Old 09-12-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Discoloration on Nose Cap

My 2012 Crusader starting at the very top of the nose cap is showing a dullish hue of the paint. It extends almost to the word "Crusader". A friend has a Montana that is doing the same. Neither washing or waxing has any effect. Is this due to the sun on that most exposed part of the nose or what?

volwing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
I don't have a solution, but my 2013 295RST is doing the same thing. Very top of the front cap is faded from brown to almost white.

Dennis, Linda, and Scout the Dog
2013 Crusader 295RST
Husky 16KWS Slider
2013 4WD RAM 3500 Cummins TD SBCC
ddphillips52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
I don't have an answer, but does it look like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4122 - Copy.JPG
Views:	671
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	62695

I've seen fading like this on a number of different brands of RVs and not just Forest River brands. I've seen a few Cougars with this fading too. There was a Silverback that looked similar to this photo at the Goshen Rally but I never had the chance to talk to him to see if the factory was going to do something about the fading.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #4
I have a 2013 Crusader 290rlt and the brown cap has not yet started to fade. A friend of mine has a 2011 Crusader 260 and his cap is badly faded. The dealer told him Primetime had a bad batch of paint around the time his was made and that was the problem. They contacted Primetime and they would not pay to fix the faded cap since it was out of warranty. Even tho they admitted they used a bad batch of paint. I think in due time mine will start to fade as well. I'd like to find a cover that will just cover the front cap and not the entire RV but so far have not found one. Since we take it out every few weeks, putting on one of those ADCO RV covers would be way too much work.
2013 Crusader 290RLT
2013 Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Diesel
Crusaderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
Waxing in the very first weeks of the trailers life outside will slow it down, but will never reverse it after the fact.

A local body shop may have an option and could be cheaper than any from the dealer.
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Site Team
I don't want to toss fuel on top of a hot topic but premature aging can't be good for promoting business especially when newer units are involved.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Welcome to B.F.R.G.S. (Bad Forest River Gelcoat Syndrome)!

This subject has been brought up several's one:

Not a happy camper!
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW 6.6 D/A
2013 Crusader 335BHS TE
EXGMTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #8
Mine looked horrible within 6 months of purchase. I didn't have covered storage at the time and I realize that the Louisiana sun is tough on anything kept outside but I sure thought it should have lasted better. I met with a Primetime rep at a local show earlier this year and he told me straight up that PT had a known issue with the caps and had changed sources because of it. He offered to help me get it repainted and actually did follow up on his end of the deal. Unfortunately he didnt have the final say so and PT only made me an offer of 4 hours of labor to repair. Not much help in my case. I would still have to come up with over $2K for dealer to repaint. I agree that 4hrs is better than 0hrs but I was not impressed.
I love my Crusader but this front cap issue just blisters my behind everytime I see it. I have tried several cleaners, washes, waxes and polishes trying to improve it but nothing has helped much.
I will eventually have it repainted because I simply can't stand living with it. I have to say my loyalty to PT is not at its peak and when people ask me about how I like my camper I dont hold back.
A Cavalier Spaniel who has
no clue he is a dog.
Pirogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
Sad they are not doing anything, I just looked at a 2012 but the cap was almost white and it was the brown one, told dealer only way I would buy it is they repaint it, but not looking like that will work so moving on and looking at new or maybe another brand if this is the way PT treats customers

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2016 F350 Supercew Short Box 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
2015 FR Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #10
This is a known problem, not with just Forest River many manufactures are experiencing this issue. It is purely a gel coat problem.

I would recommend that if you are with in your warranty period or even slightly out of warranty to contact your FR brand Rep and ask if they can assist you in getting the nose cap painted and new decals put on.

2013 Ford F350 FX4 4x4 PSD
2013 Wildcat 353LS

2015 Day/Nights Camped 5
2014 Day/Nights Camped 29
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote