Old 10-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #51
phat phrog stunt crew

craigslist in my are lists a 2010 dodge ram 3500 cummins with 78000 miles, ccsb 4wd for 30995, advertised as priced cheap for quick sale. also a 2010 ram 2500, same truck but gas with 45000 miles for the same money. both srw, shortbox cc. how much steam will be left in the gasser at 150xxx compared to the diesel? how much will they both be worth when traded in at 150000.if you are worried about the 10000 dollar hit at purchase time, remember you will get most, if not all of it back at trade in. or, buy used and let someone else take the hit and reap the rewards at trade in time.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #52
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynerz View Post
craigslist in my are lists a 2010 dodge ram 3500 cummins with 78000 miles, ccsb 4wd for 30995, advertised as priced cheap for quick sale. also a 2010 ram 2500, same truck but gas with 45000 miles for the same money. both srw, shortbox cc. how much steam will be left in the gasser at 150xxx compared to the diesel? how much will they both be worth when traded in at 150000.if you are worried about the 10000 dollar hit at purchase time, remember you will get most, if not all of it back at trade in. or, buy used and let someone else take the hit and reap the rewards at trade in time.
Again, why do people think a gasser is done at these stupid low numbers? If you do you really have no grasp on how things have changed in the last 40 years with low tension rings and coated pistons, roller cams and roller rockers, better design and build tolerances and the list goes on. I never was and never will against a diesel if a diesel is what is needed and anyone who has been around for awhile knows a diesel makes more power and torque so lets just give that a rest. BUt don't try to justify spending 10k extra because "A GASSER WILL BE WORN OUT AT 100K", does that mean they are worn out when the platinum spark plugs are due to be replaced at 100k? Barring a lemon almost any modern gasser will go 300k with proper maintenance. Also was anyone aware that Ford's cooperate sales guys when they talk to their big customers tell them that unless the truck is hauling heavy for at least 60% of it's time they should be buying gassers and one of their large cooperate customers here in Sask only runs Super Duty gassers for that very reason. There is a place for all of them or they would not make them, just be sure of your "FACTS" before you put finger to keyboard. One more thing for me anyway, I have a friend who is a trucker as well as a welder machinest and he along with the local dealer talked me out of buying diesel the last 2 trucks and I have not regretted it at all. ANd again yes I know an oil burner makes more power but some people just don't care when they don't need to. ANd as to resale around here a diesel depreciates at the same rate as a gasser just because people know they are all the same and the engine is the last thing they need to worry about with a used truck gas or oil burner, you do get a decent return on a diesel but not the difference that was there new.

SO lets just all say together now" A diesel makes more power" and go have a beer.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #53
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Btw lol my gasser has 190k on the lottery roller and uses no oil in between the 7000 - 8000 mile oil changes.

Turbs
Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM   #54
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Again, why do people think a gasser is done at these stupid low numbers? If you do you really have no grasp on how things have changed in the last 40 years with low tension rings and coated pistons, roller cams and roller rockers, better design and build tolerances and the list goes on. I never was and never will against a diesel if a diesel is what is needed and anyone who has been around for awhile knows a diesel makes more power and torque so lets just give that a rest. BUt don't try to justify spending 10k extra because "A GASSER WILL BE WORN OUT AT 100K", does that mean they are worn out when the platinum spark plugs are due to be replaced at 100k? Barring a lemon almost any modern gasser will go 300k with proper maintenance. Also was anyone aware that Ford's cooperate sales guys when they talk to their big customers tell them that unless the truck is hauling heavy for at least 60% of it's time they should be buying gassers and one of their large cooperate customers here in Sask only runs Super Duty gassers for that very reason. There is a place for all of them or they would not make them, just be sure of your "FACTS" before you put finger to keyboard. One more thing for me anyway, I have a friend who is a trucker as well as a welder machinest and he along with the local dealer talked me out of buying diesel the last 2 trucks and I have not regretted it at all. ANd again yes I know an oil burner makes more power but some people just don't care when they don't need to. ANd as to resale around here a diesel depreciates at the same rate as a gasser just because people know they are all the same and the engine is the last thing they need to worry about with a used truck gas or oil burner, you do get a decent return on a diesel but not the difference that was there new.

SO lets just all say together now" A diesel makes more power" and go have a beer.
I think the problem people has in not bothering to separate a true statement from a generalization. Let try and see where we get:

-diesel engines typically last longer than gasoline engines: TRUE statement
-gasoline engines typically wear out within 100K miles: FALSE generalization
-diesel trucks cost more (when new) than gas trucks: TRUE statement
-you will never recoup the additional cost of a diesel truck: FALSE generalization
-diesel trucks pull heavy loads better: TRUE statement
-gasoline trucks cannot pull truly heavy loads: FALSE generalization

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #55
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
I think the problem people has in not bothering to separate a true statement from a generalization. Let try and see where we get:

-you will never recoup the additional cost of a diesel truck: FALSE generalization

So can we have that beer now????

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2016: 3 2017: 0
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8

Cheers!
Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM   #57
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
So can we have that beer now????
more in the fridge, come on down!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0053[1].jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	21221  

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #58
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8

more in the fridge, come on down!
Ummmmmm who's all invited?
I'm thirsty!
Turbs
Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #59

well...here we are again at 6 pages of over the gasser/diesel thing yet again....

all the guy asked was which was better for towing???...i mean really??? the simple answer to that is and has been DIESEL!!

but i digress....

ill see your beer offering, and raise you one limited AUTUMN release, caramel apple spided ale! lol
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #60
phat phrog stunt crew

never said gas was done at 100xxx or even 150xxx. op was asking which was better, gas or diesel. i think they got a pretty good response all the way around. my 6.2 ford gas motor (work truck) gets no better mileage than my 08 duramax. towing? i have no idea what the 6.2 capabilities are as we dont tow anything over 5 or 6 thousand pounds and not very often at that. it is a nice motor though that i wish they would switch out exhaust on it and let the sound come through more. i mean, breathe better

so, lets all have that beer, count the days til spring and stop being testy.