Old 08-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #1

Crusader 294 Rear Bumper Strength

Has anyone used a spare tire bike rack or added a bumper receiver adapter and then used a receiver hitch bike rack? As many do, I am looking for a safe way to bring along 2 bikes. Total weight of bikes and rack would be approx. 100 lbs. I would rather not add a front receiver to the tow rig. But that will remain an option. Please chime in with thoughts, and/or real life experience.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 AM   #2

I made a hitch receiver for the bumper on my 285RST and bolted it around the bumper.
Most people on here will tell you not to do it as it will void warranty.
I shipped my camper to Australia and apparently this automatically voided my warranty so it didn't worry me.
I did check the way the bar was welded to the frame and could see it was strong enough.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:24 AM   #3

Sorry. I meant 295RST.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

I've used a bumper receiver hitch and a hitch mounted bike rack on my Crusader 335BH and have had no issues. At times I've used 3 bikes, sometimes 2. I check all the welds regularly.I put myself (190 LBS.) on the back of the rack and jumped up and down and felt comfortable that it could carry the weight of 2 or 3 bikes safely even with the bouncing. Most others will tell you not to do it, in fact, the bike rack itself may tell you not to use it on a trailer. The type of bumper you have and how it's attached to the frame is very important.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

With the receiver, is there a spare tire attached to the bumper as well ? The bumper on this 294 seems moderately substantial, more so than some that are soley there as hose storage. Of course, I do not think it stout enough for towing.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #6
William

I've beefed mine up with 4" angle bracing the bumper and welded to the frame, professionally done. I was hesitant to hang anything off of it before I did this, just from the posts I've heard on this site. I pull a trailer with a golf cart on it now.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I've beefed mine up with 4" angle bracing the bumper and welded to the frame, professionally done. I was hesitant to hang anything off of it before I did this, just from the posts I've heard on this site. I pull a trailer with a golf cart on it now.
I am assuming, which has gotten me in trouble, that since a spare tire came attached to the bumper that it has some engineered carrying ability. Would attaching the receiver hitch adapter and bike rack exceed any weight limits the factory bumper might have ?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcopper View Post
I am assuming, which has gotten me in trouble, that since a spare tire came attached to the bumper that it has some engineered carrying ability. Would attaching the receiver hitch adapter and bike rack exceed any weight limits the factory bumper might have ?
I would make that same assumption. In the first year, I exited a parking lot which the angle caused the spare tire to hit the road. In my opinion, the spare hanging from the bumper of a Crusader is to low. I removed it and now carry my spare in the front compartment. It fits snugly behind the front jack rod in that compartment.

You may get additional feedback on this forum that will advise that these bumpers will fail. I didn't give it a chance.
Old 08-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

I also have looked at how the bumper is welded to the frame. In my opinion I believe the bumper is ok to use a bike rack. However....I removed the spare tire and stored it in the front compartment. I won't take a chance on adding the extra weight of a bike carrier plus the weight of bikes plus the weight of a spare tire.

Just take the tire bracket and tire off and replace with your bike carrier. Weight should be a swap with no problem.

I'm just going to be sure they won't bounce too much to strike the back of the rig.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #10

While at the Rally, I noticed many 5th. wheel's with their spare tires mounted underneath.
I looked at how they were mounted to the frame. Seems that one should be able to contact the manufactures of those 5th. wheel's and possibly order a spare tire carrier. Then mount it under the Crusader and all problems solved about bumper tire racks.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader