Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #1

Crusader coax locations

GFs Crusader has positions for 4 TVs. We have the "main TV' in the living area and have tested the bedroom and bunk room connections with a TV on roof antennae. There is a basement connection I have not checked. So far the only source we have used is the roof antenna but I'm transferring my Dish account from my S&B down to the bayou where the trailer spends most of it's time. In the wet bay there are connections for "satellite" and "cable" and behind the TV in the LR there is a second coax connection but not labeled. Single coax connections at the other 3 positions. I suppose I could get a coax tester tool but that might not answer all the questions. Typically does the wet bay cable and satellite connections connect through a splitter to one or more of the connectors?

For the DISH I am mounting the DISH antenna on a post beside the trailer. The receiver will be someplace inside the trailer near the LR TV. There will only be one receiver. I also am going to install and outside TV antenna and see if I can "T" into the existing antenna on the roof.

The end result hopefully will be the Dish to the LR and the enhanced antenna to the rest of the locations. The Dish receiver will also do double duty in the motorhome when we travel in it.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
GFs Crusader has positions for 4 TVs. We have the "main TV' in the living area and have tested the bedroom and bunk room connections with a TV on roof antennae. There is a basement connection I have not checked. So far the only source we have used is the roof antenna but I'm transferring my Dish account from my S&B down to the bayou where the trailer spends most of it's time. In the wet bay there are connections for "satellite" and "cable" and behind the TV in the LR there is a second coax connection but not labeled. Single coax connections at the other 3 positions. I suppose I could get a coax tester tool but that might not answer all the questions. Typically does the wet bay cable and satellite connections connect through a splitter to one or more of the connectors?

For the DISH I am mounting the DISH antenna on a post beside the trailer. The receiver will be someplace inside the trailer near the LR TV. There will only be one receiver. I also am going to install and outside TV antenna and see if I can "T" into the existing antenna on the roof.

The end result hopefully will be the Dish to the LR and the enhanced antenna to the rest of the locations. The Dish receiver will also do double duty in the motorhome when we travel in it.

Dave, sounds like you have a good plan for the bayou. However, I'm not sure how your outside enhanced Tv antenna will react to being connected to the antenna booster since they're usually designed to work optimally on their own.

Your satellite coax is a "home run" from the wet bay to the LR Tv wall plate. No splitters are used in the satellite run. If you want to eventually install more receivers, you could use a high Ohm splitter with DC pass through. A second "designated run" from the wet bay to you 2nd desired location would be best though.

The basement connection is antenna/cable only just like the other 3.

The antenna/cable coax most likely does have splitters involved to feed all 4 locations from a single connection in the wet bay.

Good luck and keep us informed.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Dave, sounds like you have a good plan for the bayou. However, I'm not sure how your outside enhanced Tv antenna will react to being connected to the antenna booster since they're usually designed to work optimally on their own.

Your satellite coax is a "home run" from the wet bay to the LR Tv wall plate. No splitters are used in the satellite run. If you want to eventually install more receivers, you could use a high Ohm splitter with DC pass through. A second "designated run" from the wet bay to you 2nd desired location would be best though.

The basement connection is antenna/cable only just like the other 3.

The antenna/cable coax most likely does have splitters involved to feed all 4 locations from a single connection in the wet bay.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Morning Rick. In the wet bay there is the connection labeled "cable". Does it also T into the antenna line? I would suspect it is since on most TVs menu there is the setting for "air" or "cable" that is changed without making any cabling change. Personally I would like to replace the coax that runs from the trailer antenna to the inside but I fear it's stapled somewhere or wraps around something making that impossible. I'll remove the front basement wall to see what I can find in that area.

I got some RG6, connectors, coax testing tool yesterday, so in the next few days I'll head down and see what I can figure out.

Otherwise the bayou is working out great. Had only minor issues with hurricane Michael, one tree down and one corner of the dock lifted a few inches due to wave action. Roof survived intact. Issue with the "neighbors" complaints have been resolved by me slapping a code complaint on them. People in glass houses shouldn't throw rocks. So we operate like living on a DMZ, wave but no social interaction. Caught several blue crabs last trip so the Iron Bowl meal was filet and crab. We've been very happy with the Crusader, it dies a very good job in it's current role. Need a better mattress though. SOON.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #4

With DISH, and the Antenna and Receiver, you can customize several different methods to also provide DISH programming/viewing to other TVs in the RV, even if they don't have receivers of their own:

The VIP211k and similar receivers have a TV OUT coax connector, to send the same signal to another other TV, or sets of TVs if you use a splitter, of the same channel you are viewing on the receiver. This signal(s) will be in SD, though, regardless of whether the primary TV is receiving it in HD, since these signals are all in coax cables.

We did this in our motorhome, for our BUNK Tvs, so that the boys could watch what we were watching, if they so chose.
We later moved their signal input from the LivingRoom receiver, instead, so they could control their own channel views, with their own remote, which they liked even better.

Several Dish portable antennas, like the KingTailgaterPro, have DUAL coax outputs on the unit - giving you the ability to provide a signal to a secondary RECEIVER, if you wish, since they rent for only about $7 monthly from Dish.
While the secondary receiver can only view channels that originate from the Main receiver's primary Satellite(the satellite it was originally tuned to when the secondary receiver acquired it's own signal), it gives the option for a second TV to view HD Channels, not just in SD, since it can connect to the receiver via the HDMI cable, and it's REMOTE will control it's own channel choices.
This gives the ability to have a secondary Receiver, and TV, with it's own channel choices, but on a single Portable Dish Antenna.

A third, but less obvious or financial choice, is to actually have a SECOND Dish Portable antenna for another receiver and tv, which provides ALL channels on your account, and all HD available channels.
Sounds a little strange, maybe, to have two different antennas, but since the upfront $299 cost for a Dish Playmaker single output antenna is fairly inexpensive, as compared to a full-blown roof-top mount Traveler 3 LNB automatic unit at $1,500.00, it's an option for some who want all channels on multiple TVs, with automatic acquisition, and easy portability and/or storage, for a much more minimal cost.

You can do a lot with satellite TV, especially with the low costs of portable antennas, relatively inexpensive receivers, and the ability to take it anywhere. With that flexibility, I'll doubt that we'll ever go back to any traditional 'cable' tv options, even if they are available.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
With DISH, and the Antenna and Receiver, you can customize several different methods to also provide DISH programming/viewing to other TVs in the RV, even if they don't have receivers of their own:

The VIP211k and similar receivers have a TV OUT coax connector, to send the same signal to another other TV, or sets of TVs if you use a splitter, of the same channel you are viewing on the receiver. This signal(s) will be in SD, though, regardless of whether the primary TV is receiving it in HD, since these signals are all in coax cables.

We did this in our motorhome, for our BUNK Tvs, so that the boys could watch what we were watching, if they so chose.
We later moved their signal input from the LivingRoom receiver, instead, so they could control their own channel views, with their own remote, which they liked even better.

Several Dish portable antennas, like the KingTailgaterPro, have DUAL coax outputs on the unit - giving you the ability to provide a signal to a secondary RECEIVER, if you wish, since they rent for only about $7 monthly from Dish.
While the secondary receiver can only view channels that originate from the Main receiver's primary Satellite(the satellite it was originally tuned to when the secondary receiver acquired it's own signal), it gives the option for a second TV to view HD Channels, not just in SD, since it can connect to the receiver via the HDMI cable, and it's REMOTE will control it's own channel choices.
This gives the ability to have a secondary Receiver, and TV, with it's own channel choices, but on a single Portable Dish Antenna.

A third, but less obvious or financial choice, is to actually have a SECOND Dish Portable antenna for another receiver and tv, which provides ALL channels on your account, and all HD available channels.
Sounds a little strange, maybe, to have two different antennas, but since the upfront $299 cost for a Dish Playmaker single output antenna is fairly inexpensive, as compared to a full-blown roof-top mount Traveler 3 LNB automatic unit at $1,500.00, it's an option for some who want all channels on multiple TVs, with automatic acquisition, and easy portability and/or storage, for a much more minimal cost.

You can do a lot with satellite TV, especially with the low costs of portable antennas, relatively inexpensive receivers, and the ability to take it anywhere. With that flexibility, I'll doubt that we'll ever go back to any traditional 'cable' tv options, even if they are available.
Thanks for the options on connections. I did have the Dish in the S&B on a 222 and a 211 as a second receiver, for that $7, that did double duty in the motorhome connected to a Winegard road trip. There are just the 2 of us normally and TV isn't the center of our lives except maybe some college football games. The 222 will be the primary one that is kept in the Crusader and will also do the double duty and go in the motorhome when we take trips in it. Depending on what I find in the current wiring, I may in the future run separate lines for the satellite signal to the other TV locations. All depends on what I find when I start tracing and mapping the wiring. I actually considered getting a portable antenna like the tailgater and carry it in the motorhome for those occasions that the Roadtrip is blocked by trees but deferred to my previous statement about not being essential to us. The fixed antenna gives a stronger signal than a portable. Size does matter.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #6

you also bring to mind another interesting 'idea':

if you have a TV OUTPUT on your main receiver, you could also conceivably run the coax to the outside Main 'cable' input, giving all your other TVs connected to the system as easy way to view the same channel as the main tv : ) (in SD, of course)

no additional receiver needed -
and any splitters should have no effect on this...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
you also bring to mind another interesting 'idea':

if you have a TV OUTPUT on your main receiver, you could also conceivably run the coax to the outside Main 'cable' input, giving all your other TVs connected to the system as easy way to view the same channel as the main tv : ) (in SD, of course)

no additional receiver needed -
and any splitters should have no effect on this...
I'm not currently with the receiver and don't remember what is on the back. I had planned to use the cable connection in the wet bay to run the outside antenna inside. Maybe with a quality splitter it wouldn't degrade the signal too much. Perhaps using an A-B switch might be an option.

Old 11-28-2018, 07:51 PM   #8

For those interested in this thread, I made it to the RV and did some coax wiring investigating. PT used color coordinated coax for the various positions. All the TV locations are a grey coax that feed to a 4-1 splitter that then goes to the Winegard wall plate. That wall plate also has a 12V cigarette lighter type receptacle and the booster switch. The lead from the roof antennae to the Winegard plate is white. The lead from the wet bay labeled "cable" is black and also goes to the Winegard plate. The lead labeled satellite" is orange and is a dedicated line, home run, to a separate wall plate below the Winegard. That's the only location for the satellite run from the factory. Doing some testing, the satellite cable showed shorted. Disconnected from the wall plates and tested again and still shorted. Bad cable I guess. Replacing this one is easy since the TV location is a front wall of the LR and behind that wall drops to the area aft of the basement. Area covered up by the basement aft walls. Made a new cable and positive test of the run.

The Winegard plate has connections for the white, grey, black, 12 for the outlet and booster. The orange coax had what appeared to be marked RGE. Could have been a 6 instead of an E but looked like an E. Didn't have time to look at the others. Also loos like the "cable" connection just Ts into the Winegard wall plate. We'll see how it likes having a second "hopefully enhanced antenna" connected with it.

Got my 6x6 post installed and concreted in. Friday the Dish guy shows up to install. They called and could have come today while I was there but I didn't have my receiver with me so a no-go.

So the end result will be I can watch the SEC championship down at the bayou but might go home anyway since rain is forecast all weekend.

Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
For those interested in this thread, I made it to the RV and did some coax wiring investigating. PT used color coordinated coax for the various positions. All the TV locations are a grey coax that feed to a 4-1 splitter that then goes to the Winegard wall plate. That wall plate also has a 12V cigarette lighter type receptacle and the booster switch. The lead from the roof antennae to the Winegard plate is white. The lead from the wet bay labeled "cable" is black and also goes to the Winegard plate. The lead labeled satellite" is orange and is a dedicated line, home run, to a separate wall plate below the Winegard. That's the only location for the satellite run from the factory. Doing some testing, the satellite cable showed shorted. Disconnected from the wall plates and tested again and still shorted. Bad cable I guess. Replacing this one is easy since the TV location is a front wall of the LR and behind that wall drops to the area aft of the basement. Area covered up by the basement aft walls. Made a new cable and positive test of the run.

The Winegard plate has connections for the white, grey, black, 12 for the outlet and booster. The orange coax had what appeared to be marked RGE. Could have been a 6 instead of an E but looked like an E. Didn't have time to look at the others. Also loos like the "cable" connection just Ts into the Winegard wall plate. We'll see how it likes having a second "hopefully enhanced antenna" connected with it.

Got my 6x6 post installed and concreted in. Friday the Dish guy shows up to install. They called and could have come today while I was there but I didn't have my receiver with me so a no-go.

So the end result will be I can watch the SEC championship down at the bayou but might go home anyway since rain is forecast all weekend.

I forgot to mention the coax colors that Prime Time uses. That might have been some help to you.

And all the cables regardless of color are RG6. Hopefully the new one you made up is the same.
Attached Images

rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, crusader, location