Old 05-19-2016, 07:28 AM   #31
Site Team
Some battery switches do not shut off everything on some rigs.
The logic there is up to the designers who aren't always logical at all....
As you can see by reading this thread there are all different ways to wire a
"disconnect" switch.

Me-personally- when I shut off the batteries I want them connected to
nothing inside the trailer- period.
So I added my own Blue Sea battery switch at the battery box.
They are relatively easy to install and I've put one in every trailer I've owned.
(I should have bought a bulk pack of them years ago!!)

Motor coaches and others with engine start battery and house batteries and generators aren't quite so easy and thus the multiple answers to what at first glance seems a simple question!

Happy Trails!

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #32
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
I am totaly confused by this discussion about battery disconnect. If the disconnect switch is switched off NOTHING should work Period. If stuff still works the disconnect is not a disconnect, if you cut a wire the current will not flow no matter what. if some manufactures are putting disconects in that dont disconnect ,they are just wasting time and money. IMHO
As stated, some items are fused directly off the battery but require a switch to activate that item (levelers/awning etc.) and therefore, technically, they are not putting a drain on the coach battery whether disconnected or not. In some installs there are items that have been deemed necessary to be powered even when disconnect is actuated (LP/O2 etc.) but would require minimal millivolt drain on battery. Evidently it is a crap shoot as to what each RV does when it comes to battery disconnect functions. As also stated take your volt meter and check your battery in each state of configuration and then you'll know what is what.

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:49 AM   #33
I bought a marine battery shut off switch and mounted it on the A-frame right next to the battery. Now when I leave the trailer in storage for a while and come back I just flip the switch and power up. No more dead batteries from things still drawing juice when all switches are off.

Larry W8PO & Lori N8IHJ
2014 Surveyor Cadet 265RLDS
2015 GMC Denali HD
Ham Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:58 PM   #34
King of the Road
My battery charges and landing gear are functional with the factory disconnect. Nothing else, which works perfectly for me. Wouldn't have it any other way

2016 Crusader Lite
Single slide

2013 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Tow Vehicle
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote