Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2014, 02:05 PM   #1

Dirty roof-what are you guys using to clean?

My TT is one years old.. Tracer 2670bh... local dealer just did a free roof inspection as part of there NYS inspection.. just called me and told me that the roof is dirty and that it looks like its parked under tree in summer... wants over $200.00 to clean the roof.. I told him "no thanks" will do myself.... with that said.. I don't really care if the roof is spotless as long as it last as long as possible. I don't want to go up there scrubbing stuff if it can wear the roof down a bit... will just a hose work? or should I also get a sponge type of mop up there? I don't want to get anything rough that will wear the top off....so I can either
A)just hose it off
B)hose it off and gently scrub with a sponge mop
C)spray dicor aftermarket roof cleaner spray and sponge mop and spray with hose...
Im really sorry about these questions. im new to all this and I know a lot of your have years experience. I rather have a dirty roof that last 20 years then a clean roof that last 10-15 years......And I say that because I assume that the more you clean your roof with dicor cleaner or a mop it will wear the roof down some....thank you...
yankeeslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

We have a cleaners for truck semi's here, they charge $50.00, call around. J&J camper sales use powdered Tide w/bleach and that's what I've been using for both awing and roof for four years now.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I use dish soap, a wash rag and a medium stiff hand brush.

You will not be able to house it off.

roof cleaning should be done at the minimum Twice a year.

Tree sap left un attended to will actually harm your roof.

Dont worry about "scrubbing" your roof as i scrubbed my 05 flagstaff for 6 years with no il effects.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

No thanks to clean my roof for $200...guess that's why it's a "free" roof inspection!

You'll find most members here clean their roofs 2X or more per year (I do mine 3-4x year)

Basic soap and either sponge mop or soft bristle brush will do the trick...IMO, do it at least-annually so you can easily spot any issues with the seams, etc and you can make the repairs before they become a huge issue.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

A couple of pics.

TURBS

Sabre owners united!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398107869248.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	50587   Click image for larger version

Name:	1398107889046.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	50588  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

now to attempt to get on roof with my extension ladder.... that should be a post with pics on its own...LOLOLOLOL
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #7

With all this said. On my 2670 tracer.. is there any certain way to walk on this roof without falling thru and damaging it? according to there website these roofs are fully walkable, but I just want to doublecheck here.. any certain places not to step on? I will not wear sneakers up there in fair of ripping rubber..probably wear soft sold slippers or something and hold on for dear life...LOL.... anyways, are these 100% safe to walk on as far as falling thru? I never said I wont fall off, meant fall thru..haha
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Camper Less Camping

Between the alum joist and ply board sheeting that your roof is composed of... you'll be fine walking on the roof.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #9
Pug Dads

I use Murphy's oil soap twice a year and a small brush on a handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398111533.181123.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	50589Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1398111569.935479.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	50591
cheatham09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeslover View Post
With all this said. On my 2670 tracer.. is there any certain way to walk on this roof without falling thru and damaging it? according to there website these roofs are fully walkable, but I just want to doublecheck here.. any certain places not to step on? I will not wear sneakers up there in fair of ripping rubber..probably wear soft sold slippers or something and hold on for dear life...LOL.... anyways, are these 100% safe to walk on as far as falling thru? I never said I wont fall off, meant fall thru..haha

The rubber roof material is really durable. Consider what it goes through (beating sun, UV rays, wind, rain, sleet, hail, snow, tree sap, and sticks and acorns falling out of trees etc.) Scrubbing with a soft brush will not hurt. When all said and done, re-treat it with a UV protectant coating (easier cleaning next time also).

Oh, and I would wear a rubber soled sneaker up there. Rubber on rubber makes for more stable footing even when wet.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof