Old 09-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Toy-aholic

Maybe a class action is the way to go....sometimes that's the only way to get manufacturers to step up to the plate.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Oklahoma Proud

I've replied on some of the other threads about this situation.
#1 this is not a liability (safety ) issue, thus a lawsuit won't hold water....just cost you more than fixing it.
#2 this is a gelcoat issue not paint. Two completely different animals that people assume are basically the same. THEY ARE NOT!
#3 waxing won't help if this starts, its oxidation. You can have it buffed or color sanded and then buffed but most likely will return because of the cheap gelcoat. There are different levels of quality in gelcoat that have big price differences. And the main difference is the way UV rays effect the gelcoat, which causes the oxidation and if left alone will eventually breakdown the fiberglass.
#4 most manufacturers have had this issue and so many are going with painted caps now.
#5 if under warranty it should be covered, my dealer has contacted me about painting several of his TT's and 5ers that would be under warranty.
#6 I would contact your manufacturer warranty department and explain the situation and tell them " I love my (insert brand here) and just love showing it off as I travel all over the country, I just want it to look the best it can so I can represent the brand and how proud I am of it". If I was in warranty (instead of just fixing warranty issues) I would be delighted to try to help that customer out. If lawyer or lawsuit came up in the discussion I believe that, that customer would be dismissed rather quickly.

Anyway, best of luck to all those witn this issue!

Old 09-17-2014, 09:08 PM   #13

^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep, what he said!!!

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:48 AM   #14

To get rid of it temporarily you'll need to purchase a cheap polisher/sander from some place like Harbor Freight. Go to any auto paint supply store and ask for their best gel coat compound. It's pricey at around $30.00+ for a 32oz bottle. Cheap compared to painting though. Then you'll need some buffing pads. There are different types per application process. Follow the directions for the purchased product. Each product has it's own set of instructions as far as what speed to run the polisher and what type of pad to use. You'll need a cloudy day to do it. I buffed out mine on tue and it took me close to 4 hrs. And that included applying some polish by hand after I was done buffing. I know the fading will return but as long as I keep it waxed it should not return as fast as not waxing.

The hardest part is having to get up on the roof since it's a mid profile and the cap is rounded compared to more flat front types.

It's not a cure all but at least it will look nice for a few months. and not all of the cap seems to fade. It's mainly the upper part that's more exposed to the sun for longer periods of time.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

Anyone know the cost of having the whole thing repainted and new decals? I am trying to negotiate on a 2012 290 that has this fading but the rest of the Arab is ok

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 09-20-2014, 12:16 AM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Anyone know the cost of having the whole thing repainted and new decals? I am trying to negotiate on a 2012 290 that has this fading but the rest of the Arab is ok

Do mean the whole nose cap or whole camper?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #17

Just the Nose that is faded from Dark Brown to like white

Old 09-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #18

I just had mine done, but I don't know the cost as it was a warranty covered issue.

I will say this, the painted cap sure makes a great impression now that it is back to a shinning bill board running down the road with the product decal advertising to everyone that sees it in its travels.

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:33 AM   #19

Welcome to the world of Prime Time. Just when you get over the disappointment and problems of your trailer and start to like it, some other problem arises.
I have a 2012 Crusader and the brown cap is discoloring. I always keep my trailer washed and waxed and it is covered so the little bit it has sun on it isn't the problem. As others stated I think it's the cheap products Prime Time/ Forest River uses. Are they going to warranty or make good the problem? Don't hold your breath. If your trailer is out of warranty, it's your baby and you're S.O.L. I have even gone to their Facebook page and asked about the fading and the post mysteriously disappeared. So enjoy what you have and remember it next time you're in the market for a new trailer.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:17 AM   #20

I still like their layouts over everything else however the more I hear and the more I think I will most likely go for a used one not worth buying new for me. I hear things about every NFG and model so just choose the one you want and deal with what happens I guess but Crusaders are my favorite brand and model 290 and 294 I have no little kids so no use for Bunk models.