Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
Toy-aholic

As long as we're sending RVGUY suggestions.....how about making the tv backer in the master bdrm go all the way to the ceiling...I just installed a 23" tv and when drilling pilot holes for the mount screws found the top hole at about 4" from the ceiling did not go through any backer...had to install a hollow wall anchor.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dad View Post
Hey SD -- Congrats!!! Looks awesome! Any differences from the 2013 to 2014 models?

dgiturbo - I too have a 335BHS and a 2011 F350 short bed diesel. I installed a Pullrite Superglide, one less thing to think about! Installation was pretty simple and I'm glad I spent the extra money for the hitch. Also installed an RDS 51 gallon aux. diesel tank/toolbox combo - the short bed diesel trucks have STUPIDLY small fuel tanks on them (26g or so). This is my second Prime Time with an outside kitchen - they are great! Perfect to have the beer, err beverage, fridge outside -- don't need a cooler or having to keep go inside for a refill. The extra storage and having a gas grill and stove is really nice.

And a word of caution - stopped at the storage lot this morning, found the pull handle for the rear gray tank (the one under the main slide) laying on the ground! It just threads onto the rod from the valve - needs some loc-tite or something so it doesn't fall off going down the road. RV Guy - might want to add that to your assembly procedure.

Cheers!
Thanks HD, very much appreciated. Honestly, the only things I've noticed that are any different are a different color/material main queen headboard and black dinette table legs instead of silver. Other than that, I'm pretty sure it's the same unit.

Thanks for the info on the grey handle. I'll definitely check mine. Becoming a regular around the storage lot are ya?

2010 Ford F250 SD XLT FX4 with 6.8L Triton V10
2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
SD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
As long as we're sending RVGUY suggestions.....how about making the tv backer in the master bdrm go all the way to the ceiling...I just installed a 23" tv and when drilling pilot holes for the mount screws found the top hole at about 4" from the ceiling did not go through any backer...had to install a hollow wall anchor.
EXGMTech, thanks for the heads up...I have a flat screen still in the box ready to be installed in the master bedroom. It's on my list to do, so I'll have to make sure I don't drill too high.

2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Becoming a regular around the storage lot are ya?
Yes, yes I am... had to get the camp chairs for the wife to use at the kids soccer games - during which it was snowing on Saturday! Didn't think I'd have to head to the hockey rink to get warm ... One of these days we'll have decent weather and I can pull the 335BHS home and fill her up and prep for camping.

By the way SD, you said you were sitting out in it the other day when it was 24 degrees out - did you have the furnace running and if so, how well did it work in those temps? Curious as I love fall camping, and wondering how well this rig will do in below freezing temps...
hockey dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #25

HD, actually I just turned on the fireplace to "auto" and set the thermostat to about 65. I closed the bunk room door and in about 30 minutes or so, it wasn't too bad in there. That fireplace is a nice feature since you can take the chill out and not have to use any LP. Now I'm not sure if it would have been warm enough for the boss, but it felt fine to me.

Speaking of, does anyone know if they make an "RV bearskin rug"?

LOL

2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #26

Congrats! Love the "champagne" edition color. Had that color on the kodiak we used to own. Lots of luck!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:13 PM   #27

Well, took our 335 on its maiden voyage this past weekend. What a great time and what a unit. Can't wait till the next one.

2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
Old 05-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #28

Hey SD - any details on the maiden voyage?!?! Concerns or issues? We spent a couple of hours loading ours up with all the 'stuff' this weekend - and, I managed to break the glass 'shade' on the light fixture over the dinette table w/ one quick elbow shot. Plan on getting some Maxxair vent covers for the master bedroom, bathroom, and bunkroom and a Maxxair Turbovent (the one with the power fan) to put in the kitchen/main living area. Oh, and I got the final approval from the Boss to put racks for my fishing poles in the pantry!!! As I keep telling her, best wife I ever had!

By the way, I'd like to add some netting of some sort in front of the shelves in the pantry area - any ideas? They are about 36 inches wide, could use a net about 8-10 inches tall. Just want to keep stuff from falling out while bouncing down our awesome Michigan roads....

Cheers!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 PM   #29

Well HD, let's see. Ok, right off the bat (kinda embarrassed to say this) but here goes. When we backed onto our concrete site, it was immediately obvious that the left side was a little lower than the right, and when I inspected it, I observed that the pad had cracked and had made the site a little uneven. It didn't look too bad so I unhooked the truck, followed the directions on the automatic leveling system, and hit the button. The left side jacks started extending...and extended...and extended...I thought hmmm. I knelt down and watched the left side tires. To my horror, I started seeing daylight under the tires and immediately ran to the leveling system and did the manual overide and manually brought the wheels back down to earth and muttered some stuff to myself I probably shouldn't say on here. Long story short, after some maneuvering around and blocking up the left side, the automatic leveling system did finally work like a charm and after a short delay, we were back in business. Moral of the story: when the dealer tells you that your days of running one side wheels up on 2x4's are over? Smile, say "ok" and then do it the right way when you get to your potentially uneven site.

Other than that, the hot water heater didn't seem to heat the water as hot as I'd like it (it was bearable but could have been a bit hotter it seemed). I researched that model for an adjustable thermostat, but honestly, I think it's factory set. Calling the dealership about that one.

So, with the exception of some possible "operator error" and a needed thermostat adjustment, our weekend was awesome and the whole family enjoyed the heck out of the camper.

By the way, sorry to hear about the shade. I'm vertically challenged so I don't have to worry about that much. haha.

As far as the netting in the pantry? I'd rather get those extendable bars that press against the outside walls. I think that netting would be cumbersome and get in the way. Just my 2 cents.

2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
Old 05-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #30

Ok. I am planning to by my first crusader. I am buying the buying the 335. I have a 2009 f150 supercrew 4x4 with the 5.4 motor and the max trailer tow package. It is rated for 11300 pounds. How do you feel I will do pulling this trailer. I currently pull a mountaineer rated at 11120 travel trailer loaded up pretty easily. Really looking forward to buying and owning this fithwheel.
joes90pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #31
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD10 View Post
Well HD, let's see. Ok, right off the bat (kinda embarrassed to say this) but here goes. When we backed onto our concrete site, it was immediately obvious that the left side was a little lower than the right, and when I inspected it, I observed that the pad had cracked and had made the site a little uneven. It didn't look too bad so I unhooked the truck, followed the directions on the automatic leveling system, and hit the button. The left side jacks started extending...and extended...and extended...I thought hmmm. I knelt down and watched the left side tires. To my horror, I started seeing daylight under the tires and immediately ran to the leveling system and did the manual overide and manually brought the wheels back down to earth and muttered some stuff to myself I probably shouldn't say on here. Long story short, after some maneuvering around and blocking up the left side, the automatic leveling system did finally work like a charm and after a short delay, we were back in business. Moral of the story: when the dealer tells you that your days of running one side wheels up on 2x4's are over? Smile, say "ok" and then do it the right way when you get to your potentially uneven site.

Other than that, the hot water heater didn't seem to heat the water as hot as I'd like it (it was bearable but could have been a bit hotter it seemed). I researched that model for an adjustable thermostat, but honestly, I think it's factory set. Calling the dealership about that one.

So, with the exception of some possible "operator error" and a needed thermostat adjustment, our weekend was awesome and the whole family enjoyed the heck out of the camper.

By the way, sorry to hear about the shade. I'm vertically challenged so I don't have to worry about that much. haha.

As far as the netting in the pantry? I'd rather get those extendable bars that press against the outside walls. I think that netting would be cumbersome and get in the way. Just my 2 cents.
hmm strange...our hot water is very hot, actually hotter than the tt we traded
Old 05-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #32
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes90pony View Post
Ok. I am planning to by my first crusader. I am buying the buying the 335. I have a 2009 f150 supercrew 4x4 with the 5.4 motor and the max trailer tow package. It is rated for 11300 pounds. How do you feel I will do pulling this trailer. I currently pull a mountaineer rated at 11120 travel trailer loaded up pretty easily. Really looking forward to buying and owning this fithwheel.
not enough truck in my opinion. loaded pin weight is going to squash that like a bug.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #33

The pin weight is only 1600 pounds for the 335. Do you really think that would sink it that much?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 AM   #34
Toy-aholic

1600 unloaded...no propane, nothing in basement

f150 is a 1/2 ton
Old 05-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #35

If it does, what do you think about a set of airbags for it?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:07 AM   #36
Toy-aholic

still have 1/2 ton axles, brakes etc etc...not to mention the motor
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #37

Gotta agree with EXGMTech, way too much camper for a 1/2 ton. You'll be at least 11,000 pounds loaded to travel, which will put the pin weight at probably a minimum of 2,000 lbs. Check the sticker in your door for your max cargo capacity. I used to have a 2010 F150 FX4 supercrew, probably similar to yours - payload per sticker was 1200 pounds. Subtract from that the weight of your passengers, your hitch, and anything else in the truck - that's what you have left for pin weight. It's not what it can pull, but what it can carry. IMO, not nearly enough truck.....

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #38
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by joes90pony View Post
The pin weight is only 1600 pounds for the 335. Do you really think that would sink it that much?
As mentioned - that 1,600 pounds is the advertised dry weight which is frightfully and wholly unrealistic.

I went through a weighing exercise recently for my camper (different camper, but same concept). It has an advertised pin weight of 1,800 pounds. My actual pin weight was about 2,300 pounds.

The camper had an advertised dry weight of 11,800 pounds and an actual weighed weight (with our stuff) of 13,800 pounds (plus more because my propane was empty and it was our first trip of the season).

My other HUGE surprise was how much my family, carseats, our stuff and truck add-ons (hitch, roll top cover, minor mods to the truck) weighed - it was a good 1,200 pounds.With a 1/2 truck, we'd be close to capacity before hitching up!

You can see my numbers at:
Learn To RV: Getting Weighed - Quick Recap
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM   #39

Whoa. Personally I wouldn't touch a unit the size of the 335 with an F150.

2014 Crusader 335BHS-TE
Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #40
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD10 View Post
Whoa. Personally I wouldn't touch a unit the size of the 335 with an F150.
X2!!!