Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #1

crusader 290rlt

The new crusader came in this past Wednesday & unfortunately we turned it down. The a/c did not cool hardly at all. After a thorough check by the maint. dept. they stated all was working @ 100% This type unit needs to be upgraded to a 50 amp service so an additional a/c unit can be installed or better insulation.
A sad disappointment to us but glad we did not find this out after purchase!!
Beware of this unit if you live in hot climates.
cag1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #2

We have 4 FRF members who own the 290RLT and I haven't read any post where they say the AC isn't adequate.

Louisiana - rippa - Crusader 290RLT
Missouri - Mikecdrd - Crusader 290RLT
New York - 62car9 - Crusader 290RLT
Pennsylvania - kab449 - Crusader 290RLT

Might have the service techs check it again or contact Prime Time and ask them about it. Here's a link; Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels

Good luck. Hope you find what works for you soon.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #3

We spent the week in Gulf Shores, AL at Gulf State Park. With temps at 100 degrees and not a tree on our site (thanks to hurricane Ivan I think), the AC did have a hard time keeping up. These are what I consider very extreme conditions and most rv's with a single AC would struggle. My old TT (much smaller) with a 15K AC would not keep up in these conditions. I did send an email to Prime Time suggesting upgrading the 290 RLT to 50 amp and make a 2nd AC an option. We were in no way uncomfortable, but the unit did run continous from about 10 am to 8 pm. We still think this is by far the best fifth wheel for the money and we are enjoying every minute we spend in it.

2004 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
16K Curt manual slider hitch
2011 Prime Time Crusader 290RLT
rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM   #4

I was camping over Memorial Day Weekend in 96 Degree Temps and my single 15K AC did an excellent job of keeping the interior a comfortable 73 Degrees. I did add slide toppers which I feel help a lot to reflect the heat away from the interior. I added a 20 amp sub panel to my unit to feed the AC as I did have breaker problems when the girls got showers (using electric for hot water) and fired up the hair dryer. This Crusader is still the best unit I have ever had and I have had about 10 trailers and motorhomes throughout my 56 years. Good luck on your quest.
KAB449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:49 PM   #5

Living here in NY haven't had many days where the AC has been needed yet. We have used it twice once the outside temp was mid 90's the other was high 80's with high humididy both days. The AC did cool it down enough to make it comfortable inside, but I could see where a larger unit or second unit would make things better. The AC pretty much ran all day.

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
290rlt