Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarvnewbie View Post

Thanks! I actually had looked at those pics online, but hadn't looked to see where they were. A little over four hours from us, so not too bad on a weekend after school gets out.

Really like how helpful everyone is on here! Wish I would have thought of posting on here three weeks ago when we started looking.
Call ahead before you go but I seen 3 when I was there today.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Hey Iowarvnewbie. Welcome to the Forum. I live just a short drive from you in Carroll. I am looking at new fifth wheels as well. IMHO I would go with the Sabre.

mackman1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #23
William

I would doubt the neigh sayers here about the gas engine. Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're planning on going cross country, then the gas engine will probably not be ideal. Weekend trips and an occasional long trip that isn't in the Rocky Mountains, then I would say you'll be alright with the gas. I'm towing 11,300 Crusader with a gas, be it a Ford 6.2; your 6.0 should be alright. Torque and Fuel mileage is not going to be what a diesel is, but you'll make most of the mileage up at the pump.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post
I would doubt the neigh sayers here about the gas engine. Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're planning on going cross country, then the gas engine will probably not be ideal. Weekend trips and an occasional long trip that isn't in the Rocky Mountains, then I would say you'll be alright with the gas. I'm towing 11,300 Crusader with a gas, be it a Ford 6.2; your 6.0 should be alright. Torque and Fuel mileage is not going to be what a diesel is, but you'll make most of the mileage up at the pump.
I agree with about 96% of what you said with the exception of making it up at the pump.
I had a 6.0 and got 9 mpg towing.
Got 14 mpg today with my d-max pullin the same camper.

Diesel isn't 5 mpg difference in price
Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #25

I totally recommend the sabre! We picked our 34tbok up march 7th in Ohio and have since spent 15 nights camping in it! Great camper, lots of space, well built, great cabinetry I've seen in any camper, and it pulls great behind my F250 CC 4x4 V10 gas burner. I get 8 on flats and between 6-7 in the sandhills up north. Made several very steep grades this last weekend & could keep it in 4th at 45 mph or drop to third and accelerate to wherever. Gas goes quick if your in a hurry, but no doubt your truck will handle it. I may do one trip a year to the mountains, and the money I saved on my truck vs diesel more than makes up for the extra gas I burn. Just my two cents (probably more like 1 1/2 tbo)
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I agree with about 96% of what you said with the exception of making it up at the pump.
I had a 6.0 and got 9 mpg towing.
Got 14 mpg today with my d-max pullin the same camper.

Diesel isn't 5 mpg difference in price
You're correct, but I also said most of the difference at the pump. 14 MPG with a diesel pulling these big trailers is on the high end of the MPG range. That great MPG. Many of my diesel pulling pals down here are getting more in the range of 12 MPG. I just wanted to put in context so the OP doesn't shy away from the trailer because he has a gas engine.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #27
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEMig View Post

You're correct, but I also said most of the difference at the pump. 14 MPG with a diesel pulling these big trailers is on the high end of the MPG range. That great MPG. Many of my diesel pulling pals down here are getting more in the range of 12 MPG. I just wanted to put in context so the OP doesn't shy away from the trailer because he has a gas engine.
Your fine ! Ribbin ya a bit lol !
Old 05-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarvnewbie View Post
I see that you have the 335BHS EXGMTech. We are unable to find either model that we are looking at in person anywhere close to us. You don't have to answer these questions but if you would it would be helpful. Our dealer has one coming off the line at the plant on the 4th of June. We won't be able to see it for a few days after. We were sold on this model over everything until we saw the sabre online. Found out today that our dealer that we like and prefer does not sell the Sabre. So on the Crusader is there room in the master bedroom to change your clothes etc. if you want to? Is the floor flush or step up in there? Is there a tv mount or do you have to put it in yourself in there? Can you hook up the tv outside? Is there anything you don't like about that model? What are the best features? Thank you for your previous post!
Yes we change in the bdrm, there is a step up that is even with the end of the bed. No tv mount unless you order a tv..I put one in saved big $..there's a label on the wall showing where the backer is, elect./cable outlets above it in the ceiling,for the outside... elect./cable outlet just inside the basement door on the entry side of the coach. Nothing I don't like about it yet, pulls like a dream... Love having 2 outside cooking surfaces (grille & stove). Also the extra eating setup with bar stools & 2 tier counter inside. We really like the residential type lounge couch in the "kid's room" with the pop out leg rests. The upper bunks are wider than most too.One of the biggest selling points is the HUGE walk in pantry. The central vac & heat throwing fireplace work well too. I was surprised at the light pin weight rating for the size of it. Go to the Primetime site and look it up...some great pics.
So that sums up how I feel...totally satisfied.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #29
Camper Less Camping

iowarvnewbie...
Besides making sure your truck can handle the weight, go ahead and tow with the 6.0 for awhile & if it struggles or if you don't like the performance/mileage...then you can shop for a new TV & reuse your hitch & universal rails.

IMO...pulling along flats you'll be ok, anything else and you may convince yourself in needing/wanting much more torque.

I had at one time the GM 6.0 (6 speed-387 ft/lbs torque)towing 9500lb TT...no way I'd like to tow my 5'ver now knowing how it performed with 9500lbs and shorter in height!

Good luck with purchase & get camping!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
Yes we change in the bdrm, there is a step up that is even with the end of the bed. No tv mount unless you order a tv..I put one in saved big $..there's a label on the wall showing where the backer is, elect./cable outlets above it in the ceiling,for the outside... elect./cable outlet just inside the basement door on the entry side of the coach. Nothing I don't like about it yet, pulls like a dream... Love having 2 outside cooking surfaces (grille & stove). Also the extra eating setup with bar stools & 2 tier counter inside. We really like the residential type lounge couch in the "kid's room" with the pop out leg rests. The upper bunks are wider than most too.One of the biggest selling points is the HUGE walk in pantry. The central vac & heat throwing fireplace work well too. I was surprised at the light pin weight rating for the size of it. Go to the Primetime site and look it up...some great pics.
So that sums up how I feel...totally satisfied.
Ya EXGMTech, I'll second what YOU said.

2010 Ford F250 SD XLT FX4 with 6.8L Triton V10
2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
SD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #31

Thanks for all the info!!

It is nice to be able to find out from people who are owners what they think about them when they have had them for a little while!!
iowarvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:48 PM   #32
Toy-aholic

I do have to add some things I consider pluses.....not having to set up & tear down the dinette for between travels & no need for slide locks...both needed on my traded TT. Hot water hotter than the old unit....and REALLY like the outside spray hose (coiled) that I use for sewer hose rinse...also connect it to black tank flush (will be installing quick connects to these).
The swivel TV mount that the TT did not have, makes for better viewing from the couch. More to come as we keep using it!