Old 11-10-2017, 01:19 PM   #1

Crusader 5th Wheel Wrong Wheels/Tires

We purchased a 2015 Crusader 5th wheel this summer and really enjoyed the upgrade from our previous campers. After reading all the horror stories about the stock tires and experiencing the issue first hand, I decided to start looking at upgrading the rubber for added peace of mind going down the road.

The factory stock tires on the trailer are ST225/75R15 LRD good for 2540 lbs each, seemed marginal for a 10000 lb trailer. I decided to look at the VIN spec on the side of the trailer which called for ST235/80R16 LRE good for 3520 lbs. The first thing I thought of was how the heck did 15” load range “D” tires wind up on my trailer when factory spec called for 16” load range “E”.

I reached out to the original owner to see if he could shed any light on the issue. He confirmed the tires on the trailer are the same that were on the rig when he pulled it off the dealer lot, even sent me a picture of the trailer hooked up to his truck when he left the RV lot the day he made the purchase. He was just as upset about this as me because he did not notice it either.

Next I made a phone call to the RV dealer to inquire how this might have happened. They stated they do not swap tires on trailers, only fix flats if something like that occurs in transit from the manufacturer. They gave me the number to Forest River/Prime Time so I made a call.

Spoke to a guy at Forest River that wanted to make sure the VIN number on the trailer matched the VIN number on the frame in case the factory mixed something up. I took pictures of both (they match) and also the tire with size information on it. Called back and could not get hold of the same guy but explained the situation to a retail sales person and e-mailed the pictures with an explanation of everything that led up to this discovery. I received the boiler plate response “Prime Time must respectfully decline any assistance with this concern”. I responded by stating this was a safety concern and I was just hoping to get the correct wheels so I could buy new rubber and not have to buy the wheels too. They reviewed their paperwork and confirmed the trailer was shipped with 16” wheels and tires from the factory along with the same response so I asked that a manager review the issue.

I received a response from the retail manager indicating the pictures were recent and they can’t confirm what was on the trailer at the time of delivery with the same “Prime Time must respectfully decline any assistance with this concern”. I also sent the picture of the RV as it was hooked up to be pulled off the dealer’s lot along with a full explanation of the situation again. I have not heard anything back for a few days and I am a bit frustrated, I think they just blew me off. The wheels and tires magically changed from 16” LRE to 15” LRD between the manufacturer and the RV dealer before delivery I have a feeling I know what happened but have no way to prove anything.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a potential safety issue and the right approach is to try to resolve it with Forest River/Prime Time? Am I speaking to the wrong people or department? Has anybody else run into a similar situation? I have had and still have issues like nose cap fade, bathroom vanity falling off going down the road, etc but nothing rises to the level of this. I would think the manufacturer would like to get to the bottom of the wheel/tire swap and resolve it.

I feel like I may have dodged a bullet up to this point since the tires are not too old and do not have many miles on them. I am happy this was discovered before I blew an overloaded tire out going down the road at highway speed. It seems a good idea might be a line item on the RV delivery checklist that reads “wheels and tires match manufactures VIN spec” with buyers initial on it to keep this from happening.

Any thoughts feedback or ideas would be appreciated. I am still hoping Forest River comes through with help on this, might be wishful thinking. Will update if they do.

Norsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

If you're certain they were OEM, maybe contact NHTSA?

Old 11-10-2017, 02:15 PM   #3

not disagreeing with you, but you are forgetting Pin weight

While the 2540*4=10160 ans is very close when you subtract the Pin weight of 1500-2000lbs, your situation looks alot better
Old 11-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #4

ependydad, they are OEM tires and wheels but I would rather figure out a way to resolve it without taking it to that level.

Mountndream, I was shooting for a little more load capability with new tires to handle imbalance and maybe not have to run full pressure for a better ride. The load selection on 16" tires is much better than 15". I am really hoping to have the wheels that were supposed to be on the trailer so I can get good rubber and peace of mind while traveling.

Thanks for chiming in.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Unfortunately, I am inclined to feel that since you didn't buy the trailer new, PT isn't going to help. I think you would have better luck with the dealer that sold you the trailer...unless you bought it directly from the previous owner. In that case, you may be on your own.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #6

Yes, it's definitely a concern, but with it being 3 years old and you not even the original owner, you will have a hard time getting anything done for you.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
clr

I know that Prime Time secures there tires and wheel from Tredit Tire and Wheel in Elkhart in.
I replaced by load rand E and 16 inch wheel with 5 load range H Sailum tires and new 17.5 inch load range H wheels from them about a year and a half ago for about $1,561 not a bad deal and I love the difference.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:34 PM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

I wonder if the dealer or (more likely) the old owner had put new tires on this camper and then went out and got a new camper.. And switched the "better" tires on the new rig.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I wonder if the dealer or (more likely) the old owner had put new tires on this camper and then went out and got a new camper.. And switched the "better" tires on the new rig.
he said the old owner told and and has photos for proof that those are the very same ones that came on it when new. It's been wrong all along.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by davel1971 View Post
Yes, it's definitely a concern, but with it being 3 years old and you not even the original owner, you will have a hard time getting anything done for you.
X2, while unfortunate, you are on your own. You need to go buy new wheels and tires.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:33 AM   #11
Who Dares, Wins

If you read the rv brochure somewhere in there, usually small, it says they can change thins as they wish without liability.

We recently purchased a camper. The one we looked at had 20lbs LP tanks (no issues) and 15" d tires. We had the same exact model ordered as this one. It came with e rated tires and 30lbs cylinders and a completely different pin box then their paperwork advertised. They do this all the he time. What does the yellow tire sticker say?

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 11-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
If you read the rv brochure somewhere in there, usually small, it says they can change thins as they wish without liability.

We recently purchased a camper. The one we looked at had 20lbs LP tanks (no issues) and 15" d tires. We had the same exact model ordered as this one. It came with e rated tires and 30lbs cylinders and a completely different pin box then their paperwork advertised. They do this all the he time. What does the yellow tire sticker say?
he also said the current tires don't match what the yellow sticker says. Your asking questions that were all answered in the original post.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
Who Dares, Wins

And if the factory said it was sent with 16 (I am not sure if they could even know this for sure but who knows) then it goes right back to my response of the dealer or the original owner switched them. If the original owner has actual proof then that leaves the dealer..

Either way almost three years later and the second owner. I would think it falls into the buyer beware when buying used.

2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 AM   #14

Unfortunately, there is zero chance of the dealer or manufacturer stepping up and fixing this on a 3 year old unit. It's up to the OP to make this right. Being it's 3 years old, it's probably about time for tires anyhow, it's just the extra expense of the wheels at this point.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
And if the factory said it was sent with 16 (I am not sure if they could even know this for sure but who knows) then it goes right back to my response of the dealer or the original owner switched them. If the original owner has actual proof then that leaves the dealer..

Either way almost three years later and the second owner. I would think it falls into the buyer beware when buying used.

I agree, although it stinks for you to have to buy them yourself. But when I’m buying used from a private party, i always figure Its a buyer beware situation. I definitely don’t blame the factory in this situation, hard to fix a claim like this 3 yrs down the road and with a second hand owner.
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 09:20 AM   #16

Thanks everyone for providing ideas and feedback. That is what I was hoping for. Gives me some perspective on things, good or bad.

I started thinking that if maybe the paperwork from the manufacturer indicated the trailer left with 16" wheels/tires, maybe they also keep a record of tire and wheel serial numbers? Maybe a stretch but at least that would indicate where the 15" tires came from. Probably a real stretch.

I did not think resolving this would be such an issue. I fully intended to replace the rubber, having to replace the wheels and spare too is what I did not anticipate.

I am not a fan of airing out issues like this on a public forum but really wanted some feedback. PT seems to have a pretty good reputation for owner satisfaction and taking care it things that are not right so I thought this would be easier to resolve.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #17

One suggestion I would make is to just looks up 16" trailer rims on amazon and match the bolt pattern. One time on the way to orlando from ohio we blew a tire and damaged the rim on our previous travel trailer. After limping to fort wilderness campground on the spare I started calling local dealers only to be told they would have to order it. So I got on amazon and found the same exact rim with a tire already mounted and had free two day shipping with prime. Had it delivered to fort wilderness and the resort even had somebody drop it off at my campsite. best of luck
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #18

Should be a 6x5.5 bolt pattern if they are 5200lb axles...like my Crusader. Maybe keep your eye on Craigslist. Could even use a fancy set of aftermarket truck wheels with that pattern.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #19

We also have a 2015 Crusader 351/350 5er the rif does come with 235/80r/16 tires. After several tire failures on our travels in 2016 I have determined the OEM load range "E" tires are stretched to their maximum with this trailer and have since replaced the tires with 235/80r/16 load range "G" tires. I feel confident that I have eliminated the premature tire failure issues. Oh I also paid a dew bucks to have the tires balanced. But bottom line on your 15" tires I am sure that someone switched them out on you
Living the dream with Carol my best friend/Wife for 50+ years2011 F-250 6.2ltr 2 WD ext cab / 2015 Crusader 350 touring edition
hicksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 03:30 PM   #20

Not sure what model Crusader you have. I purchased a 2014 Crusader 295RST a couple of months ago. Mine has 16 inch wheels installed but this was an option when purchased new. Standard wheels were 15 inch.

free83118 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, crusader, tire, tires, wheel