Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #1

Dining Table Mod

Here is our mod changing the dining table from the collapsable piece to a twin pedestal mount like the 2013 models.

We used standard hardware from our dealers part shop, painted the pieces black and installed it. It took about an hour and it works really well. Parts and paint were around $60.00.

Hope this helps someone else who is having fits with the collapsable table like we were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0794.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	23603  
HAARubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM   #2

But what are you using for support when the the table is in the bed position?
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #3

Nice job! Is your dinette in a slide, and if so, did you just screw the bases to the floor or did you reinforce underneath? Any problem with clearance?
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:45 AM   #4

IronJ, we never use the dinette for a bed so that was not a priority for us. You can remove the posts and put the top down to make the bed if you had to, my concern here is the thickness of the top and its strength just spanning the opening with the top. Maybe RVGuy can tell us if they used a different top material in the 2013's with this system or is it the same top with different hardware.

Timarti, we spoke with our tech at the dealership prior to screwing into the floor. It is a bonded floor with the top layer being a plywood from what we were told. I used #14 wood screws, 1" long and had good grip going in and no issues with clearence.
It feels very sturdy, 6 screws per base plate.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #5

IronJ, after looking at it I will need to add ledger boards around the edge of the seats to be able support the top in the bed configuration if we wanted to make this dinette convertable to a bed.

I didn't understand your question, sorry.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #6

Timarti, I guess I should have answered your question also, yes, it is in the slide.

Way to early in the morning to be on my computer I guess.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Here is graphic showing what else would need to be added to be able to still be able to convert this table in to a bed, I am still concerned about the strength of this top material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	23621  
Old 01-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAARubicon View Post
... we spoke with our tech at the dealership prior to screwing into the floor. It is a bonded floor with the top layer being a plywood from what we were told. I used #14 wood screws, 1" long and had good grip going in and no issues with clearence.
It feels very sturdy, 6 screws per base plate.
Prime Time's website says that it's Eternabond flooring has 2 layers of plywood on the topside. In my Lacrosse, this is 2 layers of 1/8" plywood that looks more like lauan as it has a thick centre core and VERY thin outside layers.

My freestanding dining table has already pulled the screws out of the floor in the slideout. The PT website says the slideout has 3 walls and the roof made from Eternabond and the "main floors" are Eternabond but doesn't refer to slideout floor so it may be different.

Bob
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

After reading these posts my fingers are crossed. I hope I didn't use to large of a screw. With the base thickness and carpet I probably netted out 5/8" of actual penetration.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
Commercial Member

HAAR - that should be sufficient penetration. However, it would be real easy to extend your slide room and verify they haven't penetrated thru the floor from the bottom.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

I was thinking about taking my posts out and put a bracket on the wall and let it fold down when I needed to. Like HAAR we never use it for a bed either. I just wonder if I should just leave it alone. the DW thinks so. I might have to tell her she is right, nah I just changed my mind.hehe

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
HAAR - that should be sufficient penetration. However, it would be real easy to extend your slide room and verify they haven't penetrated thru the floor from the bottom.

PTM
The factory did just that with my 270ret couch. They used 3" screws to install the couch. When the slide came in, the screws cut the carpet. I had to sent the unit back to the factory, to get re-carpeted and install a new bottom slide seal. So check those screws !!!!!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
DS ADV Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post

PTM
Can you confirm if the slideout floor is Eternabond like the "main floors"?

If so, then how do you secure the table to the floor when there is only 1/4" of plywood (and 1.5" of foam). As you see above, my table has already detached itself.

If not, what it is it made from?

Your suggestion to check if 1" screws have penetrated the slideout floor has me confused.
Suzuki DR350SE & Suzuki DR650SE
Specialized FSR XC Comp
DualSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:39 AM   #14

I did a check the underside of the slide after I did it and could not see an issue looking from the bottom. One thing I can say is that the screws went in very tight and did not not try to strip out once tightened. I was very careful not to over torq the screws. I am comfortable that I have done no damage, now lets see how she holds up.
I will give a report over time.

All I can say now, is I appreciate Prime times effort to make a flexible table unit that can be moved a repurposed, but the frame work was a little to bulky for practical dining table use, for us. This modification is great for us and our use.