Old 04-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #1

Crusader Entertainment Audio Modification

Hello all. I just wanted to share a minor wiring modification that I made to my entertainment center that has improved the audio system when watching TV. Our new Touring Edition has the Legend TV and a separate RCA Sound bar with DVD player in the living area. My issue was that the RCA sound bar with subwoofer was only available when playing the stereo or if playing the RCA DVD. When watching TV (antenna or sat) or when connecting a laptop to the HDMI inputs of the TV, the audio was only available over the TV speakers and not the nice sound bar and subwoofer.

Although I am not exactly sure why, the stereo did have analog audio output wires (red/white) that feed the TV speaker. I used one of these two audio wires and connected it instead to the unused orange "Coaxial" digital audio output on the Legend TV. I then removed the RCA stereo sound bar and relocated the other end of the same wire to the orange "coaxial" input on the back of the RCA stereo. Now I have digital audio over the RCA sound system that comes from whatever input source is selected and displayed on the TV.The only minor difficulty was getting to the inputs on the back of the RCA stereo. Had to remove the fireplace and central vac to expose a couple of screws holding the stereo in place.

On future units, Prime Time might want to consider utilizing these digital "coaxial" lines from the TV to the stereo instead of the red/white from the stereo to the TV.

Although I don't see an easy/clean way to do this after delivery, for video, it would be better to use HDMI or at least Component (R/G/B) video connections so that we are able to see the full progressive scan (480P) output of the RCA DVD player instead of the interlaced Yellow coax video (480i) it was delivered with. The video is not really an issue for me as I have a blue ray laptop that connects directly to the TV and with the audio mod, I now have digital audio from the computer on the sound bar as well.

Just some thoughts and suggestions from an Audio/Video geek.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #2

Great information. I'm sure to dig into this when I take delivery of our Crusader this month.
Thanks!

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:52 AM   #3
Toy-aholic

damn you! now I have ANOTHER project!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #4

Sounds like u did a good job. I went and bought a red/white audio cable with headphone jack on the other end and plugged into the front of the sound bar. Works great, just not as customized.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomas View Post
Sounds like u did a good job. I went and bought a red/white audio cable with headphone jack on the other end and plugged into the front of the sound bar. Works great, just not as customized.
I also use the red/white for analog audio from an external carry on analog source but the objective of the wiring mod I describe is to tap into the existing digital audio from the TV/antenna and pipe it into the digital audio system that came with the trailer.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #6

Ok I understand now
Old 04-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #7

Sound Bar

some elsw just posted a thread on that..and yes that does the trick..just another oops from the factory guys...sure sounds good huh..just think, we finally got what we paid for..does yours still come on all by itself when tuner mode? mine does, every day at 7:30 am..of course with shore power connected, which ours has on all the time when docked..
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #8
William

Good catch, hopefully PTM will pick up on this thread. Oh, and BTW, my still comes on occasionally and infrequently. Can't figure it out except for my old assumption that an external remote is turning it on.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Here's something else they should do:

The FM radio picks up only strong local stations using that little wire-whip antenna. They need to add a "tap" (6db or more) off the "cable" output of the Winegard booster control and wire that to the antenna input of the DVD/FM system. This makes a huge difference in what stations are picked up (when the booster is on). (A "tap" has minimal reduction of the signal to the other TVs.)
Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #10
Toy-aholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
some elsw just posted a thread on that..and yes that does the trick..just another oops from the factory guys...sure sounds good huh..just think, we finally got what we paid for..does yours still come on all by itself when tuner mode? mine does, every day at 7:30 am..of course with shore power connected, which ours has on all the time when docked..
Mine comes on by itself randomly...really spooked me ...hasn't done it lately though.