Old 07-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #1
Stupid Lucky
Dodge vs Ford vs GM 3/4 ton diesel

Shopping for 3/4 ton diesel to tow our Prime Time Crusader 35RES and interested in hearing from our 5'er friends as to what model of truck is best and why. Interested in qualitative input and not antidotal comments such as Ford means "found on the road dead." We plan on touring the great USA in the future so looking for dependability.

Sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
First, I think a 1-Ton would be more suited for your application.

Each brand has its own strengths and weaknesses. Also, please mention whether you are shopping for new or used. The wisest of diesel pick up owners would tell you that the ideal vehicle would have a Cummins engine, a Ford frame and an Allison transmission.

One of the older posts on the Cummins diesel forum was by someone who literally checked all the drive train part numbers for the 99 Dodge 3/4 ton with the 24 valve 5.9 Cummins. Turns out, the only difference was the dually set up on the rear axle. In other words, the difference between the 3/4 and the 1 ton was the tire capacity.

I'd suggest you scour the diesel forums for the brands you are considering. You'll find lots of info on towable RVs there too. Check the weights of the fifth wheel compared the the weight limits of the truck you are considering. Also, I've found that the towables often understate the actual weight of the RV. I'd highly recommend that if the weights are near the upper limits of the combined truck and 5th wheel, that you proceed to a certified scale in your area and validate the "label" weights. You don't want an underpowered, under geared (high engine RPM when towing) or overweight RV experience.

MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #3
Another person wanting to buy a barely adequate tool for the job? I just dont understand how people go shopping, spend big bucks to buy the wrong tool for the job at hand????
Look, it is really simple. Look at the fivers GVWR. 20% of that number will be pin weight and placed directly over the rear axle of your TV. Assuming a moderatly equipped truck loaded with family and stuff, the truck will weigh between 7500 and 8000 pounds. How do I know that? Because after reading what others TVs weigh and weighing mine numerous times this apprars to be a good average. Yea, you might be a bit less, but you could just as easily be more.
Trucks GVWR, minus 8000 pounds equals weight rating. If that load carrying capacity is less than the pin weight, then you need more truck. If more, then your good to go for that trailer.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:30 PM   #4
I have a 335bhs and pull it with a 2015 3500 gmc with Duramax single wheel most of the time also have a 2011 dodge Cummings dully I use once in a while. The dodge with the dully handles the trailer better ride and control wise. However the gmc out performs the dodge in the on the hills and getting the rig going down the road. Biggest complaint on the GMC is the location of the DEF. I am 6 foot and still have to get a stool out to put DEF in if I don't want to spill it all over the place. Complaints on the dodge would be some recalls and no parts available. I also own 2 dodge 5500's a 2013 and 2014 and have open recalls on them with no parts available.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
cwc510117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:34 PM   #5
I would agree with the 1 ton. I had 2500HD Diesel and when I weight my 315RST it was 780 lbs over manufactures GVWR and only about 200lbs from max axle weight.

I like my Ford but if won't not hesitate buying a Ram either. Since they are making trucks taller I had lower my hitch to the lowest position and raise my pin box to the highest setting to get the 5er close to level (still nose high by about 1/2 inch). Rams that i checked out had higher beds than than Ford and would be a real problem to get the 5er level.
2017 Solitude 310GK-R Pick Up Oct 24th.
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
Sold - 2014 Cougar SGS
Sold - 2013 Jay Flight TT
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #6
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Might also consider turning radius. I also raised pin box, but I also lowed truck.
Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
Site Team
I don't see a crusader 35RES. Do you mean 350REQ? If so with an unloaded weight of 12235 plus a cargo capacity of 2035 equals gvwr of 14270. You are looking at a likely loaded weight of around 13235-13735 based on averages. Ideal pin weight is 20-25% of loaded fiver weight. This has you look I g at a loaded pin weight of 2647-3433 lbs. This puts you squarely into 3500 range if not dually territory. My fiver weighs 12380 lbs loaded and has a pin weight of 2620 lbs. With my chevy 3500 duramax, I have about 1050 lbs left on my rear axle but only 700 lbs left on my payload (this was with a tire loading sticker base payload of 4000 lbs). A similarly equipped 2500 Chevy duramax had 1000 lbs less on its base tire loading sticker payload. So I would definitely go with a 350/3500 level truck of your choice. I can tell you my duramax handled my trailer beautifully on a long 8.5% grade in NC both up and down hill.
<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM   #8
The 325RES has been discontinued by Prime Time
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
I would also agree with 350/3500 truck and at that point, dually. Any of the 3 will pull it, stop it just fine. As others have stated what years are you looking at? That would be a bigger influence first, Ford went through some tough years, I think it was the 6.4 do some research on it. GM had a couple of years with DEF injector, now warrantied to 120k IIRC, don't know anything about the cummins.

I am around 18k motoring down the highways and byways with my 2500 with a Duramax and that drivetrain is damn good, no complaints.

We bought ours with 130k on it, look one over good and don't let mileage scare you too much, if you do buy used pay the money and let a good dealer inspect it first. They can tell you all work done under warranty, if it's a 6 page report obviously stay away.

Good luck and I hope you find a good truck!
Crusadernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:14 PM   #10
The tough years for Ford diesels was prior to 2009 and back with their 6.0 engine. By the way and a little known fact the 6.0 was a Cummins engine that Ford had to modify to work in their Super Duties. Long story buy the modifications caused many problems so they went with their own first the 6.4 and a couple years later the 6.7.
Drive through any campground with many RVers and count the TV by brand, will give you a great idea what most prefer.

clr is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, dodge, ford