Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #21
That trailer had to be at least 40 feet hard to judge.... Not that it would have mattered but I didn't see weight distro or sway control..... Granted it could be laying somewhere.

I appreciate all the input it made be further research and I am still leaning towards the Denali. More power then my silverado, slightly longer and higher tow capacity. Wheel base is a few inches longer then my silverado but the overall length is a few inches shorter.

Eckrote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
I'm just guessing since I don't have the actual numbers, but it's possible the Denali doesn't have the payload capacity that the Silverado has. So make sure that after loading people and gear into the Denali you have enough left over for your tongue weight.
Take the GVWR of the Denali, subtract the actual weight after loading for camping (including the hitch) and what's left will determine your tongue weight capacity.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2016 Nights Camped - 9
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by Eckrote View Post
I appreciate all the input it made be further research and I am still leaning towards the Denali. More power then my silverado, slightly longer and higher tow capacity. Wheel base is a few inches longer then my silverado but the overall length is a few inches shorter.
Denali wheelbase is longer than the Silverado?? Is the Silverado a regular cab, short bed??

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:54 AM   #24
All I know is that while I was pulling my fifth back from Minneapolis last year, I saw a large Chevy SUV pulling about a 35-foot camper, sprawled across the interstate, on it's side. It was a bit breezy that day, and I can only assume that he got into a sway problem, and the camper simply took the SUV with it. It was ugly.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #25
I don't know about all the wheelbase figures and statistics, but I have always heard that the longer the wheelbase, the better. I think the engines ability to pull the load with out giving up and dying is more important than wheel base. It doesn't seem that price is a big issue for you. I would search for a 3/4 ton Yukon/suburban if they still make them.

My wifes cousin owns a couple farms that I help with and hunt at. He had a 3/4 Suburban with the 8.0L in it. We bent the frame moving a Catipillar high lift with a pintel hook and a lowboy trailer from farm to farm. He loves to tell that story and we still laugh at it. The owner still boasts and brags that his Suburban was not having any trouble pulling it, until the frame gave up. The pulling capability was more than the structural ability of the vehicle. This by the way was not covered under his warranty, much to the dismay of the owner.

I am not expert, but the ability to get my 29' Salem up and down this of the Missouri Ozarks is most important to me in considering a new tow vehicle. At some point on a 1000 mile drive pulling a trailer, your gonna wanna do 70mph, or better. You'll want the bigger engine over wheel base. If your going to crash, 10" of wheel base probably won't really prevent it.
daddyntwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #26
good discussions- my point is don't post the out dated "rule of thumb" without more info such as a source and maybe how long its been around- especially as moderator's- I like YOUROO's point. to just say you need 170" is not right without a lot more info. maybe a sticky on what people are towing with, wheelbase, and trailer length, weight, a more informed decision can be made. I also like DADDYNTWINS comment.

I know at some point too short of a wheel base will get you in trouble, just as not having the right sway control, trailer brake and WD, etc...
who knows in the video what really went wrong- that was a big truck!
campfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 AM   #27
Don't call me Junior!!!
Now everyone has me nervous about towing at 29' TT with my short wheel base Tahoe... Urg..
2012 Tracer Executive 2600RLS
2011 Chevy Tahoe HD Towing Pkg
BubbaTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #28
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
There was a really good website that had all sorts of excellent towing information that used this chart:

110" 20' ******* 150" 30'
114" 21' ******* 154" 31'
118" 22' ******* 158" 32'
122" 23' ******* 162" 33'
126" 24' ******* 166" 34'
130" 25' ******* 170" 35'
134" 26' ******* 174" 36'
138" 27' ******* 178" 37'
142" 28' ******* 182" 38'
146" 29' ******* 186" 39'

That website was run by an individual, and a "big" company shut him down claiming copyright infringement, or something like that.

It was a rule of thumb. As far as I know there is no law out there preventing someone from pulling a 40 foot trailer with a Yugo, as long as you stay within the GVWR and trailer towing capacity of the tow vehicle.

A couple of years ago when that website was up and running, that was the standard.......but I haven't the foggiest if there is any scientific background to the chart. Many people (myself included) thought it made a lot of sense, and try to steer newbies from towing too long of a trailer with a short wheelbased vehicle.

There was also an equation that followed along the same guidelines as that chart. The tow vehicle wheelbase in inches divided by 5 is the maximum total trailer length in feet.

Someone can make up any chart that they want to fit their situation. Personally, I would not want to pull a 34' foot trailer with anything but a long wheelbased full sized pickup, preferable 3/4 ton or heavier.
I pulled a 2007 -392 forest river Salem 40 ft PT, with a 04 ford f250 super duty,ext cab longbox , had to put on equalizer hitch and anti sway bars, pulled good, just watch out for cross winds for 450 miles and parked my lake property. I bought the trailer new, it was junk , got rid of it after having to fight for warranty for 2 years and they only fixed the cracked flooring and furnace(limit switch). They never did fix the leaking ice maker valve or the cracked panels on the fridge and sound surround system ,also the limit switch in Furnace went again after warranty was over. Very poor workmanship and quality is terrible. I talked to forest river and when the dealer I bought it from went belly up , they never did anything for me. I will never buy another Forest river product and do not recommend any one else to either.
1WANDERER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:02 PM   #29
I towed this summer with a short wheel based 07 Escalade and had 2 tow days that made my decision to upgrade to the truck in my sig. Granted, I did have issues with a bent snap bracket on the first trip which I think contributed and added to the problem but in the end I still felt the truck was under sized for the job.

My first choice was to find a XL 2500 because we needed room for our crated dogs but I couldn't find one in Canada. Loving the new truck, the crates fit in the cab with the seats folded up and we couldn't happier. We haven't towed with it yet but I'm confident I made the right move.
26WRB - V-Lite
Denali HD LML
Coops1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:43 PM   #30
We pull with a 3/4 ton Suburban. We have three kids and two dogs so space inside is our biggest need. We enjoy this tow vehicle and are on our third one. I like the 3/4 tons because they use heavy leaf springs on the rear and not the coil springs found on half tons, denalies and escalades. If you need to tow with an suv like we do I would recommend the 3/4 ton Burb or Yukon or the older Ford Excursions.

We pulled our new 318bhs this weekend (granted not far), with some adjustments to the WD hitch it felt great behind the Burb. We had some strong southern winds saturday, we felt some sway, made some hitch adjustments and it straitened right up. I really like the spread axels on the Lacrosse and really think it works.

Our next move on the tow vehicle is to probably upgrade our current Burb with Duramax and an Allison, this option is about 40 grand cheaper than buying a new one and it will pull better.

Hope this helps the OP out, all the talk of length and wheel base seems confusing. That being said, I wouldnt pull my 318 with short wheels base tahoe.

HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

prime time