Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 01:59 PM   #41
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
TowMax

I also HAD the blow-baxx tires. To the dealer from point of origin, a 7 mile trip for the shakedown, then onto my 80 mile trip to the mountains outside Phoenix near Flagstaff. Camper was bought new off the lot with the tires just over a year old. Once at my campsite, I noticed on both sides, all 4 tires enlarged to almost touching each other. I drove very cautiously and slow back into Payson, where it was determined all 4 were separating in the belts. Replaced with tires that I never heard of, as that was all they had. Getting ready for the next trip out, the spare Blow-baxx tire had a monster bubble on the tread surface. Tire was never on the ground, and camper is kept in covered storage.

So far, 11,000 miles later on the tires from Payson..... still fine. All 5 tires were covered under warranty, so I was not totally out the $. Still stinks, as that was one of the reasons I bought new, thinking at least the tires would not be a problem. Never drove above 65, always conservatively, mostly, 55-60 mph. Camper and tires are way under-loaded, according to the CAT scales.

Lesson? get rid of those crappy tires and report them to the NTSB, as I have done. They are going to kill somebody, if they have not already. I am so glad that I am always cautious with tires. Every stop, I look at them thoroughly. I check pressure every time I start out. I check the temps with a heat gun in several spots. I do plan do get a TPMS soon.
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #42

How do I determine if my wheels are OK for the higher pressure required by the Goodyear G614's ?

Harold Wilson
Harold41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #43

The wheels are stamped on the inside with the maximum pressure rating.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold41 View Post
How do I determine if my wheels are OK for the higher pressure required by the Goodyear G614's ?

Harold Wilson
Yup, on one of the spokes of the wheel should be stamped with a PSI rating and the wheels load rating.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #45

My wheels had no PSI rating stamped on them anywhere, just a weight rating.
ghiotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #46

Do you own a Crusader? It's kind of strange there is no psi rating on the inside of the wheel. It's a rather universal practice. Please take my questions as curiosity. Not trying to be argumentative.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:56 PM   #47

Most Lionshead wheels have only the weight rating on the inside of the wheel but no pressure rating. They said that if the weight was, i.e. 3500 pounds then it could handle any tire up to that weight regardless of pressure.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
Do you own a Crusader? It's kind of strange there is no psi rating on the inside of the wheel. It's a rather universal practice. Please take my questions as curiosity. Not trying to be argumentative.
Yes, I have a 2015 Crusader 335BH. I was looking at "G" rated tires after my blowout, but could not find a PSI rating stamped on the wheel. I assumed that with 6 nuts, it would be 80 PSI max and not the 110 PSI max needed to run "G" rated tires fully inflated.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:23 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiotom View Post
Yes, I have a 2015 Crusader 335BH. I was looking at "G" rated tires after my blowout, but could not find a PSI rating stamped on the wheel. I assumed that with 6 nuts, it would be 80 PSI max and not the 110 PSI max needed to run "G" rated tires fully inflated.

Count your lug nuts again? The pictures I've found of the 335 BHS show 8 lug wheels that look just like mine. Mine are stamped on the inside 110 PSI.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #50

I have a 315RST with 6 lug wheels that are stamped 110 psi.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:51 PM   #51

Maybe they put the wrong axles on mine, but there are definitely 6 lug nuts. Now I am starting to wonder about that. The axles have a sticker that says 5200 LBS. Anyway, there was no PSI rating stamped on the rim. But, that is interesting MrNiceGuy that your 6 lug wheels are rated at 110 PSI, that's what I get for assuming.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:33 PM   #52
Site Team

Yep. Been there a few times with trail express tires.
Had better service with Maxxis and GY marathons. My first blowout did $4000+ damage. Good luck and don't let it rob you of your joy of rving.

Sent from my XT1585 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:58 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy View Post
There is no regulation that requires rims to be marked with a weight rating or PSI rating. OEM manufacturers do it to provide vehicle manufacturers with a quick reference for a particular rim fitment. Some are even marked with two weight ratings, one for single and the other for dual fitments.

It is recommended, when in doubt about a rims' capability, to contact the rim manufacturer. Rim manufacturer information, is required, by regulation, to be on the rim.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:09 AM   #54

Quote:
Maybe they put the wrong axles on mine, but there are definitely 6 lug nuts. Now I am starting to wonder about that. The axles have a sticker that says 5200 LBS. Anyway, there was no PSI rating stamped on the rim. But, that is interesting MrNiceGuy that your 6 lug wheels are rated at 110 PSI, that's what I get for assuming.
The axle manufacturers sticker on the axle does not have to match the GAWR (S) depicted on the trailer's certification label. They do have to have enough load capacity to support the GAWR (S) set by the vehicle manufacturer.

An example; A 5200# axle can be derated to 5080# GAWR by the vehicle manufacturer.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The axle manufacturers sticker on the axle does not have to match the GAWR (S) depicted on the trailer's certification label. They do have to have enough load capacity to support the GAWR (S) set by the vehicle manufacturer.

An example; A 5200# axle can be derated to 5080# GAWR by the vehicle manufacturer.

The axles usually don't match the GVW of the trailer because 15-20% of the trailers total weight is supported by the pin or front landing jacks when not hooked up.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
The axles usually don't match the GVW of the trailer because 15-20% of the trailers total weight is supported by the pin or front landing jacks when not hooked up.
What the axles support is figured like this, according to FMVSS regulations.........The total GAWR when added to the trailer manufacturers published (recommended) pin weight must equal or exceed GVWR.

Is that what you were looking for?

My point before was about the axle manufacturers certified load capacity being downgraded to a GAWR value the vehicle manufacturer uses for vehicle certification. The value not to exceed is the GAWR, not the load capacity the axle manufacturer has on the individual axle.

One of the major mistakes new trailer owners make is to assume the axles have even distribution of the load they carry. Often times surprised when they go to some scales to get each wheel position weighed and find the axle is not totally overloaded but highly overloaded on one side.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:24 PM   #57
Commercial Member

Quote:
I had a blowout on Thanksgiving (2016) on a TowMax ST235R/80R/16 LRE (right rear). Sustained around $2200 damage. Fixed damage myself, but Nationwide Insurance was really a pleasure to work with. The tires were about 2 1/2 years old with around 4000 miles (educated guess). Replaced with Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT235/85R/16 LRE light truck tires based on what I've read on numerous RV forums. These are heavy, well constructed tires. Only have one 700 mile trip on them, but it was a smooth ride. The TowMax tires were rated at around 3400 LBS. and the LT tires are only rated at 3042 LBS., but with 5200 LB., axles I'm perfectly comfortable with the arrangement.

Glad to know you have confirmed your actual axle load is only 5200#. Are you also certain the side to side load split is 50/50? Very few RVs have equal tire load distribution.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:34 PM   #58
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoglo View Post
Well, it happened I have now experienced the dreaded tire blowout. We were on the way to Orlando staying a few days at Disney’s Fort Wilderness (a must stay location if you are in the area). While on the Florida’s Turnpike the right rear tire just exploded. Before every trip, I check all my tires topping off to the correct pressure 70PSI as indicated on the tire. However, on the side of the RV placards show 80PSI conflicting information, but it is what it is. Tires in question are TowMax Power King 235/80R 16” load range E tires that have approximately 3800 miles on the tires since purchasing the RV new in May. I suspect transport from manufacture & then transported from LA to FL when I purchased dealer had to move the unit for me, tires have an additional 1200 miles for a total of 5,000 miles give or take.

On most forums from what I keep reading 5,000 miles on the cheap factory tires may be pushing it however, I have no such data to support this.
Tire center cap just ripped off (see photos) I have never seen this before except for tractor trailer tires this is a new one for me.

Now on to the damage that was minimal, had to reattach side plastic wheel side skirt hardware just ripped right out, darco wrap sustained a some damage, frame piece extension took a beating & bent back, electrical connection to one single break got cut off so I only had 75% breaking efficacy during the trip.

I have since fixed the electrical connection that requited taking off the hub, darco wrap was repaired with an underbelly tape, frame piece was bent back (is what is won’t be perfect), used much better hardware to attach the side skirt.

Now on to the tires, I have decided on two brands Carlisle Radial Trail HD Trailer Tire & MAXXIS. Goodyear’s have mixed reviews not confident with their performance will stay away from them. During the trip, I did purchase a Goodyear Marathon that I intend to use as a spare tire. Hats off to the folks at camping world that put the screws to me changing me $197.64 for one tire! $34 dollars to put the tire on the rim that I brought in they did not mount it on the RV. Could have paid allot less but time was of the essence.

Anyone have good experience with any specific tire brand?
Sorry to see you had a Belt/Tread Separation (not a sidewall blowout. You might review THIS thread)

LR E tires should say 80 psi and in trailer operation the tires should always be set to the inflation molded on the tire sidewall associated with the max load even if you don't carry that load. This will reduce the Interply Shear which is a main contributor to the forces that lead to Belt/Tread separations. Also running ST type tires any faster than 65 mph does structural damage. The load formulas used for ST tires are based on a MAX operating speed of 65 no matter what the speed rating is of the tires.

RE price. I think you have seen an advantage to having a spare tire.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #59
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonkid View Post
I ditched the TowCraps with less than 2000 miles on them, with the Firestone Transforce and never looked back.
TRANSFORCE HT | Firestone Tires

Since you switched from ST type tires to LT type tires please get the RV weighed to be sure you are not overloading the tires. You should always run the inflation molded on the tires when in trailer application to lower the Interply Shear forces.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #60
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I was lucky. When it happened in 2015, we were on our way to the International Rally. I called ahead to my service coordinator to ask advice on where to get it repaired before getting to the rally (otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to attend.....slides were inoperative do to sliced hydraulic line). They had me take it directly to the factory (which required a 13 1/2 hour tow, BTW) the next morning where they proceeded to repair all the tire damage as well as a few other items that were going to be taken care of at the rally.....all in only 3 hours!! All at NO COST.....great customer service and we were able to attend our first rally & had a blast meeting a bunch of new friends.

Didn't make a difference on mine. I also racked my brain between another set of ST's or LT's but, decided on the peace of mind of LT's mainly because the dealer I went to after the blowout had the LT's in stock & told me that a lot of the ranchers in that area put them on their cattle/horse trailers.

Glad rally was good for you.

Have to wonder how many have ever had GM or Ford tell owners to take their car back to the mfg plant to get repairs.

Tags
tire, crusader