Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #41

After several months use I'll update how things are going. Added a front BR air conditioner. No provisions for ducting the BR so it's a direct dump. Sort of noisy but beats sweating at night. Otherwise everything is working as advertised and it's been a good trailer. Due to cabinet framing being MDF a few hinge screws were loose. Wood match insert and all fixed. We took a 7 week trip in the motorhome this summer and brought the trailer and boat up to AL and got it away from the bayou and potential storms. Were getting ready to head back down but think we'll wait a week. Michael coming to visit and might be a direct Cat 3 hit.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #42

So this is my first rv and need some guidance for my 340RST. I really wish there was a book on all this.

I will be using it thru the winter. It says it has stuff for cold. How do the tank heaters work? Are they independent from the 5th wheel heat system? Anything special I need to do? Thank you all for any help.
Trucking69x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucking69x View Post
So this is my first rv and need some guidance for my 340RST. I really wish there was a book on all this.

I will be using it thru the winter. It says it has stuff for cold. How do the tank heaters work? Are they independent from the 5th wheel heat system? Anything special I need to do? Thank you all for any help.

I dont think Crusaders have tank heaters.....the Sanibel line by PT comes with them but not sure the Crusaders do

Do you have switches in the panel for them? If not, it is just a furnace vent into the storage compartment for some, very minor heat in there
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
I dont think Crusaders have tank heaters.....the Sanibel line by PT comes with them but not sure the Crusaders do

Do you have switches in the panel for them? If not, it is just a furnace vent into the storage compartment for some, very minor heat in there

This will give us an indication as to if you have them or not.

If you do have the switches in your control panel and they light up, then you have the electric heating pads and are already installed. They are on a thermostatic control & usually (depending on their make) come on at around 40 degrees and below. They are completely independent from the furnace heat.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:42 AM   #45

Another question the battery disconnect switch on the 340rst. It don’t say which way it goes in or or to be disconnected.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:52 AM   #46

I understand what your saying I asked about the tanks because of this? There are no switch. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2605.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	188857
Old 10-11-2018, 03:39 PM   #47

Ive got a PrimeTime Lacrosse with the Extreme Thermal package as well. For the tanks, all it means is there is heat that goes into the underbelly when the furnace is on.

Mine doesn't have separate tank heaters either.. and the literature said the same thing as yours.

Mike
Old 10-11-2018, 07:08 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post
Ive got a PrimeTime Lacrosse with the Extreme Thermal package as well. For the tanks, all it means is there is heat that goes into the underbelly when the furnace is on.

Mine doesn't have separate tank heaters either.. and the literature said the same thing as yours.

Mike

Then this is correct. The insulate and enclose the underbelly and run a duct from the furnace into the underbelly for heat to the tanks. So, make sure if it's below freezing, you let the furnace run & not rely on electric heaters too much inside the RV.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by walaby View Post

Mike

Mike. Thank you. First time for all this. And will be in my home year round. Just learning this all.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #50

Quote:
Another question the battery disconnect switch on the 340rst. It don’t say which way it goes in or or to be disconnected.
If it's like a pull knob on my PT Tracer, pull out for power. Kinda like older cars with pull knobs for the headlights.
Days camped 2021: 19
Days camped 2020: 18
Days camped 2019: 17
Chief T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:16 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief T View Post
If it's like a pull knob on my PT Tracer, pull out for power. Kinda like older cars with pull knobs for the headlights.

X2
Old 10-16-2018, 07:28 AM   #52

Next question for my 340RST. I’ve read book for hot water heater. Is there a way to increase temperature of water? It is only warm at best I’ve looked at it don’t see a switch or knob like you find on a home hot water heater. Thank you for help.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #53
clr

Most RV water heaters are not adjustable for the temp of the water. That being said they do a pretty good job of heating the water. If your is only warm after it runs for a bit, you may have other problems. First I would check that the outside shower valves are closed. If you have a hose with a sprayer connected to the outside shower, and the valves are open you are mixing the cold water with the hot creating your warm water.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
Most RV water heaters are not adjustable for the temp of the water. That being said they do a pretty good job of heating the water. If your is only warm after it runs for a bit, you may have other problems. First I would check that the outside shower valves are closed. If you have a hose with a sprayer connected to the outside shower, and the valves are open you are mixing the cold water with the hot creating your warm water.

Agree with that also make sure shower itself is shut off at the knobs not at the head. You might try draining the water heater and try to flush out debris. Maybe remove the pressure relief valve and fill the tank with vinegar or calcium cleaner and let sit for a while, overnight or longer if possible. It will require a good bit of flushing if you go that route.

Some water heaters have a factory set mixing valve to prevent scalding. My motorhome does, trailer doesn't. Some research perhaps to check for that.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post

X2 on the above. The typical water heaters in RV's will heat the water to around 180 degrees!

Also, check your water heaters' bypass valve. If the valve between the cold inlet line and the hot outlet line is open, the cold and hot water is mixing there.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:24 PM   #56

I have a stumper. My fifth wheel 340 Rst says it has a fresh water tank grey tank and black tank. Book says that. On trailer I have a black valve grey valve and one other valve. On control panel I have black tank grey tank fresh water and ***galley tank***. That valve goes to it but don’t say I have one anywhere.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #57

Crusader questions

Quote:
I have a stumper. My fifth wheel 340 Rst says it has a fresh water tank grey tank and black tank. Book says that. On trailer I have a black valve grey valve and one other valve. On control panel I have black tank grey tank fresh water and ***galley tank***. That valve goes to it but don’t say I have one anywhere.

Check close to the driver side tires up on the inside frame....there is usually a pull for the galley (kitchen) tank located there

On our 325RES there are 2 gray handles and one black handle

All “stuff” comes out the same outlet no matter which handle is pulled

The fresh water tank drain is totally different from these
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:59 AM   #58

Quote:

In the literature "grey tank" includes any waste tank that is NOT black (toilet) or fresh water. Thankfully, when they label the control panel (lights) they label them as they actually are (ie; black, grey, galley (kitchen) & fresh water). However, sometimes the pull handles are not always labeled.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #59

2017 crusader 295rst

hope I,m doing this right , hello all I need some help making my mine up .we are looking at a used 2017 crusader 295rst . is this a good buy or not ?
timone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #60

I love my 2017 Crusader, but I have a 315RST. Many of the parts are the same, so you should be good. We've had some minor work, but overall, we love it.

Minor work:
Furnace Control Board - Dealer replaced the Furnace control board - Furnace was not getting the input from the sensor, which says the flame is on and working. It would shut down after about 30 seconds of running.
Water Pump - it failed, so I just replaced it with a different model. Extended Warranty would have covered it, but it cost just a little more than the deductible and I would have had to leave it. It was easy to do, so I just did it.
Minor woodworking - We've added some screws to where the wood was put together with staples. Just be careful with the length to make sure you don't hit anything important with the screw.

That's it. We perform regular maintenance, lube the wheel bearings, clean and treat the roof, etc.

If you are buying a used one, you can also have a mobile RV repair person look it over for you. There is one close to us, which charges about (if I remember correctly) $250 to do it. I tell a lot of people buying used ones to just pay it and get a second set of eyes on it.

Prime Time seems to be one of the better divisions of Forest River. I've owned 3 of their products and have been happy with all of them.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crusader