Old 02-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #1
Crusader vs Keystone Cougar

We currently own a Cougar 26SAB and are between changing to a Cougar 318SAB and a Crusader 290RLT....... Can someone tell me the differences between the slide systems positives and negatives as well as some of the reasons that would make the Crusader a better decision. We have had two Keysone products before and have traditionally been very comfortable with our purchasing decision and service so a little uncomfortable about changing but it seems like the Crusader may be a better value for the money....For the sake of argument lets say the purchase prices are close enough to equal to not be a consideration....

canula2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
You're not going to find too many Cougar owners here on this forum. I don't know for sure but wouldn't be surprised if both manufacturers use the smae slide components, most likely Lippert.

If you're comfortable and confident with Keystone, why change?

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
Crusader vs Cougar

Maybe my question was worded poorly. I knew there would not be many , if any, current Keystone owners here which is exactly why I posted here. I was hopeful that some of the Crusader owners would know some of the differences between the two. Also the sales person was telling me something which I cannot remember about the differences in the 2 slide systems, which I immediately proceeded to forget and I cannot find anything one their web sites. You are right about why switch if comfortable, but it does appear that from the research I have done that there are enough differences to make the switch worth it as long as the Prime Time customer service is good and I am a little concered about the company being newly formed and only a couple years old.....Thanks for the reply Hopeful that others may chime in about the little differences if there are any research freaks like me on this forum.....Thank you again
Old 02-12-2012, 05:53 PM   #4
I would not be concerned about Prime Time being a new company as they are financially backed by Forest River. Prime Times customer service is exceptional. Do not know the difference between slide mechanisms. But I went from a Keystone product to Prime Time and could not be happier.
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie CC 6.4l Hemi
2011 LaCrosse 296BHS
autorot8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Thank you, seems like most of what I read here is that their service is very good......
Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
I could be wrong, but I thought the Cougar was an electric slideout and the Crusader was hydraulic. I like the standard features of the Crusader over the Cougar.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
I think you are right about the slides, is there an advantage to hydraulic vs electric.....My womans mind does not know the advantage to either one. I do know the electric in my Cougar has to be working for hte slides to work......It is the standard feature checklist that has me thinking of the Crusader......Thanks for the info
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #8
Crusader slides are electric. The rear slides are the standard gear driven lippert flush floor type and the bedroom slide is the schwintek lippert in wall slide. My keystone tt had the same rear slide mechanism.

Jason and Billie
2005 Dodge Ram 2500, 4X4, QC/SB 5.9L Cummins
15k non-sliding Hidden Hitch (they lied, it's not hidden at all)
2011 Prime Time Crusader 320RLT
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
Thank You for the info M109Rrider
Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Commercial Member
M109 is correct - Lippert Electric down below and Schwintek in the Bedroom.

If you'd like to contact our Sales Dept via Email we can help with some of the comparisons. Our VP of Sales (who helped start Prime Time) was the Cougar Product Manager at Keystone for several years. He's pretty familiar with the product.

RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote