Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

"E-Z" Tow Axles = Rear Axle tire wear ?

I wanted to here from anyone who is experiencing a high rate of wear on the inside of the tires on the rear axle of there Lacrosse with these "E-Z" Tow axles that are spaced 40 inches apart.
I have a Hensley Hitch, and if you understand their very different principle of operation, it would tend to amplify this rear axle inside wear as the hitch moves from side to side as necessary.
I know as you turn a corner the rear axle leans hard scalloping the inside of the tire, which is not a major concern over the long haul with a traditional hitch.
But, with the Hensley Hitch this rear axle is constantly "wagging" and wearing tires on the inside at a high rate, I expect a new set every 6000 miles.
Is anyone experiencing high wear with a conventional hitch?
Any comments?
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walke View Post
I wanted to here from anyone who is experiencing a high rate of wear on the inside of the tires on the rear axle of there Lacrosse with these "E-Z" Tow axles that are spaced 40 inches apart.
I have a Hensley Hitch, and if you understand their very different principle of operation, it would tend to amplify this rear axle inside wear as the hitch moves from side to side as necessary.
I know as you turn a corner the rear axle leans hard scalloping the inside of the tire, which is not a major concern over the long haul with a traditional hitch.
But, with the Hensley Hitch this rear axle is constantly "wagging" and wearing tires on the inside at a high rate, I expect a new set every 6000 miles.
Is anyone experiencing high wear with a conventional hitch?
Any comments?
If you are experiencing high wear on the inside of both rear tires, I would suspect a bent axle or 2 bent spindles.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #3

"E-Z" Tow Axles = rear axle thread wear !

My rear axle is identical to my front axle with no damage or bends.

Therefore, with this being checked and verified I moved on to other reasons for Rear axle inside tire wear.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 09-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

I doubt your eyes can detect the few degrees of bend it would take to cause tire wear.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #5

"E-Z" Tow Axles

I didn't take it to the dealership because they did not have the laser instruments to check the axle accurately. The guy who checked it for me said he had the equipment.
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #6

Wink 2017 Lacrosse with EZ tow axle spacing

This spring I left Fort Smith Arkansas on a maiden 2400 mile trip with my new Lacrosse 33' travel trailer. 1000 interstate miles out I completely wore the left rear inside tire down to the cord. I never hit anything to cause this and I filled up at semi pumps along the way with my diesel truck. When I discovered the tire at a rest area, I could see the tire was out of true straight by over 3/4 inch. I finished the trip on the spare to Washington state where I replaced both tires. As a retired engineer, I used a 8' straight edge, 25 ton horizontal jack, 7' heavy logging chain, wood blocks and cinder block to straighten that axle bent on that end. (you can see an axle straightening on you-tube video). Since the other three tires did not have any abnormal wear, I made the assumption the front axle was true. Using the 8' straight edge, jack and chain, I straightened the axle/wheel until it was perfectly parallel with the front tire. I had to tweek the axle on the right side as re-bending the rear axle on the left side moved the right tire alignment slightly on the same rear axle. After making both tires parallel to the front axle tires, I made the return trip home (2400 miles). My assumption must have been correct as all four tires had no abnormal wear when I returned home! Note: I do use a hensley hitch! I will be a hensley owner for life! Especially on a long trailer like the LaCrosse! My best guess is that either the axle was bent on factory assembly or the person hired to deliver the trailer from Indiana to the Oklahoma dealer hit something to bend the axle. Believe me, I first tried to use a 12 ton jack to bend the axle. No way as the jack bypass tripped! It took a 25 ton jack to re-bend the axle straight again! I would say it is very difficult to bend a 5200 lb axle! Had to have hit something big like a tall curb or ? Glad I fixed it!
rdolan5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, tire