Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2011, 03:43 PM   #1

Dump Valve Handles

Found my black tank handle loose and grey tank handle missing this morning at the dump station. 3rd trip in my new LaCrosse and learned something new. The handles are in fact removable and will work their way loose and find a new home on the side of the road. Just an FYI incase someone else didn't know about this. Yet another thing to add to my list of things to check before leaving the house.
Notuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #2

Notice mine were loose as well. Just got it back from the dealer and one of the things they did was place some lock tight on the handles. They still turn, but you can feel some resistance now.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #3

I'm going to have to lock tite mine this week.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4

Is it the handle that turns off the rod or what should I be looking for to try and prevent it from happening to us?
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #5

I had the same problem. I just emailed PT through their website. They shipped 2 new ones, no questions asked. I just paid the shipping. And that is to Canada. PT service is the best. My dealer didn't carry them and looked at my like was from another planet when I was describing them.
skgeorgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malco View Post
Is it the handle that turns off the rod or what should I be looking for to try and prevent it from happening to us?
It's the handle and rod.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

I suppose they will be the next thing to fall off my trailer. Wayne
wayne anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #8

Just sent an email to Prime Time about a replacement handle and also about the electric jack on the tongue of the trailer. It has been working fine, then all of a sudden this weekend it will not retract. I removed the cover looking for a loose connection but didn't find anything. It did start to work while I was hooking up to come home but has quit again. Is there a self resetting breaker that I can't find for each direction of travel? It looks like a simple enough system that just reverses polarity to change direction of the motor. Seems like if it was a breaker or fuse it wouldn't work in either direction. Extend works perfectly but retract has a mind of it's own. Anyone else had a problem with their front jack and fixed it?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #9

Sounds like a bad switch.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #10

Prime Time is sending a new handle and rod for the dump tank valve to replace the one that worked its way loose and fell off. Will be reinstalling with loctite to prevent this from happening again. Prime Time customer service at its best yet again. As far as the electric jack goes, looks like another trip to the dealer to have it looked at per PT's suggestion.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #11

I lost 2 handles AND rods on the galley tank and grey tank too,
'11 Lacrosse 296 BHS, 2- 6V batteries
74bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

Wow! I bet Prime Time will get on this right away.
Be sure to let them know if your having this problem.
Prime Time Manufacturing, Manufacturers of travel trailers and fifth wheels
Old 08-25-2011, 03:52 PM   #13

I bought replacements and installed them...16$ total...just got 'er done!
'11 Lacrosse 296 BHS, 2- 6V batteries
74bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #14

I'm waiting on new ones to come in the mail. Bet these won't fall off by the time I'm finished with the loctite.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #15

Just thought I would mention, and I hope that RV Guy doesn't mind, that I've been told that Prime Time is now aware of the problem with the dump handles and has made changes on the factory floor to assure the handles are properly installed and a quality check for the handles has also be established.
Now I know that doesn't help those of us that have already experienced the problem, but according to what I have read on this forum Prime Time is correcting the issue as soon as customers contact them. Not much more a manufacturer can do.
When I met RV Guy last friday he told me that some people may not believe it, but when he reads a thread, such as this one, he sends the link throughout the company to make everyone at PT aware of the problem. That way people immediately began working on a fix.
Just wanted to share with everyone that customer satisfaction truly seems to be a priority with Prime Time.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:45 PM   #16

Add me to the list of loose handles. I went out to check mine. About 1 turn and the gray tank handle came off, rod and all. The black tank handle was about the same. I had to retap the rod on both. The gray tank valve is at a little bit of an angle. I couldn't get the rod back on without stripping the threads. I ended up drilling out the threads and using epoxy. I will have to check it tomorrow. I'm glad I checked. we are going out in a week for Labor Day weekend. As loose as they were, they probably wouldn't make it through the weekend.

2011 Prime Time Tracer 3000BHS
2007 Ford Expedition
Reese Dual Cam HP Hitch
Nights Camped 2015-5 in TT
DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
WJC

Add me on the list, last trip went great until I went to dump the black tank, I pulled the handle and it came out not opening the tank! But it did not come loose, the threaded part of the rod broke by the valve! My rods were also angled, I think they had to bend them to get through the holes. The handles had a lot of play from day one, thought that was the way it was made.
WJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #18

New handle and rod were here waiting for me when I arrived at home this afternoon. A dab of thread locker and we are back in business. Leaving Thursday for the Labor Day weekend and glad to have both handles in place. Thank you Prime Time for taking care of this so quickly.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #19

My grey tank rod broke off (It's only aluminum and cracked at the join) so I bought a 12 inch 1/4 threaded rod and 2 coupling nuts at the hardware store. The coupling nut screwed onto the male rod from the valve and the new threaded rod (cut to length) screwed into it. I then screwed the handle on and its so much stronger than the original. For $2.00 total, I replaced both.
Jeff
Edisonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notuck
Just sent an email to Prime Time about a replacement handle and also about the electric jack on the tongue of the trailer. It has been working fine, then all of a sudden this weekend it will not retract. I removed the cover looking for a loose connection but didn't find anything. It did start to work while I was hooking up to come home but has quit again. Is there a self resetting breaker that I can't find for each direction of travel? It looks like a simple enough system that just reverses polarity to change direction of the motor. Seems like if it was a breaker or fuse it wouldn't work in either direction. Extend works perfectly but retract has a mind of it's own. Anyone else had a problem with their front jack and fixed it?
I had a similar problem, and my brother in law is an electrical type guy who said it was a grounding issue. He took apart the connections outside the battery box, and reconnected them more securely. Haven't had an issue since.
Jeff
Edisonj is offline   Reply With Quote