Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 09:18 AM   #1

Crusader 315RST - Anybody got one?

Considering a 2017 Crusader 315RST and was able to look at one yesterday. DW and I both liked the trailer. We negotiated a little and the dealer made an "OK" offer.....not exactly what I hoped for though. They did throw in a Curt fifth wheel hitch at their cost with free installation along with free installed roof vent covers.
I did notice the auto leveling is the electric 4 point. I was told that's what they install on all Crusaders....hydraulic 6 point on the Sanibel's. I'm thinking the 4 point is better than no auto leveling.
Anybody else out there own a 315RST and if so, how is it working out for you?.....pros and cons?
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Considering a 2017 Crusader 315RST and was able to look at one yesterday. DW and I both liked the trailer. We negotiated a little and the dealer made an "OK" offer.....not exactly what I hoped for though. They did throw in a Curt fifth wheel hitch at their cost with free installation along with free installed roof vent covers.

I did notice the auto leveling is the 4 point. I was told that's what they install on all Crusaders....6 point on the Sanibel's. I'm thinking the point is better than no auto leveling.

Anybody else out there own a 315RST and if so, how is it working out for you?.....pros and cons?

We bought one a month or so ago. We love the layout and I have had no trouble except for E1 errors on the thermostat. We are still working on that but getting a handle on it. The leveling system works fine. Very livable unit.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:44 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Jlreeves ....

After seeing the unit first hand, DW and I like the 315rst's floorplan as well.
We also looked at a 297rsk because of the outdoor kitchen, but decided we like the 315rst's bathroom/bedroom layout better than having an outdoor kitchen.
The 315rst has more room around the bed which will make it easier to make the bed, more storage, bathroom has a better sink and cabinet and the shower is bigger than the 297rsk.
The kitchen and living area are almost identical in both units.

Crusader 315RST

Crusader 297RSK

Old 08-07-2016, 06:18 PM   #4

We have a 2015 Crusader 315RST. We like the floor plan especially the bathroom/bedroom layout. Towing the coach with a Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas with 410 rear end with no problems. If we were to do it over I would upgrade the tires before taking delivery. We did have an issue with them. Our front cap needed to be replaced due to fading as well as some slide issues. With that being said Prime Time has stood behind their warranty on all occasions. I believe all units will have some issues but all of our issue's have been addressed to our satisfaction and beyond.
MrNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
We have a 2015 Crusader 315RST. We like the floor plan especially the bathroom/bedroom layout. Towing the coach with a Chevy Silverado 2500HD gas with 410 rear end with no problems. If we were to do it over I would upgrade the tires before taking delivery. We did have an issue with them. Our front cap needed to be replaced due to fading as well as some slide issues. With that being said Prime Time has stood behind their warranty on all occasions. I believe all units will have some issues but all of our issue's have been addressed to our satisfaction and beyond.
What tires came on your trailer and what did you replace them with?
Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 PM   #6

Came with Towmax replaced with Goodyear.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
Came with Towmax replaced with Goodyear.
Thank you.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:04 PM   #8

I bought one a year ago and have several problems windows that don't open, slide that pops when opening cracks on slide side front cap fade would I buy again maybe. Look at the Grand Design 318 about same floor plan and I believe better quality
colo native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

Glad to hear the mostly good words about them. I pick ours up this Friday.

For colo_native, what year is yours? Did those things happen during the initial one year warranty? If so, what did Prime Time say about the problems? How long after the warranty period did they appear?
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben31 View Post
Glad to hear the mostly good words about them. I pick ours up this Friday.

For colo_native, what year is yours? Did those things happen during the initial one year warranty? If so, what did Prime Time say about the problems? How long after the warranty period did they appear?
While I do feel for colo_native and the problems he's having, I believe his experience is outside the norm for PT. We have owned our LaCrosse for 6 years this Nov and what few minor problems we've had was dealt with promptly by my dealer and PT.

The dealer is an important part of choosing a camper. Their support and quality of service is key. colo_native didn't mention if he contacted PT himself or if the dealer did and then told him what PT said......and he mentioned the dealer wasn't treating him right, so.......

Here's a video from a Colorado RV dealer that he made about PT. It's long and he is showing the features of PT's toy hauler, but the first couple of minutes tells PT's history.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

We bought ours a little over a year ago and we love it. We have had almost no problems and we live in ours. We love the bathroom, there is enough room to get dressed in and the shower was a must. The bedroom has enough room to move around in although I am not a real fan of the way the closet is designed but it works. I have had to invent a new way to make clothes fit in the drawers but it works too. I do wish the 2 slides were switched around and the dining room was on the door side, but maybe on the next one. I sf don't like the windows but we don't open them very often anyway. This thing has held up well and we plan to keep it for a long time.
gkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #12

We bought a new one in 2014. I have had no problems with it outer than normal new RV expected problems which were all handled by the dealer under warranty. I did replace the Towmax tires with Goodyear Unisteel. I would not accept the Towmax tires on any RV. We only have the one AC unit and I would recommend that you get two - especially if you plan to camp out in the full sun during the summer. I would definitely purchase the unit again. My previous fiver was a 1999 Montana 295 - lots of problems with that one - flooded the interior 3 times and the campground twice - but the dealer and I finally got it resolved. I also fulltimed in mine while working out of state and went through some very cold winters with no problems - just run the furnace during cold weather, put heat tape on the hose from from the faucet tot he RV with some extra at both ends to keep things warm and everything works fine. Retired now and have been to a number of places with it and it pulls great and lives great. Just buy from a good dealer regardless of any RV you purchase.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #13

Well I guess I've looked and researched enough........or I better have.
We are suppose to do the PDI and bring her home Friday......
Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 AM   #14

We supposedly do our PDI this Friday, also. This will be our third PT. Two Avengers and now a Crusader. We have loved our previous Prime Time trailers. No serious problems, and the minor issues were fixed after our initial voyage.

I'm surprised they are installing Towmax tires on them, since our two Avengers had better tires installed out of the factory. I'll have to see if that is what is on this one, when I do the walk through later today (just arrived from the factory).
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #15

Wow !!! 3 PT's. You got me beat. This will be our second, the one in my signature and now the Crusader 315rst.

We've had the same experience with our LaCrosse as you've had with your Avengers.....only minor problems that have been taken care of promptly.

We went back and forth trying to choose between the 315rst and the 297rsk, but we finally decided we liked the bedroom/bathroom layout in the 315rst better than we liked the outdoor kitchen in the 297rsk.

I'll have to check out what tires are on this one as well. Didn't really notice when my DW and I did the walk through Saturday.

We decided to purchase from a dealer about an hour and 45 mins away. Pretty much the closest to us, but mainly because I know they have a good service department. I checked with several places and their price wasn't the highest, but I did find a couple that were cheaper...BUT...I would have had to travel a lot further for those and wasn't too sure about their service.

However, I did get them to throw in free installed Max Air vent covers and an installed 16K Curt hitch at their cost.

I don't know a lot about fifth wheel hitches, but I was impressed with the demo they had in their store and the youtube videos I've watched. It has a 360 degree articulating head and also clamps fully around the trailer's kingpin. It's not a slider, although they do make one that is, but from what I've read about these new front caps one isn't necessary.

We'll have to compare pics after we get 'em.

Anyway, congrats on your new 5'er ... ... ... & ...
Old 08-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
Wow !!! 3 PT's. You got me beat. This will be our second, the one in my signature and now the Crusader 315rst.

We've had the same experience with our LaCrosse as you've had with your Avengers.....only minor problems that have been taken care of promptly.

We went back and forth trying to choose between the 315rst and the 297rsk, but we finally decided we liked the bedroom/bathroom layout in the 315rst better than we liked the outdoor kitchen in the 297rsk.

I'll have to check out what tires are on this one as well. Didn't really notice when my DW and I did the walk through Saturday.

We decided to purchase from a dealer about an hour and 45 mins away. Pretty much the closest to us, but mainly because I know they have a good service department. I checked with several places and their price wasn't the highest, but I did find a couple that were cheaper...BUT...I would have had to travel a lot further for those and wasn't too sure about their service.

However, I did get them to throw in free installed Max Air vent covers and an installed 16K Curt hitch at their cost.

I don't know a lot about fifth wheel hitches, but I was impressed with the demo they had in their store and the youtube videos I've watched. It has a 360 degree articulating head and also clamps fully around the trailer's kingpin. It's not a slider, although they do make one that is, but from what I've read about these new front caps one isn't necessary.

We'll have to compare pics after we get 'em.

Anyway, congrats on your new 5'er ... ... ... & ...

I have a Curt Q20 slider and pull A 315RST. I doubt you will ever miss the slide given the pin arrangement on the 315RST. I can pretty much get to a right angle with my short bed crew cab 2500HD. We are loving our 315RST. The way I look at it, the little problems that I solve are what makes my rig mine. I always have a mod or a fix in the works.
Good SAM # 807510227
FROG # GA-0056-236
FMCA # F471293
Jlreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlreeves View Post
I have a Curt Q20 slider and pull A 315RST. I doubt you will ever miss the slide given the pin arrangement on the 315RST. I can pretty much get to a right angle with my short bed crew cab 2500HD. We are loving our 315RST. The way I look at it, the little problems that I solve are what makes my rig mine. I always have a mod or a fix in the works.
So that Curt hitch is working out for you okay? That's good to know.

That's the right attitude to have when purchasing a new trailer. It's easy to get frustrated when you pay so much money for a brand new product that needs repairs. Been there, done that myself. It's just the way it is with new campers.

Hopefully no major issues arise and the small ones I'll either take care of myself or make a list and let my dealer handle it under warranty.

That's why it's important to have a dealer with a good service department and good support from the manufacturer. I'm confident I have both.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #18

We love our 315, have had it for 2 years now. Only a few minor issues at the beginning. This is our 2nd PT product, we started withe the LaCrosse.

I also have the Curt Q20. I had the slider with the short bed and then got a long bed Ford and got the legs that fit the factory holes in the bed, I love it.

The Chinese Blow Max junk tires come off this weekend, to be replaced with Firestone Transforce HT's
Old 09-23-2016, 01:50 PM   #19

I have a 2015 Crusader 31RST. Love the unit overall but the nose cap is already faded and I had to add an AC to the bedroom. I think my warranty has expired. I purchased in May 2015. Pulls great and brakes great. Wish I would have bargained for Goodyear tires. Been having issues with the TowMaXX.
wshelton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 03:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshelton1 View Post
I have a 2015 Crusader 31RST. Love the unit overall but the nose cap is already faded and I had to add an AC to the bedroom. I think my warranty has expired. I purchased in May 2015. Pulls great and brakes great. Wish I would have bargained for Goodyear tires. Been having issues with the TowMaXX.
Contact PT about your nose cap. Even though you are out of warranty they may help.
Here's their contact link;
Prime Time Contact Us

Tags
crusader