Old 01-02-2018, 10:28 AM   #1

Crusader 315RST a year and a half in

We've had our Crusader 315RST now for about 1.5 years. We've had a few minor issues, made a couple of mods, and are still happy with our purchase.

The issues were:
- Fresh Water Tank vent hose wasn't connected to vent, so connected it;
- A faulty furnace control board - fixed by the dealer;
- A couple of broken accordion shade hold-downs - real easy fix;
- The shower pan cracked - Primetime had the dealer contract with a home bathroom repair service to fix it (looks and works great ever since);
- I was getting some wear tracks on the floor near the ends of the slides, so I put these under the slide ends (when sliding in) to keep the slide ends off the floor (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e=UTF8&psc=1);
- Theater Seating chairs kept moving, so screwed them down with 3/4" screws (only 1/2" goes into the floor - measured against other existing screws in the slide floor);
- DVD player didn't work well, so replaced it with a Sony Blu-Ray smart player;
- TV wouldn't work with QAM cable encoding, so replaced with a Samsung smart TV;
- Original mattress was terrible. Replaced it.

Mods:
- Added a handrail to the inside stairs;
- Changed out the storage locks to ones without a dealer key (RVLocks);
- Changed the entry door lock with a keyless lock (RVLocks);
- Changed the garage storage lock (front of camper behind hitch pin) to a combination lock;
- Added a large, thermostat-operated fan to our refrigerator vent;
- Added lots of pictures and hang-up items with 3m Command Strips (be sure to clean area with alcohol beforehand);
- Reinforced the bumper and added a hitch receiver to carry bikes.
- Added a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

We plan to change out the tires within the next couple of months. The tires already have about 12,000 miles on them. They are the original Trailer King tires, so don't want to run them too much longer.

We camp in this at least once a month. We still love our Crusader. We plan to keep it for quite a few more years. It is our third Primetime RV and appreciate to decent workmanship. Not perfect, but still very few problems.

Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
We've had our Crusader 315RST now for about 1.5 years. We've had a few minor issues, made a couple of mods, and are still happy with our purchase.

The issues were:
- Fresh Water Tank vent hose wasn't connected to vent, so connected it;
- A faulty furnace control board - fixed by the dealer;
- A couple of broken accordion shade hold-downs - real easy fix;
- The shower pan cracked - Primetime had the dealer contract with a home bathroom repair service to fix it (looks and works great ever since);
- I was getting some wear tracks on the floor near the ends of the slides, so I put these under the slide ends (when sliding in) to keep the slide ends off the floor (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e=UTF8&psc=1);
- Theater Seating chairs kept moving, so screwed them down with 3/4" screws (only 1/2" goes into the floor - measured against other existing screws in the slide floor);
- DVD player didn't work well, so replaced it with a Sony Blu-Ray smart player;
- TV wouldn't work with QAM cable encoding, so replaced with a Samsung smart TV;
- Original mattress was terrible. Replaced it.

Mods:
- Added a handrail to the inside stairs;
- Changed out the storage locks to ones without a dealer key (RVLocks);
- Changed the entry door lock with a keyless lock (RVLocks);
- Changed the garage storage lock (front of camper behind hitch pin) to a combination lock;
- Added a large, thermostat-operated fan to our refrigerator vent;
- Added lots of pictures and hang-up items with 3m Command Strips (be sure to clean area with alcohol beforehand);
- Reinforced the bumper and added a hitch receiver to carry bikes.
- Added a TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System)

We plan to change out the tires within the next couple of months. The tires already have about 12,000 miles on them. They are the original Trailer King tires, so don't want to run them too much longer.

We camp in this at least once a month. We still love our Crusader. We plan to keep it for quite a few more years. It is our third Primetime RV and appreciate to decent workmanship. Not perfect, but still very few problems.
I just saw that the link didn't work. It is at https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037MEMDO

Old 01-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #3

Good to hear you're having good luck with your Crusader. We've had our 315rst for about 11 months now and had a few minor problems. Everything has been taken care of under warranty. We plan to keep ours for a while too so I'm glad this thing had had minimal problems!
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Dish Wally w/ Pathway X2
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #4

Ben31 I think you are on borrowed time with your tires. I had about 7,500 miles on mine and had a blowout. I had a TPMS that warned me something was wrong and luckily there was no damage. I replaced all 4 tires that day and there was another tire ready to blow. I replaced with Carlisle tires.
djeirlessr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #5

I still have my Tow max tires as well. They will be changed out this year. I'm looking at the Sailun tires.
Dish Wally w/ Pathway X2
Old 01-03-2018, 02:07 PM   #6

Primetime

We had a Primetime 351 something. Had it just over a year and traded it off. Out of 8 RVs Iíve owned it was the biggest piece of crap ever. Numerous issues continued post warrenty including the shower door exploding. No help from Prime Time. Traded it for a Cedar Creek and never looked back. Hope you have better luck.
Dwilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

Some things to look forward to in the next year and a half. Front cap fade, theater seats and sofa will begin to flake off - bonded leather, the kitchen faucet and the shower faucet will need to be replaced..
Lazy Boy has some nice zero recliners you can replace the seating with. Repainting will fix the fade and PT may send you the decals free of charge - got mine yesterday. Put a nice metal faucet in the kitchen with a sprayer and used the extra hole for a soap dispenser that was part of the faucet kit. We enjoy ours also but it has had it issues - a few more than the other 4 we have owned but tolerable. Take away the seating and cap fade and I would be ecstatic - those were expensive and unexpected.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #8

Happy with Crusader

So happy to hear you are having good luck with your Crusader. Prime Time tried to fix my 2014 Sanibel and was super when it came to the repairs. No mater what they did my troubles did not stop. Sorry to say we traded it in on a 2016 Laredo Keystone. Yes I miss the Sanibel as far as what it had on it but I don't miss the problems that continued after repairs that were made at the Factory. I do miss the FROGs "Forest River Owners Group" I hope you continue to enjoy your Crusader and Happy RVing 2018
popinfresh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:11 AM   #9

Also have had my 315 for about a year and a half. Most issues have been trim related. I got rid of my "Blow maxes" 3 days into ownership. I had another set of tires when I bought it. Interested in your hand rail. What did you use and where did you get it? Have come close to taking a tumble down the stairs more than once. Also what issues were you having with your furnace that caused you to have the circuit board changed?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:34 AM   #10

Had mine since Nov 2010 with minimal issues...nothing unreasonable or not self inflicted. Take care of it and it will take care of you. I also replaced the garbage ST tires 4 or 5 years ago after a blow out. I went with LT's.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Also have had my 315 for about a year and a half. Most issues have been trim related. I got rid of my "Blow maxes" 3 days into ownership. I had another set of tires when I bought it. Interested in your hand rail. What did you use and where did you get it? Have come close to taking a tumble down the stairs more than once. Also what issues were you having with your furnace that caused you to have the circuit board changed?
Before I started, I asked Primetime about adding it and they originally said it was ok. I installed it and then received an email saying not to install anything there...too late. I built the handrail from items, which I bought from Lowe's (drawer pull and balusters). I added the railing balusters, to take some of the weight off of the wall. If you do it, build the handrail (screw the pieces together so it is one unit), before mounting to the wall. I used a really good stud finder (which also points out where wires, pipes, etc. are located) to find the metal studs along the wall. I glued and screwed the unit to the wall, ensuring the balusters were solidly against the stairs. It has worked very well.

For the furnace problem, the fan would start, the flame would ignite, but the unit didn't know the flame was lit, so it kept shutting down. They replaced the safety sensor in the flame, but it still had the same problem. Therefore, they replaced the controller board. It has worked fine since.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	handrail.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	159578  
Old 01-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #12

One more mod I made. I added small pieces of auto accent strips to the middle of my slide outs. This automatically turns the seals the way they are supposed to be. I no longer need to go out and check the seals every time we set up. It was easy and cheap to do. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKLOAQ
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2018, 11:24 AM   #13

Quote:
One more mod I made. I added small pieces of auto accent strips to the middle of my slide outs. This automatically turns the seals the way they are supposed to be. I no longer need to go out and check the seals every time we set up. It was easy and cheap to do. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKLOAQ
Yeah that's what I need to do bc I have to go out and physically flip out the seals everytime.
Dish Wally w/ Pathway X2
Old 01-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Before I started, I asked Primetime about adding it and they originally said it was ok. I installed it and then received an email saying not to install anything there...too late. I built the handrail from items, which I bought from Lowe's (drawer pull and balusters). I added the railing balusters, to take some of the weight off of the wall. If you do it, build the handrail (screw the pieces together so it is one unit), before mounting to the wall. I used a really good stud finder (which also points out where wires, pipes, etc. are located) to find the metal studs along the wall. I glued and screwed the unit to the wall, ensuring the balusters were solidly against the stairs. It has worked very well.

For the furnace problem, the fan would start, the flame would ignite, but the unit didn't know the flame was lit, so it kept shutting down. They replaced the safety sensor in the flame, but it still had the same problem. Therefore, they replaced the controller board. It has worked fine since.
Nice setup on the railing. Will have to copy that one. I have the same problem with my furnace right now. Was going to start chasing propane delivery system thinking that was the issue. Will also use your idea on the slides. Seems like most of the issues are similar.

Former Montana owner
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 AM   #15

2016 Crusader 295RST

We also enjoy our Crusader. Just minor issues that I fixed myself except for the nose cone fade which Prime Time paid for in full. With Prime Time support even had the nose cone painted and decals replaced through a local dealer instead of the dealer I purchased the unit from. Very happy with Prime Time. So far have logged about 12,000 miles and the Towmaster tires still look great. I watch them closely and ensure the pressure always stays at 80 lbs.
2016 Crusader 295RST (5th wheel)

Camped 80 days in 2016, 42 in 2017, 42 so far in 2018
Ontario Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:47 PM   #16

Quote:

I may have to do that I thought it was just my seals and I was getting ready to have them all replaced at my expense since mine is a 2013, I may have to do something like this.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #17

Two Year Update

At the two year point.

I finally had to change my China Bombs to Carlisle tires. They began to bulge (separate) at the center of the tread. I noticed, when I tried to put the X-chocks in and they wouldn't fit. At first I thought the axle may have shifted, since the other side seemed to be farther apart than normal. However, I had that checked and they said the tires were separating. I got all four replaced. The Carlisle tires don't get as hot and tend to keep their pressure longer.

Replaced the fresh water pump. It self destructed (little bit of water out of the housing) and quit working. It wouldn't even turn on. I found a good WFCO replacement and it seems to be working fine. I didn't want to buy the same one that was in there as it had already allowed water to pass through into the fresh water tank (fixed that with an external check valve). I have an extended warranty, which would have covered the pump. However, I would have had to leave the RV and then get it back in about a week. The deductible was $50, and I didn't pay much more than that for the pump. It took all of an hour to replace it.

Other than regularly giving her a bath and checking everything, It is still holding up fine!
Old 09-10-2018, 05:13 PM   #18

Quote:
At the two year point.

I finally had to change my China Bombs to Carlisle tires. They began to bulge (separate) at the center of the tread. I noticed, when I tried to put the X-chocks in and they wouldn't fit. At first I thought the axle may have shifted, since the other side seemed to be farther apart than normal. However, I had that checked and they said the tires were separating. I got all four replaced. The Carlisle tires don't get as hot and tend to keep their pressure longer.

Replaced the fresh water pump. It self destructed (little bit of water out of the housing) and quit working. It wouldn't even turn on. I found a good WFCO replacement and it seems to be working fine. I didn't want to buy the same one that was in there as it had already allowed water to pass through into the fresh water tank (fixed that with an external check valve). I have an extended warranty, which would have covered the pump. However, I would have had to leave the RV and then get it back in about a week. The deductible was $50, and I didn't pay much more than that for the pump. It took all of an hour to replace it.

Other than regularly giving her a bath and checking everything, It is still holding up fine!
You're gonna love the Carlise tires! I switched to them a few months ago. They definitely hold air longer than the Tow max tires. Love my 315 RST to far. I'll hit my 2 year mark in March.
Dish Wally w/ Pathway X2
Old 09-11-2018, 08:13 AM   #19

Quote:
At the two year point.

How hard was it to get into the water pump? Did you have to go through the storage compartment? Please be sure to check on the right side, inside of your springs to see if they are hitting on your propane pipe. (See my post).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	springpropane1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	186117  

Former Montana owner
Old 09-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #20

It was easy to get to the pump. It is located in the basement storage area, directly behind the connection center (water, cable, etc.) panel. Remove two screws at the bottom of each panel, and two screws for the brackets holding them together (toward the top). While back there, also check the water lines, vent hoses, etc. I had to reconnect my fresh water overflow hose in a previous incursion.

It is also easy to remove the panel at the back (toward the living area) of the entire storage area. There are a few screws holding the panel on. Then you move the pins in on the AC outlet to remove it from board. Lastly, take the board out of the area. You can get to just about everything back there (furnace, water lines, plumbing, etc.). Next time I am back there, I'll take some photos of it.

Tags
crusader