Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #1

Crusader build quality???

Question is when did PT down grade the quality of the Crusader line? We recently bought a PT Crusader 355BHQ 2012 and plan to use mainly as our "cabin" on the NWFL bay lot. I'm thinking of selling the motorhome and rgoing back to a fifth wheel for our travels. This past week went to a dealer in NWFL and looked at a couple of Crusader models. Frankly I was very underwhelmed. Build quality and amenities were much lower quality than the 2012 we have. Kitchen counters were a poor attempt to mimic granite or marble, bedroom dresser tops a vinyl or paper wrap attempting to look like the kitchen. Lots of paper wrap over "wood products" in the kitchen, probably all cabinets. Little real wood in the framing of the cabinets. Plastic kitchen faucet. Very disappointing experience.

So the question is when did PT decide to dumb down a Crusader in favor of a quality build. If this is what a recent build is like, the PT line is off the list. Sanibel is heavier than I want to go and longer too. Want to keep my traveling 5th wheel at around 35+-.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

I believe build materials changed when the RV industry took off and more and more folks wanted to pull larger rigs with smaller lighter tow vehicles requiring the builders to use lighter materials like plastics to accomplish this. Example is the toilet it used to be common to get a porcelain toilet now many are plastic to save weight.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:33 AM   #3
Site Team

We went to the Chicago rv show a couple of weeks ago. Although Im not really interested in the Crusader or prime time at this time. I do have to check out the Lacrosse's as I own a 2014.
We dont like the new lacrosse's as much as we like our's. Seems cheaper of build quality and didn't care for the layouts of the one's at the show.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #4

It seems a common comment that models a few years ago were better built than current models. I imagine there isn't a common date that the bean counters got together and decided to dumb down the quality of RVs. But it's obvious to me at least that there is a difference in build quality in the PT Crusader line from 5-6 years ago. In materials alone a difference.

The comment about desire to get lighter weight trailers to attract the "half ton crowd" is evident. When we were looking for a bunk house RV we ran across a Wildwood Heritage Glen that was 42' long and weighed about a 1000 pounds less than the 39' Crusader. That's UVW. I can imagine the flimsy materials used in it. But I bet when new it shined and Forest River made it glitzy. I guess interior designers are cheaper than structural engineers to hire and maintain.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #5

Our 2016 Crusaders quality is about average & that’s fine for us as quality in the RV industry is not something that’s really emphasized. We like the solid surface counter tops, sealed edge membrane counter in bathroom & dinging table, all laminated walls & slides, large shower, true queen bed, preclean foot flush toilet, 16” tires, bunk room with door, outside kitchen, Dexter rubber suspension, 8900LBS & 1390 pin weight of our 296BHS 5th wheel.

Overall the only real issue has been the auto leveling 2.0 system that’s super basic (works 50% of the time), we have the dreaded slide edge tearing issue (common with Forest River) its been fixed with the plastic corners installed hope it lasts.
In 2 years of ownership we replaced the china bomb tires, pin pox not necessary but well worth the investment, replaced the kitchen faucet removed the plastic piece of junk, fixed the electrical panel that was falling off the wall, Darco on the roof routine stuff, just replaced the mattress with a Tuff & Needle queen fits great much better now.
Overall Prime Time’s newer offerings are on par with the industry. If you look at Keystone in the same class/price point you get hung fiberglass rear walls, slide walls are not bonded, no solid surface counter tops, very low end feel if you look at them for the same price. Plastic faucets are all too common as are wallpaper accents. We were at the Florida RV super show 1600 RV’s Prime Time is better than most but not the best.

Personally, if I were buying today, it would be a Jayco Eagle HT or a North Point like what Jayco is doing, 2-year full warranty, published real-world testing just to name a few. However, I’m not buying today so I will live with our 2016 Crusader fixing what I can on my own & keep trucking along & be upgrading as we go along (take a look at our new steps & box) soo much better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401RR.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	570.8 KB
ID:	165081   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0395RR.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	165082  
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:19 PM   #6

Not just RV's. There is not much real wood in homes either. It is amazing how thin they can cut veneer and there are a lot of kitchen cabinets, mouldings and picture frames that are wrapped.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Question is when did PT down grade the quality of the Crusader line? We recently bought a PT Crusader 355BHQ 2012 and plan to use mainly as our "cabin" on the NWFL bay lot. I'm thinking of selling the motorhome and rgoing back to a fifth wheel for our travels. This past week went to a dealer in NWFL and looked at a couple of Crusader models. Frankly I was very underwhelmed. Build quality and amenities were much lower quality than the 2012 we have. Kitchen counters were a poor attempt to mimic granite or marble, bedroom dresser tops a vinyl or paper wrap attempting to look like the kitchen. Lots of paper wrap over "wood products" in the kitchen, probably all cabinets. Little real wood in the framing of the cabinets. Plastic kitchen faucet. Very disappointing experience.

So the question is when did PT decide to dumb down a Crusader in favor of a quality build. If this is what a recent build is like, the PT line is off the list. Sanibel is heavier than I want to go and longer too. Want to keep my traveling 5th wheel at around 35+-.

I have wondered the same thing. Wife and I purchased a new Crusader 2012 320 RLT and reluctantly( mistakenly) traded it for a 2016 35RST model, because of the theater seats etc. Slightly smaller coach but no here near the build quality of our first Crusader. What a shame , as this new one was quite expensive and not built to last.
crusader424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post

Hey Chunker,

You didn't say but were you looking at the Crusader or Crusader Lite models? I could imagine in any of the Lite models you're going notice a difference regardless of brand.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

@emsoglo, did you install the new steps (and tool box I see) or have it done. If dyi how difficult?
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:45 PM   #10

We really like our Crusader, BUT, we will not buy another FR product. Front cap faded, slide wear, cheap couch is peeling, fireplace never worked on auto setting, tire problem, after that I noticed that the tires were out dated when we bought it, surprisingly FR bought us 4 tires, i am still convinced that we have a frame flex issue, the right side moves too much hooked up vs unhooked. FR just refused to do anything to help us out under warranty. “Its not a problem” they say, “You’re the only one having these issues” they say. Not sure why some people get such great warranty work out of them and then they pretty much piss off to others. Our next one will most likely be a Jayco or Grand Design, i got a good friend with a GD and the help from them is overwhelming.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Hey Chunker,

You didn't say but were you looking at the Crusader or Crusader Lite models? I could imagine in any of the Lite models you're going notice a difference regardless of brand.
I was looking at the Crusader "heavy" versions. I am avoiding anything with lite, light, half ton towable in the description. In my opinion that means under built in order to shave weight off.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM   #12

When did slide toppers quit being standard, or were they ever? I have them on the 4 slides and was looking at listings for some 2012-2013 Crusaders for sale and they did but later years didn't. Personally I think they are a great addition.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:37 AM   #13

I do not believe they were ever standard....always a dealer install option

The brochure for our 2014 does not list them as an option
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
@emsoglo, did you install the new steps (and tool box I see) or have it done. If dyi how difficult?
Did it all myself super easy to install.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
I do not believe they were ever standard....always a dealer install option

The brochure for our 2014 does not list them as an option
I suspected that was the case but wasn't sure.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:58 AM   #16
Life-Long Camper/Boater

We sure love our 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring pkg

We fell in love with our 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring model as a used resale in 2015. We didn't jump on the deal with a special $2K sale price for that day because we felt we hadn't looked at the competition yet. Nothing matched or even came close - so we came back to General RV in Draper UT and found out it was sold - then 2 days later fell through allowing us to buy it but without the $2K sale price discount - Even without the sale price it was heads and shoulders above the rest. Now, 3 years later we are so glad we got it.

We felt we compromised on a queen or full size sofa that only unfolded out to a single twin bed. Then the front cap is fading fast - but even with that the pluses are huge: Color scheme, opposing slides in the rear entertainment area, pantry space, entertainment system, TV elevator into hutch, incredible view windows, huge shower, huge full length closet, central vac, self-leveling, the recliner chairs are so perfect - DW and I go out to our Crusader and spend hours sitting in those chairs as a second living room and talk for hours. The kitchen layout exceeds all our wishes with more counter top space, pots and pan drawers and other storage then our kids have in their starter homes. Every visitor that comes in chin drops at the space and colors. My young married kids (we have 6 kids that are all adults and 3 are married) all have visions of moving in and staying until a 2nd baby comes along - we just say No! you cannot move in even for high rent no no no.

I have looked for hours and hours at RVs for sale on Craigslist, KSL Classifieds, and other sites and wouldn't trade you straight across for 5th wheels that sell for 3 times as much.

Maybe I'm not picky enough, maybe as an engineer I look at the price point and balance features for that price point like I do for products I help design and sell where you try to balance. This is and is still the best decision we could have made.

When I go to the new RV trade shows I look for the Crusader. I wouldn't trade my 2013 for a brand new Crusader - No way. It shouldn't be that way - but when we sit in the brand new trade show Crusader of nearly the same length - I look at all the other strangers doing walk-through's - I think in my mind if only you guys came to my home and did walk through in my 2013RES Touring and you would be blown away compared to this brand new Crusader.

I've carried on long enough - Prime Times needs to go back to the magic of 2013 Crusader and thrill the shoppers again.

Paul and Debbie H.
South Jordan, UT
2013 Crusader 325RES (Rear Entertainment System) Touring Edition
2005 Ford F-250 6.0 Super Duty Crew Cab
We also (double) tow our 15' Boston Whaler boat behind the Crusader.
Paul and Debbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM   #17

[QUOTE=Paul and Debbie;1759238]We fell in love with our 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring model as a used resale in 2015...........
I've carried on long enough - Prime Times needs to go back to the magic of 2013 Crusader and thrill the shoppers again.

Thank you. That's the comment I was expecting when posted. I was unfamiliar with PT and the Crusader line before we located and bought the one we have. My research indicated that earlier build quality was good, along with a very thorough inspection. I don't suppose there was a model year that FR in conjunction with PT began the lowering of the quality of the Crusader line, just a gradual downgrade. I believe my plan will be to decide on a model 33-35'+- in the 2012-14 year range with a rear living, queen bed in a slide. Make sure it has been taken care of and go that route. If the basic structure is solid, build quality and materials good, and appliances in good working order, we can do some updating and make a better than new RV.

For us the glitzy new stuff is a turn off in many ways. As I commented elsewhere, interior designers are obviously cheaper than design engineers. If you want to look at a prime example of that look at a new Thor Ace. It's a smaller class A gasser motorhome. Real pretty interior, real abysmal build quality. If a person spends more than a few minutes in one they begin to see the poor quality. Trim molding loose, not finished, not mitered. Flimsy counters and faucets. Crappy paper wrap on even worse particleboard cabinets. But it's cheaper and glitzy and they sell a bunch.

For us to move down from our motorhome will be difficult. We have become used to exceptional build quality and design. Light maple REAL wood throughout. NO paper wrap. Residential type, Moen, faucets. Solid Freightliner frame. etc. But we're not going to be using it to potential and I want to downsize my "investment" in RVs. Have a great day and RV season.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #18

Front Cap cracks and fading

We purchased a Crusader 322RES 5th wheel late August 2015. Last summer we noticed some fading on the top of the cap. My husband buffed it out, thought it looked ok. We went out to put some things in the unit while in storage March 2018and noticed the fading was horrible and there were stress cracks around one of the lights. Called our dealer , they called Primetime warranty and were told we were out of warranty. Primetime had extended the warranty for 30 months, but we were never notified. Anyone else with this issue?
Riversliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:48 PM   #19

Yup, 30 months from the build date, NOT purchase date. Ours did the same thing, just slightly started, clean it up and a week later, BAM! The whole top half, junk!
Old 03-25-2018, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversliver View Post
We purchased a Crusader 322RES 5th wheel late August 2015. Last summer we noticed some fading on the top of the cap. My husband buffed it out, thought it looked ok. We went out to put some things in the unit while in storage March 2018and noticed the fading was horrible and there were stress cracks around one of the lights. Called our dealer , they called Primetime warranty and were told we were out of warranty. Primetime had extended the warranty for 30 months, but we were never notified. Anyone else with this issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusadernoob View Post
Yup, 30 months from the build date, NOT purchase date. Ours did the same thing, just slightly started, clean it up and a week later, BAM! The whole top half, junk!
Agreement was between Forest River and the cap manufacturers. It was for the front cap ONLY and you would have had to start the documentation (with pictures) & paper trail with your dealer or directly with Prime Time within 30 months from the DATE OF MANUFACTURE (which is printed on the sticker on the curb side of your unit.

This was not just an issue with Forest River, it encompassed several other RV companies as well.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader, quality