Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Dometic A/C & heat pump??

I have a '12 Sanibel 3500 and have been full timing for 5.5 years and about 50,000 miles so far. Two summers ago I replaced both A/C covers and looked up the A/C model numbers and found out that they were able to function of a heat pump too. My thermostat doesn't have that option in the menu. Does anyone know if it is fairly easy to enable that function and how it might be done? I suspect it would entail a different thermostat and some wiring modifications.

Ken
Old 02-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanie View Post
I have a '12 Sanibel 3500 and have been full timing for 5.5 years and about 50,000 miles so far. Two summers ago I replaced both A/C covers and looked up the A/C model numbers and found out that they were able to function of a heat pump too. My thermostat doesn't have that option in the menu. Does anyone know if it is fairly easy to enable that function and how it might be done? I suspect it would entail a different thermostat and some wiring modifications.

Ken

They may have the capability but, unless the heating kit is already installed there is no heating function from the A/C units. If they were there, the Dometic CCC digital thermostat would probably automatically sense that they are there and give you that function on the screen. I have a 2014 (manufactured in Sept. 2013) & do not have the heat option. I also don't recall being offered that option when we ordered our unit.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:

Ken
Something is not right. Possibly an improper R&R by someone at some point. The control should match the unit or a mistake was done.

However, my experience and read other threads for their opinions, you have not lost anything. I use the propane heater and on occasion a freestanding electric heater. After trying a few times, the abominable output over hours is a waste of electricity! I have never seen AC heat as atrocious as in the RV industry.
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #4

It's never been messed with since new (Jan 2013). I never felt the need for a heat pump but talked to some people that like theirs, at least until the temp gets to about 40* or so. I thought if I COULD do it maybe it's worth it but I've never really missed it so far. I use the electric fireplace a LOT and the gas furnace when it gets really cold to keep up.

Thanks for the responses, I'm not going to think about it again...

ken
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #5

Quote:
It's never been messed with since new (Jan 2013). I never felt the need for a heat pump but talked to some people that like theirs, at least until the temp gets to about 40* or so. I thought if I COULD do it maybe it's worth it but I've never really missed it so far. I use the electric fireplace a LOT and the gas furnace when it gets really cold to keep up.

Thanks for the responses, I'm not going to think about it again...

ken

X2 on the fireplace. We also use 1 other electric heater near the end of the kitchen island. With that, we're usually good to around 35 degrees, unless the wind is blowing. That seems to suck the heat right out. Of course, this all depends on if we're not on a metered site.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #6

If your A/C is indeed a heat pump model, it will have a reversing valve on the refrigerant line. If you have the reversing valve and the system is Dometics' CCC, the circuit board on the A/C unit has a dip switch that has to be set to show the thermostat the unit is a heat pump.
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 PM   #7

Heat pump is not something you add to an A/C. It is designed into the A/C. it involves a reversing valve to reverse the gas in the unit. It reverses the condensation coils and the evaporation coils. If there is no reversing valve then there is no heat pump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:36 PM   #8

I might have jumped too soon because I immediately thought OP actually meant the heat strips that are found/installed in some A/C units but referred to it as a heat pump.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #9

As noisy as a roof-mounted Dometic is, I wouldn't use the heat function even if I had one. Also, you want A/C flowing down from the roof, and heat flowing up from the floor.

We use small, quiet portable electric heaters when on shore power.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:19 PM   #10
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

A lot of campers are going for the heat pump or 'Cheap Heat' (Cheap Heat is a brand name) as they think that the campgrounds and RV parks are going to pay for the electricity.

Think again...

Campgrounds and RV parks are starting to charge for electric for more than one night stays!

That ride was short lived...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #11

Heat pump

I ordered both of my 5th wheels with the heat pump option. Love it. I only used one bottle of propane in 2 years on my first camper. (I don't winter camp).
As stated before they are only good to about 40 deg. Big difference between a heat pump and a heat strip.
I haven't come across campgrounds that charge for electric yet. Seasonal yes, daily/weekly no.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:26 PM   #12

Thanks for the additional responses. The roof A/C fan IS noisy, my wife loves it and has it on more than off just for the noise. I used to work on A/C & refrigeration systems in the Coast Guard so I understand how heat pumps work. My model number shows it as an A/C & heat pump but the thermostat can't do it. Maybe in the future I'll pull the covers and see if the reversing valves are actually in place. It just surprised me when I bought the new covers that the model number showed heat pump. You would think Prime Time would make that function available as a selling point..

ken
Old 02-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #13

The heat pump feature also pulls moisture out of the trailer so if you are in say a 50 degree day and foggy, the heat pump will help. If you can get it active I think you will like it.

2012 Prime Time Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic, pump