Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2019, 02:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You still haven't answered where you're getting these payload numbers.
Rarely does the yellow sticker payload number, that ends in 000 or 00.
This is third payload number you've posted, that look like brochure numbers.
Yes I apologize you are right, I am indeed looking at brochure numbers as I forgot to write them down when I was at the dealership yesterday. I am clear on the exact trim/version as I am looking at a specific unit the dealership is trying to "get rid of" but gives me "best numbers" the Tundra can give me: 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 4x4.
Big51810321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
You could get a sweet fully bulletproofed Diesel, do the upgrades to get you most of the toys like a backup camera, etc for way under that and it would haul your camper without breaking a sweat for 500k or more.

You'd do all of that getting better fuel economy and with less maintenance too.

I don't know about your particular situation but it would be a no-brainer for me.
I have thought about it..

It would put me in the upper part of my range, but getting a 2016 is possible.

However, I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE at all with this engine...

Would definitely need to research it, any input will be appreciated
Old 06-27-2019, 03:08 PM   #23

Here is my .02, I have been looking to move up to a half ton from my Canyon pulling a 2109S. The Canyon does well in flat South Louisiana, but I am down to 200lb of cargo capacity, although I have not had to leave anything home. So from my research here is what I have seen.

Ram is the low end speaking of cargo, I cannot find any package that has a GVWR of more the 6900 lbs.

Chevy/GMC 7400 lbs GVWR 6.2 engine, with Max tow(6.2 only availabe on SLT and higher models).

Ford 7800lb GVWR (and available 36 gal fuel tank) 3.5 eco with HD cargo package. only seems to be available in XL/XLT trims.

Of course curb weight will vary depending on options, but this gives you an idea of cargo capacity, which will be the first thing that hits capacity besides rear axle.

I wont consider diesel, would take 8-10 years to offset the increased cost.
SquiggyFreud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #24

I have a 2014 Tundra and tow a 21' which does fine. I would caution you on buying a Tundra though. Do a Google search " Toyota cam tower oil leak" and you will find out that several of the 5.7 motors develop a oil leak which cost around 3,000$ to fix.

I bought mine new in 14 and it has started to leak, of course the warranty expired in May so I called Toyota Corp and they provided no help even though I only have 24k miles. This problem has plagued several model years....I not sure they have addressed the problem yet. I would be very leery of buying a Tundra.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:25 PM   #25

Too many people take that salesman's pitch and sticker weight. The Dry Weight is only a starting point for knowing if you vehicle is even capable. With this rig go ahead and take the dry and cargo weight and say 7600 Lbs. That is getting really close to an Armada's capacity for towing. You have to consider what tongue weight your TV is really capable of... this rig is over 630 lbs tongue weight. Consider if you will be carrying in the way of cargo in back of Armada or TV, any passengers? Also the folks that tow with Armadas or Tundra can tell how they tow and perform.

2019 Ford SD F-350 SRW Lariat
Tow & Gooseneck Prep
FX4 Off Road (4X4)
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:31 PM   #26

the weight listed on the brochure for a travel trailer does not include the weight of the propane bottles or batteries that weight needs to be added to the brochure listed weight to get close to actual tongue weight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big51810321 View Post
Yes I apologize you are right, I am indeed looking at brochure numbers as I forgot to write them down when I was at the dealership yesterday. I am clear on the exact trim/version as I am looking at a specific unit the dealership is trying to "get rid of" but gives me "best numbers" the Tundra can give me: 2019 Toyota Tundra SR5 CrewMax 4x4.
That's the problem with brochure payload numbers, they aren't specific to how each truck is built and equipped.
The yellow sticker is specific to that particular vehicle, when it left the factory. Higher trim levels will have lower payloads, compared to lower trim levels, because that bling adds weight.
Based on my research 2 years ago, for crewcab 1/2 tons, the F150 3.5 EcoBoost has been the one with the highest payload and towing capacity. 2nd was GMC/Chevrolet. 3rd was the Titan. Ram and Tundra were at the bottom. I found that their crewcabs, often had payloads in the 800lbs range. Ram supposedly addressed this with the 2019 Ram 1/2 tons.
Payload stickers aren't a substitute for actual scale weights but it's a place to start since you can't take it to a scale.
They give a ballpark number, so you can start doing the math.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM   #28
Multi-Slacker

I am of the opinion that 7500 lbs is a good rule-of-thumb for a ½ ton truck. You have to decide where you want to be in terms of margins: safety, wear, performance. I like plenty of margin so I opted for a 3/4 ton truck. Got a brand new 3/4 ton Chevy for well under $40k. Since ½ tons are in high demand, you may well be able to get a 3/4 ton for the same or less money. Go to the lots armed with the most info you have. Consider internet sales. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:16 PM   #29

Sorry neither of those will work. Also, figure your hitch weight to GVWR, forget the dry weights. You can find a decent truck to row with in your range. I will soon be selling a 2016 F360 4x4 6.7 at the low range you mentioned. They are out there.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #30

You don't say where you are or where you want to travel. If you're going to be towing up mountains, especially in the west, no way would I tow that thing without a 3/4 ton. *IF* you're in a flat area and towing locally, you might get the right equipped 1/2 ton to work, but then it'd be a stretch.

CCC is listed at 1355 lbs. That's rather low IMO. Load it up for camping and I'm pretty sure you are going to weigh close to the GVWR of 6635 lbs or even over, esp. with a full holding tank. At the average 12% - 13% tongue wt., based on 6635 lbs, you will have in the order of 800 - 900 lbs of actual TW. If you have a family and a crew cab full of kids, pets and camping "stuff" in the back, that can easily put you into 3/4T territory.

Never go by RV manufacturers dry weights. They ALWAYS go up when you're loaded up. Options can add weight too. And I wouldn't trust the payload capacity on the door jamb sticker on a TV. Best thing is to run through a scale when it's fully loaded with humans, pets, camping stuff and a full tank of fuel. Then subtract that from the GVWR. We just got a new 3/4T crew cab truck and after going through a scale, the actual payload cap. is way less than the sticker amount.

FWIW, we wore out the tranny in a previous F150 by towing up and down the west coast at the payload & towing cap. of the TT we had at the time and that was with only around 100K miles on the F150. We've had an F250 with V10 for the past 7 years and have towed our 7L lb 29' TT all over mountains in 7 western states and in the Canadian Rockies with it. Couple of weeks ago, the V10 grenaded and not fixable and not worth a new engine. Relatively low miles also. Now we have a nice "new" 2102 GMC Sierra 2500HD. Towed our TT only once with it so far over BC's infamous Coquihalla hwy. Much slower than the V10 F250 and not exactly impressed. Have never once been passed by a loaded semi, but quite a few did on the way home.

Note that 1/2 tons may *look* okay on numbers, but 3/4T trucks are a lot beefier all around. Torque and HP matter too. Longer wheelbase is def. good for sway and handling. If we were to ever get another truck, it'd be 4x2. A 4x4 is a lot higher off the ground (PITA to get in & out of), weighs a lot more and reduces payload cap. and is more "stuff" to maintain. Have never needed 4x4 once.

You're always going to get replies all over the map on questions like this. Would be easier to talk politics.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #31

Cellphone photos

Quote:
Use your cellphone. Take pictures of the stickers on all the trucks (and all the trailers) you look at.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:00 AM   #32

I'll agree with others that said it was probably easier to talk politics or religion than it is to get into the whole truck debate on this site.

While a 1/2 ton will do it, I'd still suggest a 3/4 or 1-ton. I spent a year of my life chasing upgrades to make my previous tow vehicle work and in the end decided it just wasn't worth it. I ended up with a 1-Ton dually because it was cheaper both from a initial purchase price as well as from an insurance perspective.

Look at bigger trucks from any of the big three. Modern emissions are the killer of most Diesel engines. A delete is the best way to address the problems long term. A properly equipped Diesel will have you hauling well into the 500,000 mile mark and beyond. If you're the type to buy a new truck every few years then maybe go with a gasser.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronheater70 View Post
Dont start looking at 3/4 tons or 1 tons for that weight.. Most properly equipped 1/2 ton's of any Manufacturer should be able to tow that Fine. Because of the length, Proper WD and Sway control is a must.
Well this is why I am starting to think that the Titan XD with the 5.6 gas engine is interesting, thanks to its 2500 lbs payload.

If I end up discarding it, i'll just go full tilt with an F-250
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Well this is why I am starting to think that the Titan XD with the 5.6 gas engine is interesting, thanks to its 2500 lbs payload.

If I end up discarding it, i'll just go full tilt with an F-250
I believe that the 2500lbs of payload capacity, is the max IF properly equipped.
Its probably for a base level regular cab model.
Big, have you actually looked at the payload stickers on an actual XD, instead of brochure numbers?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 06-29-2019, 08:01 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I believe that the 2500lbs of payload capacity, is the max IF properly equipped.
Its probably for a base level regular cab model.
Big, have you actually looked at the payload stickers on an actual XD, instead of brochure numbers?
Gonna be doing the dealership rounds starting Tuesday since I have a day off!
Old 06-29-2019, 08:33 PM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Gonna be doing the dealership rounds starting Tuesday since I have a day off!
Great, take a pic of the sticker cause a lot if us would be interested.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:51 PM   #37

The trailer towing sae test only tells you performance of a vehicle in ideal weather. It only tells you what you can tow in a straight line on a day with no cross wind. And can stop on dry pavement.

The trailer looks like A corvette filled with concrete blocks. Aerodynamically very good. Cross winds are ignored.

You are towing a 35’ long box 8’ wide and 12’ high. Great wind resistance. Big sail.

The wall of the trailer applies enough side pressure to move a 30’ four ton sailboat. Translation. The trailer will try hard to change lanes in a cross wind. Or when a truck passes you anywhere. Some small trucks roll over. You will feel every bump. All noises will scare you and the wife. Long drives will be stressful.

A #2000 heavier truck will feel better.

Both you mentioned would be marginal on good days. Dangerous on others.

A half ton with a payload of more than #2000 would be better.

If you plan on a lot of mileage I would be looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

A three year old Ram diesel tradesman would be dandy.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomkatb View Post
The trailer towing sae test only tells you performance of a vehicle in ideal weather. It only tells you what you can tow in a straight line on a day with no cross wind. And can stop on dry pavement.

The trailer looks like A corvette filled with concrete blocks. Aerodynamically very good. Cross winds are ignored.

You are towing a 35’ long box 8’ wide and 12’ high. Great wind resistance. Big sail.

The wall of the trailer applies enough side pressure to move a 30’ four ton sailboat. Translation. The trailer will try hard to change lanes in a cross wind. Or when a truck passes you anywhere. Some small trucks roll over. You will feel every bump. All noises will scare you and the wife. Long drives will be stressful.

A #2000 heavier truck will feel better.

Both you mentioned would be marginal on good days. Dangerous on others.

A half ton with a payload of more than #2000 would be better.

If you plan on a lot of mileage I would be looking for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

A three year old Ram diesel tradesman would be dandy.

Well thanks everyone!!
I'll be picking up a brand new GMC Sierra in a couple of weeks!
CrewCab, ample payload, standard box!
Old 07-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Well thanks everyone!!
I'll be picking up a brand new GMC Sierra in a couple of weeks!
CrewCab, ample payload, standard box!
Nice, pls fill us in on the specs... engine, payload, gear ratio, etc
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #40

Towing

The SUVs do not work as well for a tow veichle, due to they are more set for comfort w/ softer rear springs and addition weight. That is a 35' plus trailer that will work like a big sail. The Tundra is a great truck, but cargo weight is low for that size trailer. I towed a 31', 7500 lb. loaded trailer for 2 years w/ my Tundra that had, sway bar, Timbron's, and 5100 Bilstein shocks. I had the crew max w/ 1360 lb. cargo max. To me that was the max I would suggest towing w/ Tundra on flat ground. I switched to Ford HD this month.
I would suggest looking at a Ford F-250 gas. You will get better brakes, bigger
gas tank and better milage w/ towing. It makes for a much more enjoyable towing experience w/ only a slight difference in ride for a daily driver
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prime time, tracer