Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Camping Season Just Starting For Me

Less than 2 week owner of the new 2012 318BHS and I'm loving reading all the threads here in this forum. I have learned so much and never guessed I would ever be a member of a travel trailer forum - didn't realize they existed

What strikes me as funny is that my camping season is just starting where many of my PT family members are wrapping theirs up. We use our TT primarily for deer season. We park it on the deer lease for the next 6 months as we get thru deer season and then carryover into the Spring before we move it to our "country place" as a second home.

My husband takes a lot of kidding from our fellow camp members since some of them are in converted old buses and uninsulated cabins Just wait until they see the 35 foot deck and 20x35 cover he is going to build me there...
Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #2

Alright. That sounds great. You'll have to take some pics when he gets it done.

One suggestion. You might want that cover 40' long. My tt is 34' 10". My cover is 18' x 41' and I really wouldn't want it any shorter.

I also had 12' sidewalls built since I was unsure of how the height would work out. I'm 6' and I can stand up in the center, so I probably could have got away with 10' sidewalls. No big deal, too tall is better than too short!

In the pics below I have the tt a couple of feet further back than where I normally park it.

grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:18 PM   #3

wow ,you take good care of your stuff!
Would your cover hold up to New england snow cover ?
If it does I neeed one .
4:10 rearend - Roxy the puppy when allowed.
41 Days camped in 2011 and counting.
rbarrieau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:20 AM   #4

I believe you can order these covers with some type of weight guarantee. You'll need to check to be sure. Of course it wil be extra $$ if they do.

Do a search for RV Carports and you should be able to find a local dealer. I found one near Tulsa that takes in orders throughout the U.S. They can order from different companies like Carolina or Eagle (what I have) and then set up a time to install when a crew is in your area.

A 3 man crew arrived here around 7 pm and worked 'til dark. By 11 am the next morning they were through.

Well worth the money if you can do it. I've only had mine up since the first part of June and so far I'm very satisfied with it.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #5

Looks great

Now that's what I call a car port, or in this case a trailer port,lol,I had a portable one a couple of years ago in my driveway, with 600 pounds of concrete sitting on it. Everything was fine for a month, went away to deer camp for a week, when I came back, pg had been picked up by the wind, cleared the fence, smashed into the house, scarred the bejebers out of my wife and daughter. Shed then rips the clothesline down and gets caught up in the wire and stays there, until my wife and daughter with the neighbours help takes it apart in the rain and wind. DW and DD were not pleased with my PG, maybe yours would hold up better.
Would love to have my TT at deer camp but couldn't get it anywhere near where we hunt

Dennis
F'ton N.B. Canada
dennis5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis5_0 View Post
Now that's what I call a car port, or in this case a trailer port,lol,I had a portable one a couple of years ago in my driveway, with 600 pounds of concrete sitting on it. Everything was fine for a month, went away to deer camp for a week, when I came back, pg had been picked up by the wind, cleared the fence, smashed into the house, scarred the bejebers out of my wife and daughter. Shed then rips the clothesline down and gets caught up in the wire and stays there, until my wife and daughter with the neighbours help takes it apart in the rain and wind. DW and DD were not pleased with my PG, maybe yours would hold up better.
Would love to have my TT at deer camp but couldn't get it anywhere near where we hunt

Dennis
They installed twelve 2½' long rebars through the bottom rails and bolted 8 mobile home anchors to the rails. We have had 60+ mph winds which took down a few trees and broke off numerous limbs in the area, but the rv port is still standing.
These are common around here and I haven't heard of anyone having any problems. Hopefully it will hold up over time. I do plan on adding side panels over time until I get it completely closed in.