Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Cleaning EPDM Rubber Roof

Does anyone have a good way to clean stains off a EPDM rubber roof?
I've tried Dawn dishwashing liquid as some have said but the stains are still there. The stains are where my A/C's condensate run and where leaves have sat. Does the Camco rubber roof cleaner and conditioner work on the EPDM ?
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #2

I've used just the rubber roof cleaner and wasn't really impressed. In your case I'd be careful, removing the stain may be more harmful that letting it stay. There are some very knowledgeable people and you should get some good advice. I'd be careful how strong of a cleaner I hit it with though.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I don't own a camper with a rubber roof, but will throw this out. Westley's Bleach White, found in auto parts section. It is made to clean car tires, and works well. Use at your own risk.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I work for a roofing company and we have installed epdm for 15 years I will ask .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Cleaning EPDM Rubber Roof

i got all you need to know !

Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or BriteTEK roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.
1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually.
For normal cleaning:
- Use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RC160C concentrate to clean complete roof or RP-RC320S ready to use cleaner in a spray bottle for smaller areas. (See CAUTION below.)
- Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with 2 or 3 gallons of water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle.
- For more difficult stains, you may use RP-RC160C in its original concentrated form. For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery.
2. Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap, or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These conditions may result in irremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may have to increase the frequency of your cleaning.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION: - Carlisle Brite-Ply EPDM and BriteTEK roofing membrane is specially formulated for exposure to the sun and natural elements. However, it can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Use caution when placing any articles or walking on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can be easily repaired using Dicor’s #401-PR or #402-PR roof repair kits. Contact your local dealer or Dicor Corporation.
- Cleaning lap sealant used around roof mounted accessories and railings: If soap and water do not clean the seal to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal.
- Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period or time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
- If additional UV protection is desired, apply Dicor’s RP-RG320S Rubber Roof Guard Protectant immediately after cleaning.
CLEANING MOLD AND/OR MILDEW FROM RUBBER ROOFING MATERIALS NEEDED:
  • BUCKET OF WATER
  • SPONGE
  • MEDIUM BRISTLE BRUSH
  • TILEX BATHROOM CLEANER
There are no ingredients in EPDM rubber roofing that will promote the growth of mold and/or mildew. Atmospheric dirt, shade, sun, humidity and moisture are some of the contributing factors that form mold and/or mildew. Regular cleaning of your rubber roof will help prevent mold and/or mildew from forming on the EPDM roof. Dicor recommends that you wash your roof an average of 3-4 times a year using a non-abrasive cleaner and a medium plastic bristle brush. Mold and/or mildew on your EPDM roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof and grows – similar to bathroom mold that grows in your shower. It does not attack the membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed. Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
(Kim)

Wow!!!!!
I hope you 'copy and pasted' that
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
Wow!!!!!
I hope you 'copy and pasted' that

Id like to say I did ! But my spelling nor my punctuation is that good not to mention ive never had a typing class

YES copy and paste .
carlisle is munufacture for dicor roofing epdm white membrane .
Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 PM   #8

Where would I get the cleaner from?
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Dicor Corporation | The Dicor Corporation | Official Website
Old 09-28-2011, 04:40 PM   #10

Good info f1100turbo!

I had to click your Thanks button on that one.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

No problem ! My boss has been around the product for years. The the actual dicor/carlise white epdm that is on rv's we have used in the past but does not work as well as another product we use . Also we mostly use reinforced as well .
Gee if I ever need my roof replaced it'll be on the cheap !
Old 09-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

OK folks, lets all 'fess up now. How many of you actually climb up and clean your RV roof "at least four times annually " ??

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Phlunky

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Good info f1100turbo!

I had to click your Thanks button on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
OK folks, lets all 'fess up now. How many of you actually climb up and clean your RV roof "at least four times annually " ??

...VTX-AL
Ummm, I've not even owned it for 4 months. But, no I dont see that happening
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post

...VTX-AL

Thanks for reminding me that I wanted to call the trailer place and ask if they will do a roof cleaning when they do the roof inspection.
I'm a pretty handy kinda gal, but I think that cleaning the roof would be a real PITA multiplied by 1000.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I do mine twice a year fall an summer
Old 09-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #16

The roof is pretty easy to clean, but I usually only do it twice a year. I usually clean the roof, then wash the sides and then wax the sides, once in the spring and once in the fall.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:16 PM   #17

I like to get up on the roof and crow like rooster somedays Seriously, cleaning the roof is probability the most important thing on the unit. I rarely hear any RVer say his walls leak or the walls and floors need replacing because I failed to do maintenance on them. If you can operate a broom, leaf blower and mop is very EZ to do. The only problem is being up there and drop the hose, then its back down the ladder (that was not designed for climbing) and climbing back up. I would be cautious of using any petroleum products on the roof. That was one thing they stressed at the plant...
brw549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #18
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brw549 View Post
If you can operate a broom, leaf blower and mop is very EZ to do.
At ground level yes it would be very easy to do, however, the thought of being being on a small, wet, slippery, sloped roof makes me want to
Old 10-02-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
Commercial Member

I found this link that might be helpful with some answers.

Dicor offers tips on caring for rubber roofs > RV Daily Report |

Good luck!

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
i got all you need to know !

Proper care and maintenance of your recreational vehicle, including your Brite-Ply or BriteTEK roof, is important for trouble-free performance. Normal maintenance is simple, easy, and requires no special material.
1. Keep your roof clean. Clean your roof at least four (4) times annually.
For normal cleaning:
- Use Dicor Rubber Roof Cleaner RP-RC160C concentrate to clean complete roof or RP-RC320S ready to use cleaner in a spray bottle for smaller areas. (See CAUTION below.)
- Rinse complete roof with clean water to remove any loose dirt or debris.
- Using a medium bristle brush, along with the cleaner mixed with 2 or 3 gallons of water, scrub the entire roof. Rinse thoroughly with clean water to avoid residue build-up on the roof or sidewalls of the vehicle.
- For more difficult stains, you may use RP-RC160C in its original concentrated form. For stubborn stains, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits. DO NOT use mineral spirits in a large area or allow it to soak into the membrane.
CAUTION: DO NOT use cleaners or conditioners containing petroleum solvents, harsh abrasives, or citric-based cleaners. You may cause irreparable damage to your roof and/or may void your warranty. Use caution when working on top of your vehicle. The wet membrane may be extremely slippery.
2. Beware of areas where fruit, tree sap, or harsh environmental fall-out may stay on the roof for an extended period of time. These conditions may result in irremovable stains. If you are in these conditions, you may have to increase the frequency of your cleaning.
OTHER HELPFUL INFORMATION: - Carlisle Brite-Ply EPDM and BriteTEK roofing membrane is specially formulated for exposure to the sun and natural elements. However, it can be cut or punctured by sharp objects. Use caution when placing any articles or walking on the roof. If damage does occur, the membrane can be easily repaired using Dicor’s #401-PR or #402-PR roof repair kits. Contact your local dealer or Dicor Corporation.
- Cleaning lap sealant used around roof mounted accessories and railings: If soap and water do not clean the seal to your satisfaction, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to wipe away dirt build-up on the seal.
- Repairing lap sealant or adding sealant: If, after a period or time, the lap sealant needs touched-up or additional seal is needed, use a cloth dampened with mineral spirits to eliminate all foreign materials from the surface of the seal, let set for at least 15 minutes and apply Dicor lap sealant (#501LS, #502LS, #551LS) directly over the existing seal – allowing the new sealant to touch the EPDM and/or accessory surface.
- If additional UV protection is desired, apply Dicor’s RP-RG320S Rubber Roof Guard Protectant immediately after cleaning.
CLEANING MOLD AND/OR MILDEW FROM RUBBER ROOFING MATERIALS NEEDED:
  • BUCKET OF WATER
  • SPONGE
  • MEDIUM BRISTLE BRUSH
  • TILEX BATHROOM CLEANER
There are no ingredients in EPDM rubber roofing that will promote the growth of mold and/or mildew. Atmospheric dirt, shade, sun, humidity and moisture are some of the contributing factors that form mold and/or mildew. Regular cleaning of your rubber roof will help prevent mold and/or mildew from forming on the EPDM roof. Dicor recommends that you wash your roof an average of 3-4 times a year using a non-abrasive cleaner and a medium plastic bristle brush. Mold and/or mildew on your EPDM roof is simply a parasite that attaches itself to the roof and grows – similar to bathroom mold that grows in your shower. It does not attack the membrane but is unsightly and if allowed to grow will discolor the roof completely and may become a stain that cannot be removed. Please note, the removal of mold and/or mildew is not a job to be rushed.
Great post Turbs, I have spent most of this evening following your advice and my roof is looking great again. I haven't cleaned it in 2 years and it sets out under oak trees, so you can imagine.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote