Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2015, 10:20 PM   #1

Dish Tailgater Set Up

We are thinking about getting a Tailgater and a Dish for our 327RES.

I am looking for some insight on hooking it up, all I know so far is there is a Satellite hook up next to the cable hook up outside.

If you would run through the set up process, thanks.
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #2

Hi DKRITTER Dish Tailgater easy to set up. All you need is one coax cable to power the tailgater and get the signal from the tailgater. I use a Vip211k receiver for the trailer this unit is SD and HD capable. I have the Dish Hopper at home and can watch all the home channels I subscribe to on the Vip211k receiver. I have also added a 2 gigabit Western Digital desktop hard drive to the Vip211k receiver for a one time fee of $40. to make this a DVR receiver. The good thing about this setup is that you don't have to pay for a DVR rental ever. The set up is easy and is displayed step by step on the television each time you set the system up in a new location. The big thing is you need a clear sky to the south (no trees) or a hole through the trees to the south.

Hope this helps Tim
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Very easy!

https://youtu.be/JdoZrVQCnys
https://youtu.be/gOmQN7zqu9c
TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:14 AM   #4

My son has one they use for tailgate parties and he just runs a cable from the tailgater to the receiver.

I get the part of hooking up the dish to the satellite port outside, I was wondering where the rest of the hook up is in the 327RES?

In a cabinet next to the TV there are 2 cable hookups one of which is the antenna booster and right now the other is empty. Is the empty one connected to the outside satellite port?
Old 04-17-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
My son has one they use for tailgate parties and he just runs a cable from the tailgater to the receiver.

I get the part of hooking up the dish to the satellite port outside, I was wondering where the rest of the hook up is in the 327RES?

In a cabinet next to the TV there are 2 cable hookups one of which is the antenna booster and right now the other is empty. Is the empty one connected to the outside satellite port?
I'd say try it and see.
Btw that where my sat hook up is, right next to the ota antenna booster.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Yes move the coax that you have running from the antenna out by your tv to the open connection that's next to it. Then move the other side of that same cable from your tv the satillite in on your dish set top box. Then connect the hdmi cable that comes with the set top box to the box and hdmi input on your tv. Plug in the box and presto it will do the rest.
ksents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #7

I too bought the dish tailgater for my travel trailer. For some unknown reason, my unit stopped receiving a signal after I re-hooked it up this spring. I called Dish and of course they had me go through the complete setup, moving the tailgater unit around several times (clear sky, no trees, no mountains, no obstructions) and still it would just .. . searching. They then gave me a toll free number of someone who would come out and troubleshoot it because it was still under the year warranty. I called them and they said Uhhh, if you want to bring it to our facility (2 hr trip one way) we'll look at it but if you didn't buy it here we don't service it. Told me to call the place I purchased it from. So I did. They in turned had me go through the same procedures as before and then had me call KingConnect.com who makes this particular Tailgater (maybe all of them). I ended up sending the unit back to them and now I wait to see what goes on with it.
jmwsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #8

My wife and I purchased a dish Tailgater Bundle this last year. When we went to use it could not get it to work on our own. Unknown to us we were told by dish they recommend setting it up at home before using it. The little secret is you cannot activate it on your own. We were told you need a certified person to come out and activate it. We were lucky while in Destin, Florida we found a antenna\ satellite dealer. Paid $125. Money well spent. Worked well. I might mention we also had our local channels transferred to Florida. We could not get them because of the distance but we picked up Destin local channels. My wife was a happy camper.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bears1985 View Post
My wife and I purchased a dish Tailgater Bundle this last year. When we went to use it could not get it to work on our own. Unknown to us we were told by dish they recommend setting it up at home before using it. The little secret is you cannot activate it on your own. We were told you need a certified person to come out and activate it. We were lucky while in Destin, Florida we found a antenna\ satellite dealer. Paid $125. Money well spent. Worked well. I might mention we also had our local channels transferred to Florida. We could not get them because of the distance but we picked up Destin local channels. My wife was a happy camper.
I'm sorry but they stole your money!
I just did mine over the phone.
You do NOT have to be home.
You can have it authorized in 10 minutes.
It's to bad people fall for these thieves.
I'm glad you got it going tho.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

One very important point for use with the Tailgater is to make sure it is on a flat level surface. I have had mine for 2-3 years now and can tell you for sure that by doing that you will shorten the searching for signal time.

Another tip is to purchase the Dish Pointer App (DP AR Pro). It allows you to find the Satellites you will be connecting to. In my case they are 110, 119, & 129. With the app you can also see exactly what might block the view.

Also, be sure to use the best coaxial cable. Usually they will have a blue ring on the connecter. I have the 211K receiver as mentioned but there is a newer model now. It is the Dish Network VIP 211z HD Satellite Receiver. It is smaller than the and lighter than the 211K.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalohunter View Post
One very important point for use with the Tailgater is to make sure it is on a flat level surface. I have had mine for 2-3 years now and can tell you for sure that by doing that you will shorten the searching for signal time.

Another tip is to purchase the Dish Pointer App (DP AR Pro). It allows you to find the Satellites you will be connecting to. In my case they are 110, 119, & 129. With the app you can also see exactly what might block the view.

Also, be sure to use the best coaxial cable. Usually they will have a blue ring on the connecter. I have the 211K receiver as mentioned but there is a newer model now. It is the Dish Network VIP 211z HD Satellite Receiver. It is smaller than the and lighter than the 211K.
Same one I have. Z model

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-17-2015, 06:15 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
Just a note. The coaxial cable from the tailgater must go directly to the receiver box. If you try to run it through your cable input on the unit, the power (which has to come from the receiver box) will be blocked by the splitters that are built into your trailers tv system. Otherwise they work great. Also try to determine where in the sky the satellite is and aim the tailgater in that direction (the handle points in the opposite direction to where the satelite is.) Dish says just point it south but if you point it more to where the satelite is, you get faster and better reception.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:

Your trl. should have a SAT. hook-up out side mine is where the water hose hooks up I have a sierra 365saq theres 2 sat and a cable hook up.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
I'm sorry but they stole your money!
I just did mine over the phone.
You do NOT have to be home.
You can have it authorized in 10 minutes.
It's to bad people fall for these thieves.
I'm glad you got it going tho.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
I'm sure glad you had an easy time getting yours set up. I wish I could say the same. I was told by dish they could not activate my receiver without having a certified person come out and activate it. Once he came and out we got it working without a problem. Happy RVing.
Bears1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 07:12 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillontheroad View Post
Just a note. The coaxial cable from the tailgater must go directly to the receiver box. If you try to run it through your cable input on the unit, the power (which has to come from the receiver box) will be blocked by the splitters that are built into your trailers tv system. Otherwise they work great. Also try to determine where in the sky the satellite is and aim the tailgater in that direction (the handle points in the opposite direction to where the satelite is.) Dish says just point it south but if you point it more to where the satelite is, you get faster and better reception.
I was told by the Dish technician to point the handle North.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:33 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Videos say point the handle to the north.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #17

We stopped by Camping World last night and picked up a tailgater and receiver. I found the smart card sticker and called dish, it took a couple of minutes and it was authorized. (We already had a dish account) Then it started to rain.

This morning I went out and plugged everything in and after a little while it almost worked, I had to call dish again and have them reauthorize the receiver.

Only challenge I have is programing the dish remote to run the TV, the "LEGEND" brand is not listed so I can put in a code, has anyone discovered what the code is by chance?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My idea is to know what the Azmuth is and point thehandle 180* opposite from that and you would be pointing straight at the sat. better signal strength.
Dick,
Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #19

Quote:
We stopped by Camping World last night and picked up a tailgater and receiver. I found the smart card sticker and called dish, it took a couple of minutes and it was authorized. (We already had a dish account) Then it started to rain.

This morning I went out and plugged everything in and after a little while it almost worked, I had to call dish again and have them reauthorize the receiver.

Only challenge I have is programing the dish remote to run the TV, the "LEGEND" brand is not listed so I can put in a code, has anyone discovered what the code is by chance?
Can you not program the dish remote from your tv remote pointed at the side of the dish remote? The procedure is part of the remote paperwork.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM   #20

Quote:

The Legend is not in the list i have for tv - remote from dish a couple weeks ago. I have a Jensen and the codes on the list don't work so i'm going to call dish they have a way to scan with th remote and find the tv code (tech help).
Dick,