Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

DW wants to know how you pack pantry for travel

I'm 07ThunderRoad's wife and I'd like to know from you ladies how you prevent damage to goods in the pantry. Where do you all put your stuff in your unit? The pantry has so much wasted space and I'm using the sliding racks in the cabinets left and right of the microwave for canned goods and coffee cups. All I know this setup isn't working.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

Just yell at your husband to drive slower.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The more you put in the pantry, the less things move around. I try to at least get enough in there so that whatever's in there holds each other up.

Not too hard to do when packing food for 4 (6 counting the dogs).

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 AM   #4

The DW places the throw pillows from the couch and chairs in the cabinets, it stabilizes most of the items.
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:46 AM   #5

Pack all your non refrigerator items in the pantry as well as any other thing that you have to use. Such as small appliances we also use the plastic baskets available at the dollar tree to hold items in place. Store paper towels and such ther as well
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

I am the DW - We never had a pantry. We have a corner Fridge and to the right of that was this big coat closet that had two hooks. DH took out the hooks, built shelves, and that is my food pantry. The cupboard above that was one big empty cupboard - DH built shelves, and that is another food pantry. They are quite skinny and there is always more food, so our TV Entertainment Center in the back of the 5th Wheel, I use the two bottom right cupboards for xtra food. The 2 cupboards on either side of the microwave he built shelves and that is for my dishes. The cupboard to the right of the oven is for pots & pans & coffee maker. More pots and pans are stored in the sink island/peninsula. I have no issues with things moving around.
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 AM   #7

I use plastic baskets from the dollar store to keep everything organize and also put the throw pillows in the cupboards while travelling.
Guylene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #8

I help to load up by packing stuff from the house to the trailer....

Bought some of these and cut to fit, tall stuff in front these help hold it in.

Put them in the door frame.

Springs Window Fashions Adjustable Oval Spring Tension Curtain Rod -
Old 05-01-2015, 12:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
I'm 07ThunderRoad's wife and I'd like to know from you ladies how you prevent damage to goods in the pantry. Where do you all put your stuff in your unit? The pantry has so much wasted space and I'm using the sliding racks in the cabinets left and right of the microwave for canned goods and coffee cups. All I know this setup isn't working.
We bought a half a doz plastic stackable bins from walmart. They are maybe 10 x 12 x6, kind of a open screen pattern. We load them in the house, take out to TT and put in the cabinets or pantry. Just that simple
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:21 PM   #10

I line all the shelves with the rubbery shelf liner stuff. It really helps things from sliding around. You can get it at the dollar store or Big Lots usually pretty cheap and it cuts very easily to fit.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #11

My shelves are all lined with a felt material, and that helps keep many things from moving. For my pantry, we keep some appliances in the bottom shelf, I have a small 3-drawer organizer on the 2nd shelf (holds my tea bags, DH's gum, sugar packets. We put the coffee pods in a small plastic basket in front of the drawers to keep them closed, then I fill the shelf with boxes and cans of food. The top shelf is over my head, so I have a big plastic basket where I put all of our bread goods. I just pull down the basket and get out what I need. Otherwise, I would need a step stool just to get a bagel or the hot dog buns.
I totally second the idea of keeping those plastic organizer baskets in the house to carry out to the RV, then keeping stuff in them as much as possible while camped. I also bought a car trunk organizer and use that for bigger items like bags of chips.
Even with everything packed tightly, I never forget the rule to open doors slowly as contents may have shifted while in transit.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #12

We line the bottom of pantry shelves with a rubber shelving mats and put goods in plastic laundry boxes. Large containers, like cereal, we store out of boxes and try to keep all boxes close to each other. We buy no glass container goods.
Big bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
We bought a half a doz plastic stackable bins from walmart. They are maybe 10 x 12 x6, kind of a open screen pattern. We load them in the house, take out to TT and put in the cabinets or pantry. Just that simple
I actually took my measuring tape in to 'that store' & purchased plastic bins that fit almost perfectly into the pantry / overhead cabinets .... one for dishes, 2 for foods. All other cabinets & frig are secured with those spring bars & always opened slowly ....
Love being able to load in the house & unload dishes back in to house for a run in the dishwasher after each trip

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #14

Food and Pantry Packing

Pack canned goods as low as possible. Use soft goods i.e. boxed items paper goods ets to pack around jars and bottles.
2015 Silverback by Forest River
2004 Dodge 2500HD 200K
srennick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 PM   #15

We have a 3050s.We use the shelves over the dinette area for dishes and with rubber mat lining have had nothing move during travel(Corelle dishes) For wine glasses and other acrylic glasses I have started packing them in the small carry bags you get for wine with the 4-6 individual slots.I do have a small canvas bin in there too for odds and ends.
For the pantry I have some items in small narrow bins with lids that fit nicely.I use these for grocery items and things I want in a container for freshness.I then have some narrow acrylic narrow shelf bins with things we use often- oils,seasoning small cans like tuna.I have one small bin with all breakfast things - peanut butter, cinnamon sugar,syrup and the microwave egg poacher.This works well for us.I have used my label maker to label the bins and my husband is going to try one of the pull out shelves others have man mentioned.All shelves are lined with the rubber matting- thicker type as it stays in place better.For coffee mugs I have some of that rubber liner around them when we travel with a rubber band so they don't bang together.It is true the tighter you pack the cupboards the less room for shifting.Once we get set up I take out the coffee pot,two mugs and put out on a tray.You will find the system that works for you!Lots of trial and error
sunseekercamper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #16

We put the rubbery shelf mat in like others mentioned. They keep pans, cups, plates, etc., from sliding while on the road but I had to put double-sided foam tape under the front edges. The mats would roumple and slide back when we put stuff on the shelf.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #17

These are all great ideas. In general I've found that it's not a good idea to put anything heavy up high--we had a dog food canister disaster last trip. I store my all important wine and booze bottles in a wine box from the liquor store in the under seat storage. I have a 252 Tracer Air with a narrow hall cupboard with shelves that make a nice liquor cabinet so I cut down the box with was too and it seems to fit nicely as long as I don't put too tall bottles in it. We'll try this next trip and see how it works.
brooklyncowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:41 AM   #18

We like to keep everything in plastic boxes. There is nothing loose in any of the storage areas not in a box. Big Lots has a good assortment of plastic boxes (w/lids) at a very reasonable price. Since most of everything is above comfortable eye level it makes it easier to take a box out and find what you need rather than shuffle stuff around to get at the back of the storage area. We keep cereal, sugar, and other flowable foods in plastic containers also so they are sealed up from humidity.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyncowgirl View Post
I store my all important wine and booze bottles in a wine box from the liquor store in the under seat storage. I have a 252 Tracer Air with a narrow hall cupboard with shelves that make a nice liquor cabinet so I cut down the box with was too and it seems to fit nicely as long as I don't put too tall bottles in it. We'll try this next trip and see how it works.
Where do you camp, I want to park next to you.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel