have a workable plan.