Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #1

Crusader vs Keystone Cougar

We currently own a Cougar 26SAB and are between changing to a Cougar 318SAB and a Crusader 290RLT....... Can someone tell me the differences between the slide systems positives and negatives as well as some of the reasons that would make the Crusader a better decision. We have had two Keysone products before and have traditionally been very comfortable with our purchasing decision and service so a little uncomfortable about changing but it seems like the Crusader may be a better value for the money....For the sake of argument lets say the purchase prices are close enough to equal to not be a consideration....
canula2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You're not going to find too many Cougar owners here on this forum. I don't know for sure but wouldn't be surprised if both manufacturers use the smae slide components, most likely Lippert.

If you're comfortable and confident with Keystone, why change?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Crusader vs Cougar

Maybe my question was worded poorly. I knew there would not be many , if any, current Keystone owners here which is exactly why I posted here. I was hopeful that some of the Crusader owners would know some of the differences between the two. Also the sales person was telling me something which I cannot remember about the differences in the 2 slide systems, which I immediately proceeded to forget and I cannot find anything one their web sites. You are right about why switch if comfortable, but it does appear that from the research I have done that there are enough differences to make the switch worth it as long as the Prime Time customer service is good and I am a little concered about the company being newly formed and only a couple years old.....Thanks for the reply Hopeful that others may chime in about the little differences if there are any research freaks like me on this forum.....Thank you again
Old 02-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #4

I would not be concerned about Prime Time being a new company as they are financially backed by Forest River. Prime Times customer service is exceptional. Do not know the difference between slide mechanisms. But I went from a Keystone product to Prime Time and could not be happier.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #5

Thank you, seems like most of what I read here is that their service is very good......
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #6

I could be wrong, but I thought the Cougar was an electric slideout and the Crusader was hydraulic. I like the standard features of the Crusader over the Cougar.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM   #7

I think you are right about the slides, is there an advantage to hydraulic vs electric.....My womans mind does not know the advantage to either one. I do know the electric in my Cougar has to be working for hte slides to work......It is the standard feature checklist that has me thinking of the Crusader......Thanks for the info
Old 02-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #8

Crusader slides are electric. The rear slides are the standard gear driven lippert flush floor type and the bedroom slide is the schwintek lippert in wall slide. My keystone tt had the same rear slide mechanism.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #9

Thank You for the info M109Rrider
Old 02-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
Commercial Member

M109 is correct - Lippert Electric down below and Schwintek in the Bedroom.

If you'd like to contact our Sales Dept via Email we can help with some of the comparisons. Our VP of Sales (who helped start Prime Time) was the Cougar Product Manager at Keystone for several years. He's pretty familiar with the product.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #11

Unhappy

“The rear slides are the standard gear driven lippert flush floor type and the bedroom slide is the schwintek lippert in wall slide”. I wish I had that in my 2011 290RLT. All of my slides are the schwintek lippert in wall slides. I see the new ones have the gear driven lippert flush floor type; mine must have been a proto type to see if it would work. Well it doesn’t. The one in the bedroom works fine. The two large slides in the back half of the trailer have given me nothing but trouble (see my other post). Spent most of last summer driving back and forth to the dealer for repairs. The slides still don’t work right getting ready for another “fun filled” summer of driving back and forth to the dealer again. If it has the floor type slides in the back I’d say you’re ok if it has the in the wall motors and slide system I’d run like it was the plague. As for customer service sure the fix it every time I take it back but how many times do you need to take it back before they will figure out something else needs to be done.

2011 Crusader 290RLT
2010 GMC 2500HD 6.0
Nights camped in '11 - 35
62car9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62car9 View Post
“The rear slides are the standard gear driven lippert flush floor type and the bedroom slide is the schwintek lippert in wall slide”. I wish I had that in my 2011 290RLT. All of my slides are the schwintek lippert in wall slides. I see the new ones have the gear driven lippert flush floor type; mine must have been a proto type to see if it would work. Well it doesn’t. The one in the bedroom works fine. The two large slides in the back half of the trailer have given me nothing but trouble (see my other post). Spent most of last summer driving back and forth to the dealer for repairs. The slides still don’t work right getting ready for another “fun filled” summer of driving back and forth to the dealer again. If it has the floor type slides in the back I’d say you’re ok if it has the in the wall motors and slide system I’d run like it was the plague. As for customer service sure the fix it every time I take it back but how many times do you need to take it back before they will figure out something else needs to be done.
I hate to hear your having so much trouble. That just ain't right. I hope they come up with a fix that takes care of the problem once and for all.
Good luck and I wish you the best.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #13

62car9 Thank you for the info...Just what I was looking for......I am glad that the 2012 have the Lippert/Schwintek combination, but am sorry that you have had so much trouble.......I know my husband would be going crazy, he is a bit crazy when it comes to things being perfect......Actually we both are....You have been a great help and good luck with this upcoming camping season, I trust that all will be better and then perfect.......
Old 02-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #14

I used to have keystone products. Owned both a cougar and a Montana...I had no problem getting a prime time. In my opinion the fit, finish, and quality surpassed the cougar and is equal to the Montana. Also...the president of prime time left keystone to start prime time.....happy camping

2015 Dodge 2500 Big Horn 4x4 6.4 HEMI
2015 Grand Designs Reflections 323 BHS
Reese 16K Quick Slide with Factory Rail Kit Option
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #15

We currently own a 2012 Keystone Cougar High Country 299 RKS..And love it !! It has cable/pulley slides ( working good so far ) knock on wood !!! We had a 2010 Puma TT for a year , i got impatient hooking up ( 5th wheel is so much easier)
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #16

CRusader 270 RET

We have recently purchased a brand new 270 RET 5'er Crusader. So far we are not overjoyed at our purchase. Forest River has some teething problems that need to be worked out and their quality control is not up to par with say our 2003 SunnyBrook Travel Trailer. Currently we have an issue with the Aluminum Wheels installed on the Crusader. It seems as though it may have the wrong hubs installed thereby not allowing the lug bolts to come all the way through the Aluminum wheels, which or course ar thicker than say a steel type wheel. Forest River and the Dealerhip is checking on this condition, I would be interested to hear from anyone else that may have this same condition...the lug bolts do not some through the lug nuts...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lug nuts one.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	10366  
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
We have recently purchased a brand new 270 RET 5'er Crusader. So far we are not overjoyed at our purchase. Forest River has some teething problems that need to be worked out and their quality control is not up to par with say our 2003 SunnyBrook Travel Trailer. Currently we have an issue with the Aluminum Wheels installed on the Crusader. It seems as though it may have the wrong hubs installed thereby not allowing the lug bolts to come all the way through the Aluminum wheels, which or course ar thicker than say a steel type wheel. Forest River and the Dealerhip is checking on this condition, I would be interested to hear from anyone else that may have this same condition...the lug bolts do not some through the lug nuts...
I could be wrong...BUT... that doesnt look right and maybe even unsafe ???
Old 02-16-2012, 02:13 PM   #18

And ...the Cougar High Country models are all pretty much 1/2 towable..we would have bought a forest river product ..but... i couldnt find a 5th wheel that compared to the 299 RKS
Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #19

Cougar versus Primetime

When getting ready to trade in my 35ft Fleetwood Fifth Wheel Toyhauler, after looking at many different fifth wheel makes/models it came down to the Cougar and the Crusader 320RLT and to be honest with you the ONLY thing that I like better about the Cougar was a big giant comfortable looking wrap couch but besides that the Crusader was hands down the nicer unit. Its pretty easy to see if you really look that the Crusader is frankly the better crafted and nicer unit between the two. Unfortunately I do love to flop on a nice comfy couch but that is definitely not the basis to determine such a large purchase. So far we have had NO PROBLEMS at all with out 320RLT and if you go for it...I doubt you will be disappointed. I do want to mention that it appears that the 320RLT must be better insulated. In the middle of a bad wind storm a bunch of nearby campers all climbed into my unit for cover and a couple cocktails and all said the same thing..."you can't even hear the wind in here"..."its so quiet"....nice compliment to hear!
gratefulone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #20

M109Rrider is correct; "Crusader slides are electric. The rear slides are the standard gear driven lippert flush floor type and the bedroom slide is the schwintek lippert in wall slide."

We have these in the 2012 290RLT and have not had a single problem with them yet.

We spent many weekends looking at 5th wheels over several months before our purchase and looked at just about all makes on the market. We came to the conclusion that Prime Time gave us the most trailer for the bucks and we have been extremely pleased with our unit and also the customer service from the manufacturer. All cosmetic flaws were fixed with new parts and were quickly and courteously resolved!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote