Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #11
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 679
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
Ruttdigger, I live about 60 miles west of you and what I have always done is the air-compressor method of blowing out lines and pouring a bit of RV anti-freeze down the drain pipes, so it's not a major deal. My wife has a business (booth at Canton First Monday Trade Days out east of Dallas) and this summer we started taking our 5th wheel out there and camping all week.

So - this winter, come freeze or whatever - we'll be camping at "First Monday" from Sunday thru Sunday. On our new Columbus, we have tank heaters, but my only real concern is going to be the freshwater water hose and whether or not we can keep it from freezing.

Remember Super Bowl weekend a couple of years ago when D/FW got 9" of snow? That was a Canton weekend and not sure how we'd handle an episode like that. Thankfully that's rare for this part of North Texas.

Blowing out the water lines with an air compressor (be sure to watch your pressure and keep it below 30 pounds - and don't forget to open and drain the outside shower) can be done in just a few minutes and doesn't take gallons of RV anti-freeze, and then you're back in business pretty quickly "when the spirit moves you".
__________________

__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carrollton Tx
Posts: 9
How much antifreeze do you use and which drains do you pour down. That seems like a fairly easy way to do it and wouldn't stop us from going out again on a moments notice.
__________________

__________________
Howdy Y'all.
2012 Tracer 3150BHD
2006 Dodge Ram LWB 2500 4x4
Wife check, dogs, check... let's glamp!
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 21
We are about 10 miles northeast of you. (The Colony) And we do the same as rjshiflet. We blow out the water lines and drain the water heater. Also don't forget the water filter and outside shower. Then poor some antifreeze down the drains and also into the potty. But don't flush it.. It's fast and easy and like rjshiflet said your back in business fair quick.
__________________
Rick and Linda
Ford F-250 4x4 Diesel
2013 Flagstaff Classic
ldmcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #14
"On the road again"
 
rjshiflet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Parker County Texas
Posts: 679
Send a message via AIM to rjshiflet
When you blow out the lines, a bit of water collects in the P-Traps and/or in the gray or black water tanks. I generally will pour about two or three cups down each drain...a bit more in the shower and toilet.

That way you're not having to flush your drinking water lines each time to get all the antifreeze out.

The absolute only problem I've ever had was "operator error" one year when I failed to open the outdoor shower and blow it out. The next time we hooked up to the water at an RV park...flooding coming from the shower area and behind. Evidently there was enough water and it froze hard enough to crack the faucet connections. I managed to fix it myself, but it SHOULD have been avoided by opening those faucets before blowing out the lines.
__________________

Robert & Estha Shiflet
'17 Cardinal 3456RL - '17 Ford F350 Lariat Ultimate - DRW w/B&W OEM Companion hitch
Nights Camping 2012 & 2013 & 2014 & 2015 & 2016: 587 ~ Nights Camping 2017: 125
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet View Post

So - this winter, come freeze or whatever - we'll be camping at "First Monday" from Sunday thru Sunday. On our new Columbus, we have tank heaters, but my only real concern is going to be the freshwater water hose and whether or not we can keep it from freezing.
24 FOOT EASY HEAT WATER PIPE HEATING CABLE HEAT TAPE KIT 24' AHB-124 NEW | eBay

I've seen plenty campers using one of these along with the split type pipe insulation on their water hose. They're available at most Home Centers. Pipe insulation should be for at least 1" pipe due to space needed for heat-tape.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #16
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshiflet
Ruttdigger, I live about 60 miles west of you and what I have always done is the air-compressor method of blowing out lines and pouring a bit of RV anti-freeze down the drain pipes, so it's not a major deal. My wife has a business (booth at Canton First Monday Trade Days out east of Dallas) and this summer we started taking our 5th wheel out there and camping all week.

So - this winter, come freeze or whatever - we'll be camping at "First Monday" from Sunday thru Sunday. On our new Columbus, we have tank heaters, but my only real concern is going to be the freshwater water hose and whether or not we can keep it from freezing.

Remember Super Bowl weekend a couple of years ago when D/FW got 9" of snow? That was a Canton weekend and not sure how we'd handle an episode like that. Thankfully that's rare for this part of North Texas.

Blowing out the water lines with an air compressor (be sure to watch your pressure and keep it below 30 pounds - and don't forget to open and drain the outside shower) can be done in just a few minutes and doesn't take gallons of RV anti-freeze, and then you're back in business pretty quickly "when the spirit moves you".
Rv market just came out with a heated freshwater hose that would solve any problems camping in below freezing weather...I've seen the hose for about $130-150, believe it's 50' in length...you just plug into park power pedestal.
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carrollton Tx
Posts: 9
So the consensus is when parked at the storage blow out lines and a few cups of the antifreeze in the drains should do it.

When camping all should be good with normal heater as long as the hose is insulated and heated to avoid freezing.
__________________
Howdy Y'all.
2012 Tracer 3150BHD
2006 Dodge Ram LWB 2500 4x4
Wife check, dogs, check... let's glamp!
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttdigger
So the consensus is when parked at the storage blow out lines and a few cups of the antifreeze in the drains should do it.

When camping all should be good with normal heater as long as the hose is insulated and heated to avoid freezing.
You got it... Your ready for Winter camping!
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Pug Dads
 
cheatham09's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mocksville. NC
Posts: 70
Hello all, we live in north Carolina and enjoy winter camping, we purchased a heated water hose the make is. PIRIT Heated Hose
Look it up online it really works. Camped at temps down to 15 and 20 degrees and no problems.
__________________
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Carrollton Tx
Posts: 9
Thank you all so much. Now we have a workable plan.
__________________

__________________
Howdy Y'all.
2012 Tracer 3150BHD
2006 Dodge Ram LWB 2500 4x4
Wife check, dogs, check... let's glamp!
Ruttdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.