Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #101

Let me throw one more wrench into the gears, Ford Ecoboost. It’s a V-6 3.5 L twin-turbo monster. I would never have thought such a small engine could do so much, but it does. Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip to the Panhandle of Texas and was avg. 10.2 mpg. Averaging 65-70 mph. I have a 2900BHS weighing about 6750 lbs when loaded. I’m able to set the cruise and the transmission stays in 6th gear 95% of the time. It was about an 1100 mile round trip starting in the West Texas hills and ending in the rolling plains of the Texas Panhandle. Only on the longest hills did it downshift to 5th. Like a diesel I get 90% of my torque at 2000 RPMS, but I don’t pay the diesel fuel price. In fact I paid $2.97 a gallon in Lubbock.

I had a 08 2500HD 6.0 long bed, 4door, 4x4, it rode like a buckboard on bumpy road. Traded for 2012 Ford F-150 long bed, 4 door, 4x4 max haul, max tow etc. etc. I had forgotten what it was like driving a smooth riding truck, not to mention my insurance is cheaper.

OK, I know if I had a 10,000 lb or bigger RV then a diesel would be the engine of choice but, there’s always a but, for the pulling I do, and the trips I do this is the best truck for my needs. I’m a weekend warrior going fewer then 200 miles round trip. I make two or three long trips a year, 1000 miles or more, and couldn’t see paying the $8 to $10 thousand extra for the diesel engine. We’re heading to Colorado this summer and I’ll let you guys know how it does in the mountains

gimp425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #102
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp425
Let me throw one more wrench into the gears, Ford Ecoboost. It’s a V-6 3.5 L twin-turbo monster. I would never have thought such a small engine could do so much, but it does. Just got back from a Thanksgiving trip to the Panhandle of Texas and was avg. 10.2 mpg. Averaging 65-70 mph. I have a 2900BHS weighing about 6750 lbs when loaded. I’m able to set the cruise and the transmission stays in 6th gear 95% of the time. It was about an 1100 mile round trip starting in the West Texas hills and ending in the rolling plains of the Texas Panhandle. Only on the longest hills did it downshift to 5th. Like a diesel I get 90% of my torque at 2000 RPMS, but I don’t pay the diesel fuel price. In fact I paid $2.97 a gallon in Lubbock.

I had a 08 2500HD 6.0 long bed, 4door, 4x4, it rode like a buckboard on bumpy road. Traded for 2012 Ford F-150 long bed, 4 door, 4x4 max haul, max tow etc. etc. I had forgotten what it was like driving a smooth riding truck, not to mention my insurance is cheaper.

OK, I know if I had a 10,000 lb or bigger RV then a diesel would be the engine of choice but, there’s always a but, for the pulling I do, and the trips I do this is the best truck for my needs. I’m a weekend warrior going fewer then 200 miles round trip. I make two or three long trips a year, 1000 miles or more, and couldn’t see paying the $8 to $10 thousand extra for the diesel engine. We’re heading to Colorado this summer and I’ll let you guys know how it does in the mountains

That's the key difference to consider between buying an EcoBoost or Diesel...if your towing under 10K, Ecoboost is the logical choice if that fits your needs.
I hear all the time to always buy the truck for your 2nd or 3rd RV down the road, with that said, a lot of people go bigger...Ecoboost limits you there.

Many of us Diesel owners can run these trucks 500K miles plus, that's a lot of camper upgrades during that time with little limitations!
I'll take my 11mpg towing 12K lb camper and no power loss in higher elevations

About the cost to maintain subject between gas vs diesel, I think anybody who is diligent about getting the most out of their truck will spend money on more frequent fluid changes and more expensive fluids...just about a wash here.

More important, get what you like/want vs what you want to pay...you'll be much happier!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #103
Oklahoma Proud

Diesel. Once you tow with one you probably wont want a gas. For a daily driver I use a cheap Cavalier w/ 190+k and put 100+ miles a day on it.

If you need mpg get a car. If you need to haul stuff- get a truck. If you need to tow a lot get a diesel. If you want any if them to last, service them for crying out loud.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #104

From Santa Cruz to Bakersfield CA got 13.6mpg at 55mph towing 9500lb and extra 200lb in truck then Bakersfield uphill to Vegas 12.6mpg
using cruise except on grades JFYI

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel 2000 Honda S2000
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimp425 View Post
Let me throw one more wrench into the gears, Ford Ecoboost. It’s a V-6 3.5 L twin-turbo monster. I would never have thought such a small engine could do so much, but it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Many of us Diesel owners can run these trucks 500K miles plus, that's a lot of camper upgrades during that time with little limitations!
The little Ford Ecoboost will definitely have a wrench in it before it hits 500K so the extra 8k on a diesel is well worth it IMHO.