Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Crusader w/ wardrobe slide, headroom?

Still researching a new 5er, very interested in the new Crusader 335BHS. Finally found some pictures online (RV Guy, when will pix & a 360 tour be available on your website?), love the inside - great layout and tons of storage. My one concern is the bedroom - being a mid-profile unit with the wardrobe slide, I'm concerned about the height in the bedroom. I'm 6'-1" and a bit concerned about banging my head on the ceiling. Those of you with wardrobe slide Crusaders, how do find the headroom & clearance in the bedroom? I'm hoping to look through a Crusader with the wardrobe slide this weekend at the local dealer, they have 335BHS's on order but still a month away or so on delivery.

RV Guy - if you made this same coach with a bed slide instead of the wardrobe slide, we'd probably buy it tomorrow! We've been to a number of campsites that would be too difficult to accommodate a quad-slide bunkhouse and be able to open/use the outside kitchen - so, no slides on the entry side is perfect.

Cheers!
hockey dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hockey Dad,

I did a quick search on the 335 and could only find 1 dealer that had one in stock with pics. It's in Florida w/Touring Edition

2013 - Prime Time - Crusader - 335BHS - Fifth Wheel - Stuart, FL - RVs for Sale In Florida. Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels, and Toy Haulers! | Florida Outdoors RV+

I have a bed slide, am 5'11" and have no troubles with the bedroom height (or in the shower either).

The 355 looks really nice and is almost the same as the 335 but with a bed slide...Just a thought

TV: 2012 Ram 3500 Laramie CC LB 4x4 DRW
RV: 2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
Days Camped: 2012 (3) 2013 (22)
Next Trip: Mission Bay, CA 6/6 - 6/9
DnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #3

DnD - yep, those are the same pictures that I saw - only ones anywhere! Glad to hear that you have no trouble with the height, good to know.

The 355 (and 360) are nice, but I'm really trying to avoid a quad-slide bunkhouse. We've been in a number of campsites where having slides on both sides of the coach and trying open/use the outside kitchen would be a problem. Also, the 355 & 360 are longer than we'd like, the 355 is at the limit. I don't really see the need for the 1/2 bath, and having the walk-in pantry plus the added countertop & cabinets to the right of the stove in the 335 is great! Looking at the pictures of the pantry in the 335 = perfect place to hang my fishing rods & gear !

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I had a feeling those might be the reasons you liked the 335. Well maybe not the fishing poles in the pantry part though!

Did you run that by the Mrs???

I am guessing because it's such a new model there aren't too many out there yet. I kinda went through the same thing waiting to see what the changes for the Touring Editions would look like before ordering. Hopefully RV Guy can respond and help you out. He certainly did for us.

Best of luck to you in your search!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Commercial Member

The headroom in the 335 should be the same as in the 320, 330, 325, 355 and 360.

They are taller than the shorter models with the north/south beds, and don't have the step up in the bedroom. If you have headroom in the models with the bedslide, it won't change in the 335.

I've found that you actually have a bit more walk around space on the n/s beds since they are 5 foot wide beds in an 8 foot wide trailer.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

DnD - I did mention fishing poles in the pantry to the Mrs., she just smiled so that's a YES in my book!

2008Wildcat - actually, the 335 has a north/south bed like the 200 series coaches with a step at the foot of the bed, that's my concern....

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dad View Post
DnD - I did mention fishing poles in the pantry to the Mrs., she just smiled so that's a YES in my book!

2008Wildcat - actually, the 335 has a north/south bed like the 200 series coaches with a step at the foot of the bed, that's my concern....

Cheers!
Yes, I see that now. We haven't gotten that model in yet either, and I just assumed it would share the front end like its brothers.

Wonder why they did that........it will be short on head space for sure with that step up. The only saving grace is, that you usually don't have to stand on the sides of the N/S beds. You kind of lay into the mattress.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Commercial Member

The bedroom on the 335 is EXACTLY like the bedroom on the 285, 290, 295, 298.

The reason we designed it this way was for weight and price. We wanted something under 10,000 pounds and (typically) several thousand dollars less than it's big brother the 355/360. Obviously, its impossible to build all of the configurations that are out there but we try to listen to feedback and suggestions and work toward getting it right for everyone as much as possible.

Check it out when you can. I think you'll be impressed.

We are working on the gallery - probably a couple of weeks out still.

Thanks, again, for your interest.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 AM   #9

Thanks RV Guy! I'll be checking out one of the wardrobe slide Crusaders this weekend so I can see the bedroom.

Can you tell me how the black and gray tanks are plumbed on the 335 -- is the outside kitchen plumbed into the black tank or gray?

Cheers!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Outside Kitchen plumbed into galley gray. Bathroom is all the way toward the front on this model (unlike our TTs where toilet is next tank over) so there's no issue with having to utilize the black tank.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #11

Thanks RV Guy - appreciate the help!

BTW, found some more (& better) pictures this morning: linky

Old 01-10-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey dad View Post
Thanks RV Guy - appreciate the help!

BTW, found some more (& better) pictures this morning: linky

That's a really nice unit! If you actually get away with making the pantry a pole locker ... even better!

My crystal ball says you'll be ordering one this weekend!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #13

So, just to follow up on previous posts... checked out a 360 Crusader Saturday, awesome but just as I expected - bigger than I want to go. At nearly 41 feet long, and with both rear slides and the outdoor kitchen open we'd need a very wide and long site to fit this beast in to. Again, great camper though! Also spent some time in a 290 Crusader bedroom to check out the headroom/space - overall, I was actually pretty impressed. I thought it would be tight, but wasn't bad - and, the overall space was actually better than some of the bed slide units I looked at. So, right now we are 98% sold on a 335BHS - just waiting for one to show up at our dealer in the next couple of weeks or so.

Couple of things for RV Guy and anyone interested --- the new bunkhouse couch is very comfy, but one thing I'll miss from the old sleep-n-play is the cupholders! Gotta have a place for the kids to put their drinks. Speaking of kids, I would like to see all the switches/controls (not the lights) put in one covered location like the way they are on the 325RES. Looking at pictures online of the 335, I see the water heater controls are on the bathroom sink vanity - right at eye level for my curious 4 year old! I can hear it now - Look Daddy, I can run the slides in an out!!! Or, burn out the electric element in the water heater....

Also, RV Guy, are the two gray tanks plumbed together (connected) or are they completely separate? Just thinking ahead as I'm booking a week long trip at a site with electric only and wondering how long I'll be able to go on the gray tanks...

Anyway, at this point I'm confident we'll end up with a 335 - just want to see one in person before we decide for sure.

Cheers!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #14
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks like I need to replace my crystal ball with a magic 8-ball huh?

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Looks like I need to replace my crystal ball with a magic 8-ball huh?
Yeah, thanks DnD - you have no idea... Actually put a deposit on one today! Now, what does your magic 8-ball say about the wife remembering her approval (err, not saying no) to using the pantry for fishing gear?!??!?!?!

Now, getting ready to order a hitch - Pullrite Superglide 15k.... Supposedly a slider isn't required with the Crusader front cap and a short bed truck, but I plan on carrying fishing kayaks on the roof of the truck, so hopefully the slider will give me that little bit of extra clearance just in case.

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats!

So my crystal ball was only a few days off

hmmmm Pantry ... I think we both know the answer to that one!! LMAO

Best way to find out is stow all your gear without her seeing it and see what she does when she discovers it. Based on what you have said so far it's better to beg for forgiveness after the fact! She really didn't say "no" when you asked her after all. "How was I supposed to know honey???"

Good luck with that!!!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
Commercial Member

All 3 tanks on the 335 have separate dump valves so they are NOT plumbed together.

Sorry for the delay in responding.

PTM
Old 01-16-2013, 01:10 PM   #18

Thanks RV Guy - that's a bit of a bummer, was really hoping they were tied together. I see a potential modification in the future!

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #19

Thumbs up

Update... we went to a show this morning and got to spend some time in a 335BHS Touring Edition - and bought one! The layout is great, tons of storage, a lot of floor space in the living area, the pantry is huge, kids loved the bunkroom, the Lane furniture is great - loved it! I'll have to watch out in the master bedroom a bit when I'm up on the 'step', especially for that antenna knob (bad spot to put it, blasted my head on that d@mn thing ).

Installed the hitch over the weekend - Pullrite Superglide 15k ISR and Reese custom rails. Took me about 3 hours, a bit nerve-racking drilling holes in your truck though - especially when it's 15 degrees in the garage!

We'll take delivery in the next couple of weeks, then put it in storage until things thaw out.....

Cheers!
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #20
DnD
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Congrats! I am glad you got a deal you are happy with.