Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #1

Crusader or LaCrosse?

Greetings all,

My fiance and I are new to the RV'ing world. Although we are planning to get an RV to live in and not to travel in right now eventually we will want to use it for camping. Apartment rent in West Texas keeps rising as the oilfield keeps booming in the area ($750 for a 550 sq ft apartment) and I'm tired of seeing my rent money fly out of my pockets for absolutely nothing. We don't want to buy a home here as homes are also very expensive for what you get (ex. $125k for a 15 year old 1300sq ft house). My fiance's mom has a huge backyard so we are planning to get a trailer and just park it in her backyard here until we both finish school (my masters and his BS) and have the opportunity to move away and buy a house in a place we love.

We love the Crusader 320RLT, it has an awesome floorplan and we really like the roominess (high ceilings) in the 5th wheels over travel trailers. The 320RLT is by far the most superb floorplan and layout of a fifth wheel that I have ever seen (especially when considering the long-term living in one, dressers and closets and storage, oh my!). ALthough we have only gotten to walk through the 290RLT model, we've fallen in love with this model via pictures and floorplans. We think this model will be a great fit for us as a full-time live-in RV for 2-4 years.

Soooo here comes the questions. The 320RLT weighs a lot (9,798#'s) and has a hitch weight of (1,820#'s). We do not yet have a truck, but the dealer that we will be getting it through offers free delivery to our area, and since its just going to be parked there for us to live-in we aren't too worried about that just yet. BUT thinking about future expenses too if we want to tow it anywhere for a short camping trip (less than 150 miles) would a 1/2 ton be okay for short distances or will a 3/4 ton be a must to move it anywhere?
I've seen others on this forum with the LaCrosse model and although they have some great floorplans we aren't as in love with it as the Crusader 320RLT. Are all of the LaCrosse's 1/2 ton towable? Anyone choose a LaCrosse over the Crusader for a particular reason?

We are absolutely, completely new to this whole thing, so if anyone has comments or suggestions or advice please, please tell me so maybe I won't have to learn it the hard way lol.

Thanks so much!!
barretts87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:00 AM   #2

=

While I would suggest a 3/4 ton for long term towing. Some of the new half tons could do the job. For instance, the 2011 F150 regular cab has a payload (GVWR less truck weight) of 3060 and the supercab has 2670 both would cover your kingpin weight. The supercrew would not work. All will tow 11,200 pounds. This is with the max tow package and ecoboost engine. If you are buying used, you should buy a 3/4 ton.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

I couldn't imagine towing the 320 with a half ton. Maybe the numbers work out on some 1/2 tons but my truck weights 8000lbs. I think that makes a huge difference in how much the trailer controls the truck.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote