Old 09-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #21

Heres an honest observation. I grew up in the country with horses, and had my own horse farm until 96 when I gave them up. I have towed horse trailers, hay wagons, grain trailers and campers since I was too young to legally drive... I ran the tires off my horse trailers, traveling from Ohio covering the entire east side of the country....I can count on one hand the number of blowouts I had on the road. I ran the tires till they were pretty much bald then used them on my hay wagons, grain wagons and tractors.. Talk about abuse, you haven't seen anything like the abuse a horse trailer and its tires take, thru fields ,barn lots, jumping curbs, over rocks thru streams and running 70-80 mph down the highway to the next show....I check my tire pressure religiously and grease my bearings every year. Now jump to 2007 when I bought my Keystone Cougar fifth wheel. My first trip to Florida I blew two of the four tires. I know for a fact the tires were properly inflated, the camper was not over loaded and the trailer had not been run thru barn lots, hay fields and over curbs. My second year coming to Florida I had two blowouts. I have bought five new tires for this trailer since 08........Do I think its defective tires from China, you bet, right along with the tainted baby food, drywall, led painted toys, Fake prescription drugs and a whole list of trash we import from them...

Old 09-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman
Most people jump up one Load Range and adjust the inflation accordingly. You went two Load range so running 65 MAY work but if you have a tire failure I suggest you remember that running less than the tire sidewall pressure (or the max for the rim which ever is lower) was your decision.
Yes, it is my decision, but I still can't see how a LR E tire would sidewall flex anymore than a LR D tire with the same amount of weight inflated at 65 psi. The LR E tires are supposedly "tougher", the C, D & Es all are the exact same size, so if I can legally put on LR C tires at 50 psi, why would a LR E tire at 65 PSI be a problem ? IMO, a LR E should be a lot harder to flex, withstand more weight, and therefore a lot safer on the road. My trailer is 7200 lbs dry, and I'm allowed 1900 lbs cargo, with 2 4000 lb axles. I don't carry full of water, and we don't overload with a bunch of junk, so I'd estimate we have hardly 1000 lbs cargo even with water.

2011 Flagstaff 8526RLWS 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F250 4X4 Crewcab Superduty 6.7L Diesel
B&W 3300 Hitch for Ford 5th Wheel Prep package
Windywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlreed View Post
Heres an honest observation. I grew up in the country with horses, and had my own horse farm until 96 when I gave them up. I have towed horse trailers, hay wagons, grain trailers and campers since I was too young to legally drive... I ran the tires off my horse trailers, traveling from Ohio covering the entire east side of the country....I can count on one hand the number of blowouts I had on the road. I ran the tires till they were pretty much bald then used them on my hay wagons, grain wagons and tractors.. Talk about abuse, you haven't seen anything like the abuse a horse trailer and its tires take, thru fields ,barn lots, jumping curbs, over rocks thru streams and running 70-80 mph down the highway to the next show....I check my tire pressure religiously and grease my bearings every year. Now jump to 2007 when I bought my Keystone Cougar fifth wheel. My first trip to Florida I blew two of the four tires. I know for a fact the tires were properly inflated, the camper was not over loaded and the trailer had not been run thru barn lots, hay fields and over curbs. My second year coming to Florida I had two blowouts. I have bought five new tires for this trailer since 08........Do I think its defective tires from China, you bet, right along with the tainted baby food, drywall, led painted toys, Fake prescription drugs and a whole list of trash we import from them...
I agree. If it looks like a duck.... been towing trailers since 1972, three have been campers. First one has Max is and towed 10,000+ mile in 6 years without any tire issues. Next one had trail express. Blew three in less than 3000 miles. Caught the fourth one just in time. My other brand too a lot of abuse. The trail express were babied and still failed, to the tune of $5000+ in trailer damage.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shocks on the trailer is a much easier solution. Solves the problem of trailer bouncing and transferring that motion to the tow vehicle. We travel with the coffee maker (sans carafe) and ice maker on the rear counter and they never move. (rear kitchen)
I have review some of the post on the shock subject and they don't seem to be available. While I am handy and probable could install a kit, I am not anxious to fabricate something the complex and prone to problems if done improperly. Unless there is a kit I can't find.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #25

Monroe used to make a shock kit for trailers. Rb 511, rb 512, and rb 513 were the part numbers. Looks like ShockWarehouse may carry them....
Old 09-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Don't know of any kit available for torsion axles as the problem is attaching the shock to the arm or spindle backing plate. I designed a bolt on set but never actually built them. Would make a plywood template to check fit before having metal cut. PM me if you would like the dwgs of the arm brackets.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlreed View Post
Monroe used to make a shock kit for trailers. Rb 511, rb 512, and rb 513 were the part numbers. Looks like ShockWarehouse may carry them....
Don't see noting for Ibeam frames as I have... And not much except square channel frames.