Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I was told by the Dish technician to point the handle North.
X2
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #22

I use a cheap hand held ball compass to see which direction is south and set the sat antenna down holding the handle while looking at the southern sky. My instructions say to position antenna with a clear view of the southern sky (that puts the handle of course facing north). There are 3 satellites needed for HD and only 2 needed for SD (sometimes trees prevent HD). Have never had to be precise, unless trees are an issue to get lock-on and then just slight adjustments are made. The whole dish thing is easy and reliable.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #23

Programing the remote

I used one of the Emerson settings to get most of it to work

Couldn't get the Mute to work though. I got on line and found this on the dish site; 20/21 Remote

Sad thing is this also didn't work.

I can get the volume to work now and turn on/off the TV.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:21 AM   #24

I have had a tailgater for 5 or 6 years with the
211K receiver. I have found that if the receiver is not used for a couple of months that I always have to call Dish and get them to send a reset signal before I can see all my channels. As mentioned above, they have me go through the complete setup before they finally give in and reset it, but once they reset, it happens almost immediately. I've never had anyone to come out or charge me to get it going again. Depending on how far away from home you are, you may lose your local channels. We are TVaholics so it's one of the first things we set up when we arrive at camp. Satellite AR application is free for Android phones but Dish satellite numbers don't correspond to numbers on app. With the tailgayer you just set it on flat surface with handle pointed north with a southern exposire and turn receiver on. You answer a couple of questions on the screen and the system does the rest. Usually takes about 10 minutes and you're watching your favorite channels.
rrickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 AM   #25

Ok we purchase a 211Z and the new style tailgater and are not real happy.

We are having consistent problems with signal loss, when we change channels it usually pops up with a screen and says signal loss.

We have tried repositioning the tailgater several times (clear view of the southern sky) and have rescanned several times and it does not improve.

Is this normal or did i get a poor system?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How long do you have signal loss?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #27

Usually several minutes.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #28
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
Usually several minutes.
Hmmm.

Doesn't seem right.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Try hooking the sat dome coax right to the receiver and see if it still does it.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-30-2015, 12:16 PM   #30

DKRITTER -

I had an issue like that in the past and called Dish Tech Support. They sent a fix via satellite to the receiver that solved the issue for me. If the tech says they don't know about that request a mobile (RV) Tech - there is or was a difference in knowledge by RV techs vs the general techs.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old 04-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #31

Hi if the Tech you get dose not have knowledge about the tailgater system ask for a transfer to an other tech. If they are not willing hang up and call back until you get a tech who understands what your problem is. The other rout would be to take the system to the Dish suppler that supplied your home system and ask them for help.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 PM   #32

Sometimes you will get a short signal loss if the channel you're switching to is on a different satellite. The unit has to locate the second satellite and you'll be without a signal until it does. The farther away from each other they are, the longer it takes. The tailgater has only one pickup (LNB) whereas your home unit has a pickup for each satellite.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:07 PM   #33

Don't know how the smiley face got theee. Should have been LNB
Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 PM   #34

Sorry that we haven’t updated in the last few days but have been busy.

We originally set the unit up in our driveway NW of Fort Worth about a week ago and started having problems when changing channels (turns out satellites) we would lose signal almost every time and every once in a while it would come in after a few minutes.

We went up to El Reno Oklahoma to run a Field Trial and work for a few days. I fiddled with it there some, moving the dish, rescanning satellites, ran the cable directly to the receiver, ran all the different cables I had and talked to a few of the neighbors in the park. Everyone was having issues in one form or another except for one guy with a Winegard Pathway X2.

On Wednesday we came back to Texas and stopped at Lake Ray Hubbard for a couple of days to train the dogs near there. Again issues with changing satellites causing signal loss. We checked the signal strength on all three satellites and they were in the upper 20’s and 30’s.

On the way home we stopped and picked up the Winegard at CW. When we got home this afternoon I checked the house and it was in the 70’s for signal strength.

We setup the tailgater for a baseline and it was again in the 20’s – 30’s, we setup the Wingard in the same spot (works just like the tailgater) and the signal jumped to the upper 50’s – 60’s and we have no issues. It may take a second to change channels (satellites) but no loss at all.

I don’t know if I got a bad Tailgater or not but I am returning it in the morning and keeping the Winegard.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #35

Tailgater is bad. I have used mine all over the country, including El Reno and never failed to get sats.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Tailgater is bad....
While you may be correct I'm not sure I can agree.

We spoke with several people using both the tailgater (white) and the pathway X1 antenna along with our new (grey) tailgater and we were all having or had reception issues both in Texas and Oklahoma. The exception to that was the Pathway X2.

Our reception signal was 2-3 times better with the Pathway X2 over the Tailgater in the same location with the same cable.

We would have preferred the tailgater due to the smaller size and weight but the Pathway X2 won hands down on performance.

All I can say is what works for me.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:32 AM   #37

Maybe I just got a good one, who knows. Anyway you will be happy with the X2. Has more options than mine for not much more money.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote