Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Correct Tire Pressure

I have 235/80/16 on my 290 RLT. The tire and the trailer say max cold @ 80 psi. I just checked them and have 60 psi in each tire...the way it came from the dealer. I read several posts and am still not sure what is correct. Do I need to increase them to 80 psi or are they okay at 60 psi? I know the 80 is cold however with all of the tire horror stories I have read I don't want increase my chances for a blow out. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 568
What I do and what I would do

I run mine at max cold. I suggest you do the same. Not enough air can cause a blow out on a bad bump or pothole & cause the tire to run hot. Trailer tires are bad enough without adding to the problem.

IMHO
__________________

__________________

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Inflate & run at max listed PSI
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Yes, run them at what the trailer sticker says.

A friend of mine ran his at 45 for almost a year because that's what they came from the dealer with. Finally he noticed the sticker on the RV that said 60! He's very lucky he didn't have a blowout.
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 137
It depends on some things.
If the tires are ST ( special trailer), then the maximum load is calculated for more deflection because that is allowed at lower speed ( 65m/h).
So try to determine the maximum speed of the tire. J stands for 100km/62m/h and Q stands for 160km/99m/h. If you now have a low speed tire with that more deflection allowed, substact 15% for STor J speedcode of the maximum load before filling in in my Traveltrailer-tire-pressure calculator.
You also need the AT-pressure/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure ( your 80 psi given on the tire.
And the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) or real weight .
and ofcource the number of tires on the road when driving ( so not spare and nosewheel) .
Because most trailers have tires that can bare yust enaugh to carry the GAWR, the needed pressure is mostly that AT-pressure , but higher is allowed.
Even stiffer TRA system allows 10 psi extra above your 80 psi so 90 psi .
And because of the yust enaugh maximum load, in combination for the lower speed, that 10 psi extra is needed to keep the tires undamaged.

But give all the asked details, and I will give a full report.
__________________
jadatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadatis View Post
It depends on some things.
If the tires are ST ( special trailer), then the maximum load is calculated for more deflection because that is allowed at lower speed ( 65m/h).
So try to determine the maximum speed of the tire. J stands for 100km/62m/h and Q stands for 160km/99m/h. If you now have a low speed tire with that more deflection allowed, substact 15% for STor J speedcode of the maximum load before filling in in my Traveltrailer-tire-pressure calculator.
You also need the AT-pressure/maxloadpressure/reference-pressure ( your 80 psi given on the tire.
And the GVWR ( gross vehicle weight rating) or real weight .
and ofcource the number of tires on the road when driving ( so not spare and nosewheel) .
Because most trailers have tires that can bare yust enaugh to carry the GAWR, the needed pressure is mostly that AT-pressure , but higher is allowed.
Even stiffer TRA system allows 10 psi extra above your 80 psi so 90 psi .
And because of the yust enaugh maximum load, in combination for the lower speed, that 10 psi extra is needed to keep the tires undamaged.

But give all the asked details, and I will give a full report.

I think my head just exploded. I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I know all of the answers but they are ST tires. The GVW is approximately 11,500 pounds.
__________________
Smokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Camper Less Camping
 
Cajun Po-Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NW
Posts: 3,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin View Post

I think my head just exploded. I'm a little confused and I'm not sure I know all of the answers but they are ST tires. The GVW is approximately 11,500 pounds.
Run at max cold psi listed on tire...all good from there
__________________
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Nigels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 632
Run at max always, make sure you are at max when cold and all identical on the psi, first thing in the morning is a good time to check.

Check often even when hot just expect a higher reading than max and all tires should be the same, +-1 or 2 psi, this could because of uneven loading, camber on a road or most likely the sun on one side and not the other.

Don't trust your dealer! When we collected our RV we did the walk thru and "yes" they had checked the tires, 200 miles later 2 blow outs same side and the other side were at 37 psi should have been 50psi. I ended up replacing all 4 tires! I had to fit E rated its all they had in stock, 30000 miles later I don't regret the few $ extra, I have peace of mind even tho its overkill.
__________________
Nigel & Bev
Brit Driver & Canadian Naviguesser

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Commercial Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 1,145
Info from a real tire engineer.

Shame on your dealer. You can point to the RV Certification label and ask the dealer why he thinks he knows more than the RV MFG or tire engineers.
Maybe the dealer also thinks its ok to run TV engine a qt or two low of oil.

Here is a post explaining why TT should run the inflation molded on the sidewall, which is also probably the inflation on the label.

ST tires are rated to carry more load because they are speed rated at 65 MAX which results in cooler running and their tread depth is less than LT tires which allows cooler running. Since heat is a major killer of tires lower heat helps tires live longer.
I have never seen an ST type tire with an SAE Speed symbol such as J, Q or R etc. so don't be confused by looking for something not on the tires.

We don't need to get into HD techno speak. Just realize that multi-axles place sideloads on the tires not seen by motorhomes, pickups or cars. Increased tire inflation lowers these loads that are trying to tear the belts and tread off the tire body.
__________________
.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
5verdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Yes, run them at what the trailer sticker says.

A friend of mine ran his at 45 for almost a year because that's what they came from the dealer with. Finally he noticed the sticker on the RV that said 60! He's very lucky he didn't have a blowout.
Go by the tire stamp, not the sticker on the trailer. Same goes for the tow rig. I know people that go by the sticker on the door jamb on their truck, but what if the tires they're running are different from the factory ones?
__________________

__________________
2013 Palomino Sabre 36 QBOK-7
2012 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 CrewCab ShortBed
PullRite SuperSlide 18k IS Rails
2006 HarleyDavidson RoadKing Classic
5verdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pressure, tire

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.