Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Which side is that? Curb side or Driver side?
Looks like the Drivers side. Mine is located on the Drivers side as well. I did find a coil of extra wire, maybe 10ft. or so. I'll move the controller to the passenger side until I find the weather proof shallow box as this location allows the basement door to flip all the way up hence allowing me to to locate the controller at a higher level for ease of operation.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
Looks like the Drivers side. Mine is located on the Drivers side as well. I did find a coil of extra wire, maybe 10ft. or so. I'll move the controller to the passenger side until I find the weather proof shallow box as this location allows the basement door to flip all the way up hence allowing me to to locate the controller at a higher level for ease of operation.
Was wondering as we installed a roll out shelf on the drivers side.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:49 PM   #23
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Was wondering as we installed a roll out shelf on the drivers side.
I would prefer the Drivers side just because of the location of the utility's... convince. Most all the things I need for setup and knock down all in one place .
Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Do you know what happen yet? They told me that they changed the boards, I don't know if they just added an update or what they didn't say and never asked, but he said you got the new board (Controller). Did yours come with a by-pass switch to just let both rams come down in the front landing gear? It replaced my electrical landing gear rocker switch? If I use that it brings down both front legs together, not 1 at a time like the control board will.

I haven't heard anything yet. It is in the shop for another repair (my fault, don't ask ) They haven't looked at the auto level yet. Any time I went to manual mode and tried to move the rear jacks it was giving me an error on the LR jack. Basically only the front jacks would work.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #25

We have a 2015 Crusader with the system and love it. We try to start with nose a little low. Other wise, it try's to pick wheels off the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
C. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Which side is that? Curb side or Driver side?
That is on the driver side, You know that the other side door isn't big enough to put a control in and also it is on the same side as all the manifolds are on and motor, very smart of LCI.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMSgt (Ret) Charlie Brown View Post
We have a 2015 Crusader with the system and love it. We try to start with nose a little low. Other wise, it try's to pick wheels off the ground.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Do you have the LCD screen which shows errors and off sets of all the rams? I know the old system only had idiot lights that showed and never told you what to do? I get an error message now and then and just hit enter that it tells you to recognize the error then it will erase, if it don't I just pull the plug in back after shutting down the power and re power up, so far that has worked. Still have not learned how to use the rear ram as a jack, that it say's you can do. Still tiring to refine my operation but the CD they gave me with it is great help. Your suppose to be able to just use one jack in the manual mode to change a tire. When I try and keep learning I have to keep it hooked up to my truck. They say you can stop any command but I couldn't do it yet, but I will figure it out. It's the best thing I have ever done was to put that system in. I mean it is perfectly level. I have had to put boards under my rear wheels only at home but my drive way sloops back so it will try and pick the wheel up but now the 2x6 stops that and it's solid with the 15 degree off set of the rams.... Also do you have a rocker switch in front that will drop your landing legs together not one at a time like the control board will do? I only ask that because that replaced my electrical old system, works the same way. It doesn't take much to impress me hell OC'S poles impress me but this is a great system.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 PM   #28

Quote:
Did your control panel come with the digital screen with read outs or just lights? What tricks did you learn?
Mine has the LCD readout with lights by the buttons.
The most important trick is to extend the front landing gear before dropping the jacks to lift it off the hitch. This gives the system room to adjust for level front to back.

OK so all this got me thinking. I haven't liked where my panel is located because it's a bit hard to see and access as some here have opined.
I removed my curb side propane tank in the beginning in the interest of using the space for other things like storing an extra waste basket and washing bucket, etc., and it removed a lot of weight as well. We use propane mostly for cooking only and the occasional fridge cooling when underway. A 20# tank can last us 10 years or more, so there's no need to haul all that extra fuel.
I decided to mount the panel in this space which is much more convenient to access IMO. The control panel has plenty of extra lead length, so moving it was no problem, I just needed to make a wood spacer to drop it down to the right height. Yes it's on curb side, a bit inconvenient when tweaking the landing gear when hooking up, but I'll see how this works for now.

Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
Mine has the LCD readout with lights by the buttons.
The most important trick is to extend the front landing gear before dropping the jacks to lift it off the hitch. This gives the system room to adjust for level front to back.

OK so all this got me thinking. I haven't liked where my panel is located because it's a bit hard to see and access as some here have opined.
I removed my curb side propane tank in the beginning in the interest of using the space for other things like storing an extra waste basket and washing bucket, etc., and it removed a lot of weight as well. We use propane mostly for cooking only and the occasional fridge cooling when underway. A 20# tank can last us 10 years or more, so there's no need to haul all that extra fuel.
I decided to mount the panel in this space which is much more convenient to access IMO. The control panel has plenty of extra lead length, so moving it was no problem, I just needed to make a wood spacer to drop it down to the right height. Yes it's on curb side, a bit inconvenient when tweaking the landing gear when hooking up, but I'll see how this works for now.

I'm going to mount the control panel just inside the baggage door curb side as well, as the baggage door flips all the way up. I think it will be a bit inconvenient, but much easier to access Still looking for a weather proof shallow hatch type box to mount on the side of the trailer. I'm trying to get the panel out and up to almost eye level if possible.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
The main trick is not to deploy your landing gear all the way to the ground. Have them hit the ground then pick them up two or three holes.

This allows everything to be able to move up and down. If you start with fully retracted landing gears, pull the pin and let them hit the ground, it can not take the front or back lower, just higher. Picking the whole camper off the ground can happen this way.

I'm new this year to RVs with my 5th wheel. I've had a bit of a learning curve with the auto-leveling system. I find I have to get it pretty darn close to level in order for the system to work -- otherwise it tends to lift the wheels off the ground. Or, there isn't enough throw in the gears to solve the problem. A couple of times I've given up trying to use it and just manually leveled the trailer.

I'll try your tip of raising the landing gear up a couple of holes before using the system. I typically drop the gears to the ground and raise them back to the first hole.

I've had enough hassle that I've put some little RV level placards on the rv next to the auto-leveling control panel and bought the Andersen Camper Levelers so that I'm mostly level when I use the auto-leveling system.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #31

One thing I did not mention. Male sure your unit has been programmed with a good leveling starting point

If the auto leveler never once worked I would level it up manually and reset the zero point.

I forget the exact details but you have to hit a button five times. It is in the manual between that and not starting with the pads fully deployed it should work fine

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscconrad View Post
One thing I did not mention. Male sure your unit has been programmed with a good leveling starting point

If the auto leveler never once worked I would level it up manually and reset the zero point.

I forget the exact details but you have to hit a button five times. It is in the manual between that and not starting with the pads fully deployed it should work fine

After your unit is level and acceptable to you, to reset level. You shut the unit off and press the top button 10x's and then the bottom button 10x's. then turn it back on. Atleast that is what my directions say but mine is hydraulic w/rams but the same board.

Old 09-14-2014, 05:36 PM   #33

That sounds right to me

rscconrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:25 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXGMTech View Post
I won't buy another trailer without it! I love the ability to tweek it to control the location of a/c drain water!

We agree! Won't buy another 5th wheel without it!! By far our favorite option on the crusader! You don't realize how wonderful it is until you have it!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:43 AM   #35

Quote:
Do you know what happen yet? They told me that they changed the boards, I don't know if they just added an update or what they didn't say and never asked, but he said you got the new board (Controller). Did yours come with a by-pass switch to just let both rams come down in the front landing gear? It replaced my electrical landing gear rocker switch? If I use that it brings down both front legs together, not 1 at a time like the control board will.
Spoke with the shop yesterday, somehow the LR jack motor has water in it?? Service adviser's words were "The motor had water in it so the tech got it working and is going to recalibrate" I told the adviser that doesn't really sound like a fix, why is there water in there? So they are trying to get a new motor from Lippert.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #36

I am at a crossroads bc I found a good condition 2012 Crusader 290 without the auto level, or do I go for new and spend another 10K just to get it plus have the option of being the only one to own the new 290???

Old 09-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
I am at a crossroads bc I found a good condition 2012 Crusader 290 without the auto level, or do I go for new and spend another 10K just to get it plus have the option of being the only one to own the new 290???

If it is the electric system you are talking about 3200 with the auto level board, with out that function you are talking 2200.00 without the board. If you bought the 2012 it would cost that much more to add if you wanted it. If you go to the hydraulic system, it will cost you about 5000.00 installed with auto level, that's the only way it will come. You need to look up on google what is called Ground Control 3 or the level up hydraulic system, they are 2 different units all together. Subtract that off the new which either it will come with I don't know which. The rest of the 10,000 would be going for a 2015 unit compared to a 2012 unit. The hyd. system is 10x's faster and each leg will support 7000 lbs. If I understood you correctly. Good luck on your choice.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
Spoke with the shop yesterday, somehow the LR jack motor has water in it?? Service adviser's words were "The motor had water in it so the tech got it working and is going to recalibrate" I told the adviser that doesn't really sound like a fix, why is there water in there? So they are trying to get a new motor from Lippert.
My question is how could water get into it? Don't sound right to me. If it's under warranty, you want a new motor......

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #39

Quote:
My question is how could water get into it? Don't sound right to me. If it's under warranty, you want a new motor......
Exactly, I am guessing it wasn't sealed good? The adviser called back needing some info and said Lippert made the comment that I must have driven in high water. Come on now, that would have to have been water at least 2' high, and why wasn't it in the right side motor....stay tuned
Old 09-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #40

So...

I went to an RV show this weekend to 'help' my brother shop for a new bunkhouse 5er, and saw the Ground Control leveling system control board mounted differently than it was in my Crusader. I had already moved it (earlier post), but was not sold on the new location being on the curb side, and liked the idea of having it on the back of a storage door similar to what I saw at the show.

I decided to move it inside the left side propane storage compartment, on the back of the door. This may not be totally correct given the propane and electrical in the same area, but there are other electrical components in the same area (lights, and landing gear motor (!) very close). The control board is all semiconductors with no switching gear that would arc, plus the door will be open while in use anyway, so I thought this would not be an issue.
I made a splash proof box out of some scrap stuff I had laying around, painted it black and mounted it to the door with double faced tape. It easily clears the tank when closed and is now very easy to access and see.
I was fortunate to be able to move the instruction sticker to the door as well.

One of my favorite mods so far.

Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, leveling