Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Correct Tire Pressure

I have 235/80/16 on my 290 RLT. The tire and the trailer say max cold @ 80 psi. I just checked them and have 60 psi in each tire...the way it came from the dealer. I read several posts and am still not sure what is correct. Do I need to increase them to 80 psi or are they okay at 60 psi? I know the 80 is cold however with all of the tire horror stories I have read I don't want increase my chances for a blow out. Thanks.

Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #2

What I do and what I would do

I run mine at max cold. I suggest you do the same. Not enough air can cause a blow out on a bad bump or pothole & cause the tire to run hot. Trailer tires are bad enough without adding to the problem.

IMHO

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Inflate & run at max listed PSI
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #4

Yes, run them at what the trailer sticker says.

A friend of mine ran his at 45 for almost a year because that's what they came from the dealer with. Finally he noticed the sticker on the RV that said 60! He's very lucky he didn't have a blowout.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #5

It depends on some things.
If the tires are ST ( special trailer), then the maximum load is calculated for more deflection because that is allowed at lower speed ( 65m/h).
So try to determine the maximum speed of the tire. J stands for 100km/62m/h and Q stands for 160km/99m/h. If you now have a low speed tire with that more deflection allowed, substact 15% for STor J speedcode of the maximum load before filling in in my Traveltrailer-tire-pressure calculator.
You also need the AT-pressure/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure ( your 80 psi given on the tire.
And the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) or real weight .
and ofcource the number of tires on the road when driving ( so not spare and nosewheel) .
Because most trailers have tires that can bare yust enaugh to carry the GAWR, the needed pressure is mostly that AT-pressure , but higher is allowed.
Even stiffer TRA system allows 10 psi extra above your 80 psi so 90 psi .
And because of the yust enaugh maximum load, in combination for the lower speed, that 10 psi extra is needed to keep the tires undamaged.

But give all the asked details, and I will give a full report.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
It depends on some things.
If the tires are ST ( special trailer), then the maximum load is calculated for more deflection because that is allowed at lower speed ( 65m/h).
So try to determine the maximum speed of the tire. J stands for 100km/62m/h and Q stands for 160km/99m/h. If you now have a low speed tire with that more deflection allowed, substact 15% for STor J speedcode of the maximum load before filling in in my Traveltrailer-tire-pressure calculator.
You also need the AT-pressure/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure ( your 80 psi given on the tire.
And the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) or real weight .
and ofcource the number of tires on the road when driving ( so not spare and nosewheel) .
Because most trailers have tires that can bare yust enaugh to carry the GAWR, the needed pressure is mostly that AT-pressure , but higher is allowed.
Even stiffer TRA system allows 10 psi extra above your 80 psi so 90 psi .
And because of the yust enaugh maximum load, in combination for the lower speed, that 10 psi extra is needed to keep the tires undamaged.

But give all the asked details, and I will give a full report.

I think my head just exploded. I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I know all of the answers but they are ST tires. The GVW is approximately 11,500 pounds.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post

I think my head just exploded. I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I know all of the answers but they are ST tires. The GVW is approximately 11,500 pounds.
Run at max cold psi listed on tire...all good from there
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Run at max always, make sure you are at max when cold and all identical on the psi, first thing in the morning is a good time to check.

Check often even when hot just expect a higher reading than max and all tires should be the same, +-1 or 2 psi, this could because of uneven loading, camber on a road or most likely the sun on one side and not the other.

Don't trust your dealer! When we collected our RV we did the walk thru and "yes" they had checked the tires, 200 miles later 2 blow outs same side and the other side were at 37 psi should have been 50psi. I ended up replacing all 4 tires! I had to fit E rated its all they had in stock, 30000 miles later I don't regret the few $ extra, I have peace of mind even tho its overkill.

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Info from a real tire engineer.

Shame on your dealer. You can point to the RV Certification label and ask the dealer why he thinks he knows more than the RV MFG or tire engineers.
Maybe the dealer also thinks its ok to run TV engine a qt or two low of oil.

Here is a post explaining why TT should run the inflation molded on the sidewall, which is also probably the inflation on the label.

ST tires are rated to carry more load because they are speed rated at 65 MAX which results in cooler running and their tread depth is less than LT tires which allows cooler running. Since heat is a major killer of tires lower heat helps tires live longer.
I have never seen an ST type tire with an SAE Speed symbol such as J, Q or R etc. so don't be confused by looking for something not on the tires.

We don't need to get into HD techno speak. Just realize that multi-axles place sideloads on the tires not seen by motorhomes, pickups or cars. Increased tire inflation lowers these loads that are trying to tear the belts and tread off the tire body.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yes, run them at what the trailer sticker says.

A friend of mine ran his at 45 for almost a year because that's what they came from the dealer with. Finally he noticed the sticker on the RV that said 60! He's very lucky he didn't have a blowout.
Go by the tire stamp, not the sticker on the trailer. Same goes for the tow rig. I know people that go by the sticker on the door jamb on their truck, but what if the tires they're running are different from the factory ones?

2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, tire