Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #1

Coach bumps and groans at camp site

Our Sanibel 3600 has the Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System. DW has complained to me about noises she hears and bumps that she feels during her stay in the coach on her days off last week. The "bumps" or "jerking" feels like someone "drunk walked" into the coach, yet no one is out side.
Well, I stayed up all day and night Saturday listening for the noise. Started the day checking the leveling system display for pitch and yaw. Both at 0.0 deg. The temp was 70 to 75 f. during the day. When the sun went down, so did the outside temps. At approx 1:00 am the Sanibel jerked and the coach made a bang noise. The noise was not loud and the jerk was not harsh. DW slept through it. I checked the leveling system display and the coach was still dead level. Outside temp at 42 f. Ground is dry and firm around coach. Did not see or hear anyone around the outside of the coach. Sunday morning was a cold one, but the outside temp climbed quickly to 72 f. and as the temp increased, the Sanibel groaned like the hydraulic slides do at the end of their travel extending or retracting. I checked the leveling system display during the day and the coach stayed dead level.
I have some questions about this issue;
1) Anyone else had this happen?
2) Could this be caused by the contraction and expansion of the hydraulic fluid in the leveling and slide out cylinders?
3) Once the system is under pressure, does the system compensate for the changes in temperature of the hydraulic fluid?
I want all who read this, please understand that this noise and jerk issue would not have caused me to wake up at night. I am asking about this because we don't know if this is normal, and Lippert knows about it, or do we have a real problem starting to happen.
We love our Sanibel, and are proud to have stepped up from a travel trailer to a quality 5th wheel coach.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #2

Talked with Lippert tech support. The noises and bounce in the coach are a common problem. This is caused by a hydraulic fluid leak or air in the hydraulic cylinders. After bleeding the air from the right side cylinders, the noise has stopped. Left the Level up jacks down for the week. I will check for any bounce next time out.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

thought you might want to see this thread. and here is the update on it
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
thought you might want to see this thread. and here is the update on it
Thanks for the info. But from what I read in post #28, the landing gear system used was electric gear drive on a weak frame with a bad weld at the mounting point of the landing gear.
The Sanibel uses the hydraulic system on all jacks, landing gear, and the living room slides.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #5

We just got back from a three day camping trip and experienced the same thing the last night of our stay. Have to take the trailer back in for some warranty work. I'll have them bleed the system while it's there. Thanks for the FU info.
Brad
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Coach is much better. Haven't seen a leak.
Old 05-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usraptor View Post
We just got back from a three day camping trip and experienced the same thing the last night of our stay. Have to take the trailer back in for some warranty work. I'll have them bleed the system while it's there. Thanks for the FU info.
Brad
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

I believe the lippert system is self bleeding. If it is a relatively new unit system may have to be exercised several times to fully purge air.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #9

FU = Follow Up.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieLynn View Post
FU = Follow Up.
What she said: FU=s follow up. Sorry for any confusion.
usraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I believe the lippert system is self bleeding. If it is a relatively new unit system may have to be exercised several times to fully purge air.
Yes it is. The problem with just using the jacks is some air stays in the cylinder. I was told to extend the jacks all the way, on one side, in manual mode. Then, continue to deadhead the pump to compress the air in the cylinder (about 10 seconds). Then bring the jacks all the way up and deadhead the pump again. Check the tank for air/foam in the hydraulic fluid. No air = ok. Air in fluid = do it again AFTER PUMP COOLS DOWN. (This causes the fluid to heat up and the motor to work hard.) You'll need the tv to bleed the front landing jacks. Do NOT pick up the tv with the coach landing jacks.