Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
Complete Nightmare

Yesterday I went to check out my Lacosse which has been sitting all winter. Found that the bedroom window on the passenger side was leaking. So I call up my dealer, and fortunatly they were able to take the trailer right away and store it inside out of the rain. Here's where it gets better. I'm on my way to the dealership with my trailer, stopped at a red light, and a semi rolls back into my truck. The guy even had the nerv to blame me for rear ending him!!! After a little bit of arguing, and me loosing my cool, he agreed to pay for the repairs. Now I have no truck and no trailer. Great start to the camping season!
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

How bad is the camper? Does it look like it has been leaking all winter damage wise? Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully they get it fixed quick
6.4 tow rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Drinkin beer on the beach

Hey, nobody was hurt right.

Sorry to hear about the truck AND the trailer... They'll get you fixed up, but things could always be worse.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

Thanks. The camper actually looks good. There was no damage that I could find. If I hadn't been putting clothes in the closet I never would have noticed the water. There were no puddles so I think the leak just started. Fortunatly it's in better shape then the truck.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Drinkin beer on the beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiman1983 View Post
Thanks. The camper actually looks good. There was no damage that I could find. If I hadn't been putting clothes in the closet I never would have noticed the water. There were no puddles so I think the leak just started. Fortunatly it's in better shape then the truck.
After giving such a glowing review about FR to a guy on here who was waiting to pick his up...

I walked in one morning and found the front bedroom and half the livingroom flooded. And the front storage as well. This was just after some rain. I had left the trailer connected to water, and thought maybe that was the problem. I mopped up all the water and put a fan in the door and left the front storage open. It took about 3 days to fully dry.

Thats when I went looking for the leak and found a bunch of loose connections on the water heater. The heater is sort of under the bed, and sort of in the front compartment. I also caulked all of the wall and floor joints to keep any more water leaks contained.

So, I was leaving the vents open and the front compartment open to make sure it was REALLY dry in there when a storm came though while I was at work. Yes, flooded the trailer again.

This time I noticed the rain gutters were pouring water right onto the windows and front compartment doors. That could explain the water leaking in there, so I picked up some rain gutter extenders and waited for rain. Well, they sort of worked in that there were only puddles in the front compartment instead of the usual lake.

I found a couple of penetrations from the awning screws that looked like they could be allowing water entry so I sealed those up.

Today, I found the front storage door frames were a little warped when they screwed them into the jambs. I can see a spot about 10 inches long where the door doesn't make contact with the seal. Its also where the door happens to stick out from the siding about 3/16ths of an inch. Right where the rain gutter was pouring water. I think an extra strip of foam should fix that right up. Then I'll have to wait for some more rain.

Thankfully it only rains about 4 times a year around here.

Not sure why I had to tell you all that.
Except that a little moisture isn't going to ruin the trailer as long as it isn't prolonged.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Keeping any camper watertight is an ongoing fight. Water is nature's universal solvent and I swear it dissolves Dicor right off the roof and around the window frames.

Not to excuse poor workmanship, but if you don't do a walk around and touch up monthly you are open for surprises in a big rain storm.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #7

Sorry to hear about your troubles Ron. I'm hoping that's it's something simple on my trailer. First thought that the dealer had was the awning screws. So I'll keep verybody posted as to what they find. Since it's the first sing of water in the trailer I'm confident that there will be no other damage.

You guys are right, water is always the biggest challenge. Hopefully after this it won't be.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #8

So just an update on the situation, the trailer had a bad window seal. The dealership has been excellent. They parked it inside their shop for the weekend since it was still raining and fixed it on Monday. It's been outside in the rain since then and no leaks! They will keep checking on it until I pick it up on the weekend.

Regarding my truck, it's all cosmetic damage. Mostly paint and moldings so that's not too bad. The worst part is dealing with the other guys insurance.