Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #1

Crusader 322RES

My husband and I are considering the purchase of our first fifth wheel this week. We currently have a Rockwood Roo 233SS. We have narrowed the search down to the Crusader 322RES and the Grand Design Reflection 337. If you have a Crusader 322RES what do you or don't you like about it? And in general, how is Prime Time's customer service?

Thanks for any input!

Old 09-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

Crusader 322RES

We have the earlier version of that floorplan in a 325RES Crusader - purchased new 9/13 and have had zero issues since day one

We have not needed any customer service from Prime Time nor the dealer....guess we are one of those in the minority of RV owners having no problems 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸

Old 09-12-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Prime Time customer service is very, very good. You will find most "PT Crew Members" on this forum that have had to contact Prime Time have received excellent care & prompt response. That's if you need to contact them, as most owners have not had to. 👍
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #4

We don't have the 322RES, but we purchased our Crusader 315RST last month.
We camped over Labor Day weekend. Six nights in all, and only had a couple of small issues. Black tank rinse connection leaked and a small leak with one of the grey tank valves.
Other than that we love the camper and everything works as it should. The 4 point leveling system is one of my favorite features.
We owned a 2011 PT LaCrosse tt (purchased Nov 2010) before this one and have always had great communication with PT.
You can "try out" Pt's customer service by contacting them via their web site..... Prime Time Contact Us .... Ask them any questions you may have about the 322RES and they'll get back to you quickly, usually within a day.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

You really should compare the reputations of the two companies for initial build quality.

PT does fix units but the hassle factor of doing so is a pain. You receive your new trailer in the spring excited to use it and then find out its going to spend 2 months of your first year camping season at the dealership waiting for parts for repairs.

I had lights replaced, wall paper coming off after 6 months, adjusting cabinets to get them to hang right, etc.

Sadly, that's common with a lot of RV manufacturers. So, the most important question to me is which RV manufacturer delivers a quality unit on day 1.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohai View Post
You really should compare the reputations of the two companies for initial build quality.

PT does fix units but the hassle factor of doing so is a pain. You receive your new trailer in the spring excited to use it and then find out its going to spend 2 months of your first year camping season at the dealership waiting for parts for repairs.

I had lights replaced, wall paper coming off after 6 months, adjusting cabinets to get them to hang right, etc.

Sadly, that's common with a lot of RV manufacturers. So, the most important question to me is which RV manufacturer delivers a quality unit on day 1.
As you mentioned.....issues with new trailers are common among RV manufacturers. Unfortunately with any brand some units have more issues than others. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is what it is.
After picking out the floorplan and brand of trailer you like the most important thing when purchasing a new camper is your relationship with your dealer, your dealer's service department and their relationship with the manufacturer.
Since the issues you mentioned mostly seem cosmetic...my dealer would have me bring the trailer in, they would check everything out, order the parts and I would take the trailer back home and continue to camp until the parts came in.
I live 1 1/2 hours away from my dealer. So maybe that is a bit of a hassle, but at least I still get to enjoy camping instead of my trailer setting unused on the dealers lot waiting for parts.
In the nearly 6 years I owned my LaCrosse, I only left it at the dealership a couple of times and for no more than a couple of weeks either time.
Whenever I have contacted Prime Time directly, whether it concerned an issue with the trailer or just a questiion I may have, they have always answered back with an email or phone call within 2 days.
I have owned other brands from other dealers in the past and it was never as easy to deal with issues as it has been with Prime Time.
The right attitude and realistic expectations will make owning any brand of RV a lot more enjoyable.

Gary & Trish

2016 Nights Camped - 9
Old 09-15-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
As you mentioned.....issues with new trailers are common among RV manufacturers. Unfortunately with any brand some units have more issues than others. Maybe it shouldn't be that way, but it is what it is.
After picking out the floorplan and brand of trailer you like the most important thing when purchasing a new camper is your relationship with your dealer, your dealer's service department and their relationship with the manufacturer.
Since the issues you mentioned mostly seem cosmetic...my dealer would have me bring the trailer in, they would check everything out, order the parts and I would take the trailer back home and continue to camp until the parts came in.
I live 1 1/2 hours away from my dealer. So maybe that is a bit of a hassle, but at least I still get to enjoy camping instead of my trailer setting unused on the dealers lot waiting for parts.
In the nearly 6 years I owned my LaCrosse, I only left it at the dealership a couple of times and for no more than a couple of weeks either time.
Whenever I have contacted Prime Time directly, whether it concerned an issue with the trailer or just a questiion I may have, they have always answered back with an email or phone call within 2 days.
I have owned other brands from other dealers in the past and it was never as easy to deal with issues as it has been with Prime Time.
The right attitude and realistic expectations will make owning any brand of RV a lot more enjoyable.
Sadly the RV manufacturers are relying on people "just dealing with it" in regards to initial build quality. Many customers that have had RVs for a long time are used to it, they are over that learning cover of maintaining everything themselves, and it no longer seems like a big deal.

For new people to the RV world, it is a steep learning curve and a disappointing process and experience.

The original poster is comparing a crusader to a grand design. I've never owned a GD but from reading a lot of the forums, the GD is a step up from a Crusader.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

I can agree with you on that. I've always dealt with issues on new trailers, so I guess I've grown use to it. I don't see that changing in the near future so as I see it, it's either learn to deal with it or sell the trailer and forget about camping. I'd rather camp.
I have to admit I was ready to hang it all up after one new trailer (not a PT) I purchased. Only owned it around 18 months and decided to trade it in and take a loss rather than deal with the continuing issues I had.
I believe the GD is more of a full time unit, so comparing a Crusader to it is like comparing apples to oranges. However, a higher dollar unit doesn't necessarily mean better quality build. Sometimes it just means more bells and whistles.

Gary & Trish

2016 Nights Camped - 9
Old 09-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #9

The Grand Design & Prime Time Sanibel would be a more realistic apples to apples comparison.
Unfortunately, the majority of salesman won't show (or really don't know) the difference between a mid profile unit intended for part-timing and a full profile full time style unit. They'd rather just show what they have on the lot & hope you'll "bite" on one not really knowing the difference.
And, they can't tell you which has a better "reputation" because they don't have a need to deal with them. You're better off checking in with the service dept. or forums like this. 👍

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader