Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #1

Red face Crusader 260RLD TV and Radio Antennas

I just joined this forum today and find the inforamtion very helpful. My wife and I purchased a Crusader 260RLD, 5th Wheel last March. I can say we enjoyed every minute of the nearly 100 days we spent using it last year.

One of the only disappointments we have had is with the TV and Radio reception, when we get just short distances from towns or cities. The TV Antenna is a stationary round disk about 10" in diameter mounted on a pedistal which leaves it about 12" from the roof surface. I didn't get any information on this antenna, but I believe it might be a Pioneer. Our TV is the stock Legend TV that came with the 5th Wheel.

There is a Radio/CD Player in the bedroom at the head of the bed and another Radio in the RCA Sound Bar/DVD Player in the Entertainment Center under the TV. I believe I can see an AM Antenna sitting in the cabinet at the end of this Sound Bar. Like I said there is no reception as we get away from cities. I also cannot determine how to get to the plug-ins on the back of the Sound Bar. After reading about sound bars falling out onto the floor, I have the opposite problem.

I read a great review by one of the active participants in this forum on the "Jack" that sounded very interesting, but would like to pursue a fix before I go with a replacement.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn & Darlene Johnson
2011 Crusader 260RLD
2005 Chevrolet Duramax Diesel
lynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 PM   #2

to the forum Lynn & Darlene.

One of my post might have been one that you read. There are a few of us that have switched to the Jack antenna.

Like the Jensen, the Jack antenna does not raise or lower, but you can turn it to dial in better reception. I had my dealer install mine, but M109Rrider did his own install and said it wasn't hard to do.

I don't believe there is a fix for the Jensen, at least I have never heard of one. Your best options are to replace it with the standard batwing or the Jack. I believe Prime Time no longer installs the Jensen and has gone back to the batwing on all their new units.

I did replace the tv with a Vizio from wal mart before I replace the antenna. I guess the Vizio has a better tuner than the Legend because it pulled in more stations.

My Lacrosse doesn't come with a stereo in the bedroom or a soundbar, so I can't help you with that. I haven't had any problems picking up radio stations.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #3

Lynn42, I have a 270ret crusader. My sound bar is screwed in at the bottom of the cabinet and up thru the plastic case of the sound bar. The reason why the sound bars are falling out, is that the screws strip out of the plastic case from the trailer bouncing. I put two large dabs of hot glue above the case. Now the sound bar can not move up and down. The glue dabs are like rubber sims.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #4

Concur with Gary. The only fix for the omni direction Jensen antenna is to replace it with a directional antenna. If you're remotely handy and don't get sick to your stomach at the thought of taking a hole saw to your roof then it's an easy DIY. Winquard or Jack.....it's your preference. Think they work about same per the reviews. I had to go with the Jack because of the location of the antenna. Not enough room on the roof for the windgaurd to lay down. Not sure how the FM antennas work. My sound bar has a wire fm antenna strung around the enclosure and an AM antenna screwed into the side on the inside. The radio in the bedroom seems to get better reception than my sound bar though.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #5

Crusader, How do you like your 270RET? We just bought one last week. We had some minor problems pretty much fixed at the dealer.
everly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by everly View Post
Crusader, How do you like your 270RET? We just bought one last week. We had some minor problems pretty much fixed at the dealer.
We love it. The floor plan works good for us. Had some problems with the couch slide leaking around the seals. Drive motors also were bad in the same slide. Slide hit the T.V. cabinet top, so it had to be replaced. Same slide tore the carpet, so the carpet had to be replaced. When the couch was installed, the couch had a 3'' long screw that went thru the slide floor and that is what tore the carpet. I was begining to think, I made a big mistake buying this fifthwheel. I had a Jayco, I bought new, and had it for 9 years and never took it in for warrarty work. And I mean not a thing. My Crusader went back to the factory two times now. Primetime was good about it. They came up to Michigan, picked it up and shipped it back both times. They extened the warranty for an extra year because of the water leak. The last few times out I have had no problems, thank god. To say the leased, its been a long road. I did learn something that you should know. The slide controller is located under the large Kitchen pan drawer. I would suggest you go to Lippert Components web site and copy the manual for the slide. You can also check out the slide system on youtube.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:57 PM   #7

Thanks for telling me where the controller is. I had already gone to Lippert Components web site and have saved it--also the youtube.
All slides seem to work good, but couch slide seems to work slow at first.
Fresh water hose connection was leaking but dealer replaced and is working fine.
Had to have the sound bar stabilized as one corner was sliding out.
Round Jensen TV antenna would not receive any stations at campsite and had to go to WalMart and buy a flat panel RCA antenna and received 15 stations after hanging it in back window of trailer. We do like the layout of the trailer, opposing slides suit us well. have stayed one week in it and are very comfortable in it. Guess I will have to install another antenna. Sorry you had problems with the slide, sounds like Primetime is at least working with you. We went through two days of rain right after we got the trailer and didn't find any leaks. I hope both of us are finished with problems and can enjoy our 270 ret Crusader for many years to come.
everly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:29 PM   #8

Crusader Antenna Reply

Thanks for you help everyone. I saw the Jack at camping world and was wondering about it. I am an ex Pulp and Paper Mill Maintenance Guy and I am pretty handy, so I would not be afraid to tackle this. I may just do it before we start out camping in the spring. We bought a Grundig Short Wave Radio that brings in stations pretty good and we have a good selection of CD's so the radio fixes may wait until I get some ideas on that part of my question.

Thanks again;
Lynn and Darlene Johnson
2011 Crusader 260RLD
2005 Chevrolet Duramax Diesel
lynn42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, reception, television