Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #1

Does my HW heater have electric?

Trying to figure out if my 2015 Avenger ATi has gas or gas/electric? Hoping for dual so I don't have to burn through propane. Any ideas. Not sure how to attach a picture of it on here
rhino_160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #2
Site Team

The brand and model number would tell the tale. If you have a Suburban, this may help too:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #3

Atwood g6A-8E is the make and model
I think it's gas only so my next question is how can I get electric as an alternative?
Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 AM   #4

My salesman told me that an electric element could be added. Check with a dealer for more info.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Water Heater Electric

Simple: Open the vented door on the outside of the trailer that lets you access the water heater.
Squat down so you can look past all the pipes, and such, that are in the way and look at the left side of the heater. There should be a little flat toggle switch ( a rocker switch), with a clevis pin stuck through it.
If that little black switch is there, you have a 120 electric side. To use it, pull the pin, and rock the switch to ON.
The tank MUST be full of water when you do this!
Don't forget to turn it off, when winterizing, or when parked and not in use.
It pulls about 1300 watts, so if you are using a generator to run it, you will hear the generator bear down, until the heater element kicks off (once it has reached temperature).
Hope that helps.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_160 View Post
I think it's gas only so my next question is how can I get electric as an alternative?
Yes, that appears to be a propane only model.

They do make after-market add-ons for things like this. One is a Hot-Rodd

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Group-.../dp/B002SSIBSA

and Camco also makes one:

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-11673-Wa.../dp/B0024ECCJW

Couple of caveats to consider:
1.These add on kits are a lot lower wattage than an OEM heating element, which is usually in the 1400-1500 watt range. The add-ons are around a third of that and will take longer to heat up.

2. Considering the price, and the fact that your water heater actually doesn't take a lot of propane to heat the water... you need to factor in if it's worth the cost vs the propane usage.

It's your decision ultimately, and what makes you content.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpac View Post
Simple: Open the vented door on the outside of the trailer that lets you access the water heater.
Squat down so you can look past all the pipes, and such, that are in the way and look at the left side of the heater. There should be a little flat toggle switch ( a rocker switch), with a clevis pin stuck through it.
If that little black switch is there, you have a 120 electric side. To use it, pull the pin, and rock the switch to ON.
The tank MUST be full of water when you do this!
Don't forget to turn it off, when winterizing, or when parked and not in use.
It pulls about 1300 watts, so if you are using a generator to run it, you will hear the generator bear down, until the heater element kicks off (once it has reached temperature).
Hope that helps.

One more thing.....Atwoods DO NOT have the external rocker switch. Another way to tell which BRAND you have is to look at the angle of the outside drain plug. Suburban has a straight plug outlet with an anode rod. Atwood has an drain that is angled down & dosen't require an anode rod.

The G6A-8E, IS a 120v electric/12v DSI propane water heater. So, if it is not working on electric and all switches and fuses check out, then your heating element may be burned out. This will happen in seconds if the heater is turned on (electric) & there was NO water in the heater. The heating element will then have to be replaced.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:56 PM   #8

From what I am reading it's propane only. You have a link saying otherwise?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
From what I am reading it's propane only.
That's correct Rhino, according to the spec chart from the Atwood website. It is propane only with direct spark ignition.

Atwood Water Heaters Brochure

Unlike the Suburban water heaters that do have an E in the model number to indicate electric, it appears the Atwoods have a C in their model numbers to indicate electric. May possibly mean Combination, but that's just a guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	atwoodbrochure.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	89478  

Old 09-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
That's correct Rhino, according to the spec chart from the Atwood website. It is propane only with direct spark ignition.

Atwood Water Heaters Brochure

Unlike the Suburban water heaters that do have an E in the model number to indicate electric, it appears the Atwoods have a C in their model numbers to indicate electric. May possibly mean Combination, but that's just a guess.

You are correct wmtire, I stand corrected, my humble apologies. I read the same Atwood brochure too hastily and completely miss-read the chart. My apologies to you Rhino for the confusion
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #11

A gas water heater truly does not burn through gas all that fast. Granted we have 30 lb tanks but using not even two 30lb tanks for a season also using the furnace some & the DW uses the stove is not all that bad.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:28 PM   #12

Professor Fingers here (remember him?) with some numbers:
  • 30lbs of propane has 378,000 BTU at the generally accepted figure of 12,600 BTU/pound
  • Assuming you want to raise the water temp approx 80F (from 60 to 140 - Atwoods have a 140 degree thermostat, Suburbans 130), 378,000 BTU will heat 4725 pounds of water (1 BTU raises one pound of water one degree F)
  • 4275 pounds of water is 569 gallons (8.3 pounds per gallon of water)
  • which is 95 complete fillups of the typical 6 gallon water heater.

BUT the typical RV water heater is probably less than 50% efficient and then there's standby losses so make that 47 or less complete fillups.

Only you can judge how long it takes you to use that much hot water according to your usage.

That's why those of us that have a WH that has an electric element prefer to use it if the electric is included with the campsite fee.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:55 PM   #13

I appreciate all the responses. I am wanting the electric option but seems it may a pain in the rear to add one with the breaker, running wires, switch, etc...
I think I will deal With propane and just see how much I use for a season
Old 09-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #14

Even with the electric option the water heater uses so little gas I prefer to use the gas option.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater