Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #1

Corrugated plastic underbelly?? Is this normal??

I'm new to the camping world and have been looking more at my 370 bhq and notice how flimsy things seem to be with this camper.
But my question is if most camper underbellies are made like this because it appears that a cheap sheet of plastic " garage sale sign " material is used to protect all the components under the camper and if this can rip off while driving.
Is this the norm?
Ronleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:43 AM   #2

I believe that is called Coroplast and it is used on most with an enclosed underbelly. I ran eight years on my first fifth wheel with no issue and on my 4th year with this one. That material may be tougher than you think, We used something similar in the factory and it held up very well there.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:52 AM   #3

Mine is like that. For the most part the underside of my TT looks clean and undamaged.
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronleague View Post
I'm new to the camping world and have been looking more at my 370 bhq and notice how flimsy things seem to be with this camper.
But my question is if most camper underbellies are made like this because it appears that a cheap sheet of plastic " garage sale sign " material is used to protect all the components under the camper and if this can rip off while driving.
Is this the norm?
If your concerned about the Belly Cover and Flimsy,DO NOT remove the cover and see how everything else is Run/Installed above it! Youroo!!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:33 AM   #5

I perfer my underbelly open, so not covered on mine

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #6
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If your concerned about the Belly Cover and Flimsy,DO NOT remove the cover and see how everything else is Run/Installed above it! Youroo!!
No kidding! I think that is why the use the stuff... they can advertise "enclosed underbelly" and cover up their horrible work.

In response to the OP, coroplast is pretty durable stuff and it will stand up just fine. I made some saddle bags out of old campaign signs to use on a dirt bike and they are still going strong 3 years later.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #7

Thanks everyone for your time and responding it cleared things up

Ron
Ronleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:31 AM   #8

Our Cardinal has corrugated sheet metal, it has its advantages and disadvantages. I like that you can remove a single section if you need access, on the other hand there was a time when a section was coming loose on the road due to lost screws. I had to remove that section until I could get replacement screws.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

I'm no expert, but I believe that the reason they cover the underbelly is for less wind resistance, not to hide shoddy work.
tjmezzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjmezzan View Post
I'm no expert, but I believe that the reason they cover the underbelly is for less wind resistance, not to hide shoddy work.

X2 also AIDS bottom insulation.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
That has to be it... with a trailer about as aerodynamic as a brick... a BiG brick; adding coro they went for a new landspeed record. I'm just having fun!
I'm also no expert, but most people expect the belly to be enclosed and this is the least expensive way to do it. It works quite well... other than mine was sagging and laying on the axles (Oh, there was that!) I took it down, insulated floor and all tanks, water lines and tidied up the loose wiring as well; added some wooden strips, reattached coro and all is well now. After 8K miles pulling it is still there. The only thing I would do differently is to replace the coro with 2" foam board and still may.
WW

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
I can't fix everything, but I can make it so nobody else can
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #12

I did the same thing as Wolf Whistle. The project began as only to add a second freshwater tank, but after finding unsecured wiring, crushed ductwork, dripping water lines and leftover construction debris, I spent last winter doing a total underbelly makeover. I replaced the original plastic sheeting with new sheets of coroplast from Home Depot and installed it in easily removable sections for quick servicing.
It was a great learning experience. I now know where everything is and how it is put together.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #13

Hey these days that's the good stuff. The cheaper entry level trailers use a black woven plastic tarp material. I remember our older trailer having galvanized metal. Real solid but weighed a lot too.
Canadiancrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHwy61 View Post
I did the same thing as Wolf Whistle. The project began as only to add a second freshwater tank, but after finding unsecured wiring, crushed ductwork, dripping water lines and leftover construction debris, I spent last winter doing a total underbelly makeover. I replaced the original plastic sheeting with new sheets of coroplast from Home Depot and installed it in easily removable sections for quick servicing.
It was a great learning experience. I now know where everything is and how it is put together.
x10

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-29-2016, 03:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWhistle View Post
That has to be it... with a trailer about as aerodynamic as a brick... a BiG brick; adding coro they went for a new landspeed record. I'm just having fun!
I'm also no expert, but most people expect the belly to be enclosed and this is the least expensive way to do it. It works quite well... other than mine was sagging and laying on the axles (Oh, there was that!) I took it down, insulated floor and all tanks, water lines and tidied up the loose wiring as well; added some wooden strips, reattached coro and all is well now. After 8K miles pulling it is still there. The only thing I would do differently is to replace the coro with 2" foam board and still may.
WW
What did you insulate with? I am going to do this to mine also.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplantcjf View Post
What did you insulate with? I am going to do this to mine also.
I've attached a couple of photos, I had better but can't find right now.

Reflectix mainly for the floors (stapled it up) and a stickon duct insulation for the tanks. The issue is getting it to stick. You have to get all the mold wax off. Doing it again, I would use 2" foam board to span side to side across the frame rails and Reflectix (or the other stuff I linked) on the floor areas between side wall and frame. With the foam, it would probably not be necessary to insulate tanks. But, would add tank heaters if I planned to do any cold weather camping. I would still insulate the pipes with the standard foam commonly used.

Everbilt 3/4 in. x 6 ft. Foam Pipe Insulation-ORP07812 - The Home Depot

I like this stuff as well and used it in my Mustang... insulates and deadens sound.

UltraTouch 48 in. x 75 ft. Radiant Barrier-30000-11475 - The Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation under floor.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	109470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Insulation 1.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	359.6 KB
ID:	109471  

2017 F-250 4x4 6.2L Gas
Old 05-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #17

Underbelly cover

Our 5th is the CC 10 anniversary BH model acquired 2010. Those plastic panels half dropped from it this spring and dragged down the highway which damaged them somewhat. A temp fix in Santa Fe cost $$$. I am just about finished a permanent fix (I hope) which includes 6 pieces of angle iron attached to the frame to support the panels. Hopefully that will prevent drop out ever happening again. In retrospect 3 yrs ago I, like the original poster of this thread, thought them a little flimsy to stay in place just sitting on the flange of the I beam frame but didn't do anything about it. I'd have save significant $$ if I'd installed the steel angle supports then. The plastic panels are very tough but are inadequately anchored.
Djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #18

The Coroplast under belly is great stuff. The use is lighter than metal , non rusting, and due to the air pockets it is condensation resistant to the heated area. It is very easy to access the area above and resealing it with the special tape provided by Darco. We had in the old days to remove dozens of screws and then pull back the heavy bulky metal to access the under carriage area. At today's labor rates it would cost $200.00 + just to get it out of the way. Some used ABS panels below the tanks and that made access easy.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:51 PM   #19

WolfWhistle, Thank you very much. This is a big help.
Old 05-30-2016, 04:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Yes, AND to protect the under carriage from water during wet weather travel. Also helps with heat retention during cold weather use.

Tags
underbelly