Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

Collapsed A/c duct - Crusader

I have a Crusader 351REQ that the main A/C has never cooled when the outside air is above 85. After 3 warranty trips to the dealer and 2 phone calls to Prime Time I decided to try repairing it myself. After scoping the dutwork I first added a new return air inlet directly below the roof unit. That raised the outlet air temp. from 36 to 48 deg F which made a significant improvement.

I also found one of the ducts between the kitchen and bathroom is partially collapsed. You can feel the difference in airflow between it and the other duct. I don't want to tear out the ceiling so my first attempt was to wedge in a few pieces of PVC pipe. All I had on hand was schedule 40 which because of the thick walls doesn't help much. I will try the thin wall PVC next time I make a trip into town.

Has anyone else tried to repair a collapsed duct? & how if so did you do it? Even after I get these 2 repairs done I believe the air flow will still be insufficient.

Harold Wilson
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:47 AM   #2

I have a Sanibel 3601 and the living room ac also does not seem to cool well. Was thinking about adding the additional return vent. Any pictures available of your process.
Jim Brand
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Sorry, I didn't take any useful photos that show how I did it.

What I did was take the cover off the roof unit, then reaching down thru the return area of the roof unit and drill a small hole thru the ceiling at the center along the back edge of the opening that is cut thru the roof for the return duct. Then using that hole I outlined an opening the size of the return grille and cut out the ceiling als cutting thru the return duct. While I had it open I used compressed air to blow out the trash in the duct (insulation, sawdust, nails, large nailing staples, copper tubing). I used metal foil tape to line and smooth the edges of the opening the factory cut in the roof. I glued some small strips of 1/4" wood to the ceiling to help hold the screws. Lowes has a return duct grille the same size as the two already in the ceiling. I cut a piece of washable cut to size filter material and then screwed the grill in place sandwiching the filter between the grille and ceiling.

This is photo of the opening before adding the grille. The new opening is in the center.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1111.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	144210

Later I also found another restriction in the supply ductwork near the roof unit. To reach that I cut two additional supply outlets, reached in and used matal tape to tape up the loose ductwork, then added an aftermarket supply outlet cover that can be closed or opened. I was able also to reach in the supply duct near the bathroom and tape it. So far both seem to be holding. Both these are at joints in the duct material where it appears they were inadequately taped together in assembly.

Harold Wilson
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

I have a 2015 Sanibel and have problems with both a/c units. Had Camping World check it out and they slipped wood blocks in the collapsed ducts. Works great. Now there is a Freon leak and they said I have to get a new a/c unit. Very few hours on the a/c and the dingbat at Dometic said some last some Dont. Now the front unit is shot. I think I made a big mistake buying a Sanibel
kayakerfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:07 AM   #5

Have a 2017 Sanibel and main ac lasted two months. Replacement still working. Unbelievable
6 years weekend camping Class C
2017 camping 20 days and counting
Brand2328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakerfc View Post
I have a 2015 Sanibel and have problems with both a/c units. Had Camping World check it out and they slipped wood blocks in the collapsed ducts. Works great. Now there is a Freon leak and they said I have to get a new a/c unit. Very few hours on the a/c and the dingbat at Dometic said some last some Dont. Now the front unit is shot. I think I made a big mistake buying a Sanibel

When did you buy it has a two year warranty
gmcdually05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcdually05 View Post
When did you buy it has a two year warranty

X2 If it's less than 2 years old (date of purchase) don't let Camping World touch it. Take it to a REGULAR Forest River dealer who is aware that these units have 2 year warranties.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader