Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Question Crusader 297RSK

Thinking.......just THINKING about trading our LaCrosse 303RKS in for a Crusader 297RSK.

Crusader Fifth Wheels by Prime Time Manufacturing

The main reason is because of my past knee (both) and back (2) surgeries. I've about had enough of handling my Equalizer hitch. I'm thinking the auto leveling system will be an added bonus as well. Other than that the LaCrosse has been, and still is, a great trailer.
It looks like the floorplan would fit our needs, price is within budget and all tow ratings will easily be within my truck's capabilities.
Anyone out there own one? Would like to know how this floorplan is working for you....pro's & con's.
Thanks in advance,
Gary
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Only thing I don't like about my Prime Time fifth wheel is the main floor construction. Super thin wood, then foam & then more thin wood.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:23 PM   #3

If it's the same as my LaCrosse I won't have a problem with it. It's pretty solid.
It's been a few years since I looked at a Crusader and when I did I was just looking around....not looking to buy. I'll make a note of that when I do.....might be next week.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

Gary, definitely go for the 6 point hydraulic leveling system. I love it. It's quicker than the electric and press one button & go on to something else. ☺
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:03 PM   #5

BTW, you could put air bags in the TV if you think you'll be close on payload (just in case) I did. Truck rides level with 25 lbs in them.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

I think with this unit the hitch weight won't be a problem (1336 dry). If I do purchase the trailer and the truck looks like it's sitting a little low I'll install some air bags then. Already been looking into that some.
What recommendations do you have for a hitch?
Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM   #7

rracer.....Looks like the one I'm looking at has the electronic leveling system. Maybe I'll look around some more.

Old 07-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I think with this unit the hitch weight won't be a problem (1336 dry). If I do purchase the trailer and the truck looks like it's sitting a little low I'll install some air bags then. Already been looking into that some.
What recommendations do you have for a hitch?

I got the (dealer stocked) Husky 16kw. (we had some issues when we ordered the unit and I negotiated to throw in a hitch) I wasn't happy at first but, I've grown to love it. It is built really "beefy" and is either locked or it's not. The locking mechanism and release lever can never be "maybe locked"! The locking spring is very strong and really slams the mechanism locked lining up the tabs to put a pin or padlock through. If they're not lined up, it's not locked!

Your payload seem a little light for a F250. I would go with the Crusader you like and not worry too much. Your truck is more than capable of the pin weights of any of the Crusaders.

Quote:
rracer.....Looks like the one I'm looking at has the electronic leveling system. Maybe I'll look around some more.

I have the same control panel but, are the jacks electric or hydraulic?
Old 07-27-2016, 08:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I got the (dealer stocked) Husky 16kw. (we had some issues when we ordered the unit and I negotiated to throw in a hitch) I wasn't happy at first but, I've grown to love it. It is built really "beefy" and is either locked or it's not. The locking mechanism and release lever can never be "maybe locked"! The locking spring is very strong and really slams the mechanism locked lining up the tabs to put a pin or padlock through. If they're not lined up, it's not locked!

Your payload seem a little light for a F250. I would go with the Crusader you like and not worry too much. Your truck is more than capable of the pin weights of any of the Crusaders.

I have the same control panel but, are the jacks electric or hydraulic?
I'll look into the Husky hitches. That company has been around for awhile and I've used their products before. Always good quality.
Did you get the 16K?

Yeah I'm not sure about the payload....2020 on the yellow sticker but the brochure states 3190. I know that actual payload will be lighter than the brochure due to options installed on the truck, but that just seems a little too much lighter to me.

I'm not sure on the jacks. I haven't checked any out in person yet.....just some internet shopping so far. Trying to see what is available locally to narrow the search down.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:16 AM   #10

Quote:
I'll look into the Husky hitches. That company has been around for awhile and I've used their products before. Always good quality.
Did you get the 16K?

Yeah I'm not sure about the payload....2020 on the yellow sticker but the brochure states 3190. I know that actual payload will be lighter than the brochure due to options installed on the truck, but that just seems a little too much lighter to me.

I'm not sure on the jacks. I haven't checked any out in person yet.....just some internet shopping so far. Trying to see what is available locally to narrow the search down.

Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it.

Old 07-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #11

We purchased a 297RSK in March.
We had been looking to trade in our 2011 Keystone Hornet Travel Trailer. Our TT had a bunk room and was a 31 foot box which put it about 36 feet front to back.
Our children are in their early 20's and aren't really interested in coming with us.
We wanted something with a shorter overall length (we like to go to NASCAR Races and most spots are 20 X 40 ish) and a more comfortable living area. We had been using the bunk room as a closet and felt it was wasted space.
The Hornet was our first RV and taught us a whole lot. Some of the items we looked for in the new trailer were.
A shower with a door.
Self leveling (I had hear a lot about 4 point vs. 6 point I found that for almost all manufactures unit length determined how many points and hydraulic vs. electric I hear hydraulic was faster but 3 minutes vs. 6 minutes didn't matter much to me. I also like no hydraulic pump.)
We preferred a free standing table opposed to a booth.
I also wanted to be able to open the slides independently (The Hornet had 2 slides and one button.) We keep the RV in our driveway and the unit is too close to the house to open the large left side slide to full open we have to stop 8 to 10 inches short.
The 297RSK was one of the few units we looked at that had a good size outside kitchen without a bunk room.
The 297RSK has ample storage at least for us.
I was also looking for larger tanks as well.
I also like that our dealer offered a limited life time warranty on quite a few of the major components.

There were one or two floor plans we liked a little better but the outside kitchen was worth the compromise to us.

A few things we weren't thrilled with are
The awing is just over half as long as the one on our Hornet.
Other unit had dedicated pantry cabinets the 297RSK doesn't.
All documentation says that the gray water capacity is 70 gallons but doesn't mention it's really two separate 35 gallon tanks.
I also don't like where the control panel for the self leveler's is mounted. I have to kneel to use it and to read the display. I am contemplating moving it since there is plenty of excess cable.

We did have a couple issues with the unit but our dealer was / is great and took care of all our issues so far.
We had problem with the levelers at first the would show an out of stroke fault. (turned out to be a bad cylinder)
Before going out for the first time I tested the tanks and found that the tank level indicators where showing the wrong tanks.

Our first outing was the the Dover Delaware NASCAR weekend. Sunday was cold and windy and we had lots of guess from home (Dover is just under two hours from home.) we had 9 people and the dog in the RV eating dinner after the race. Although space was tight everyone had enough room.

Although we are still New owners so far we are very happy with our 297RSK and happy with our decision to purchase.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-17 14.14.58.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	115859  
mrdegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:42 PM   #12

Thanks mrdegold for your review of the Crusader 297RSK. It was very helpful.

Since my past dealer no longer sells PT , we are still just internet looking right now. It could be 2-3 months....maybe longer....before we buy.

I live in rural eastern Oklahoma and have found 3 PT dealers that are 2 - 2 1/2 hours away. One of those I dealt with years ago and will not deal with again. The other two have 2017 297RSK's on their lot and one of them also has a 2017 315RST which we also like. Both dealers also have good sales and service reputations.

The living & kitchen areas are identical between the two. The main differences are the bathroom/bedroom layouts and the outdoor kitchen. I also like the idea of the outside kitchen for many reasons.

The 297RSK has pretty much the same bathroom/bedroom layout as our LaCrosse 303RKS which we have always liked.
The 315RST has the bed slide with the big storage at the cap end which also has the washer & dryer hook ups. The bathroom has the seat in the shower which isn't necessary, but I like due to my bad knees and back. It also has a little more counter space around the bathroom sink. I'm not sure all that is worth the $5K difference in asking price though.

There is one other floorplan we like....334CKT, but I haven't located one close by to look at. I like to at least walk through one and look it over before I buy it.

FYI - My grey water tanks are the same as yours, two 35 gal tanks. They are connected and if one fills before the other, it will drain into the other.

Tags
crusader