Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #1

Electric Stabilizer jacks?

Got my new 2640 RLS this week, its sitting in the driveway getting checked out and packed up for a trip to Charleston SC on the 23rd. My old Rockwood had the jacks u cranked down one at a time, electric jacks come down both at the same time and so I assume u have to put wood or whatever under the side that does not touch the ground
1st. Is this correct? I would pefer to be able to control each jack independant of the other. I got a crank handle also is this to use incase u loose power? I did not get a manual on my jacks.
Really like my Tracer so far even though I think my feet are going to hang over the end of the bed. Man those bed are short.
wvbike_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:15 AM   #2

I believe they are self adjusting,put a piece of wood under one in your driveway and see what happens. Anyway your trailer should be level before you put them down,they are stabilizers not jacks
davidjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbike_99 View Post
Got my new 2640 RLS this week, its sitting in the driveway getting checked out and packed up for a trip to Charleston SC on the 23rd. My old Rockwood had the jacks u cranked down one at a time, electric jacks come down both at the same time and so I assume u have to put wood or whatever under the side that does not touch the ground
1st. Is this correct? I would pefer to be able to control each jack independant of the other. I got a crank handle also is this to use incase u loose power? I did not get a manual on my jacks.
Really like my Tracer so far even though I think my feet are going to hang over the end of the bed. Man those bed are short.
If They are like mine then when one side hits the ground it will stop and the other will continue until it hit and then they will both sung up together.And yes the crank you got is for manual operation.And I believe you can do them independantly also
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjb View Post
I believe they are self adjusting,put a piece of wood under one in your driveway and see what happens. Anyway your trailer should be level before you put them down,they are stabilizers not jacks
Getting the trailer level does not mean that the jacks will hit the ground at the same time, many times my rear end is not on the pad and will not be level. I live in WV, level is hard to find around here.
I will test them in my driveway, I just was afraid I might put too much pressure on the side that touches first and even twist the trailer a little.
Thanks for the advice
ED
Old 04-14-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

You can get the plastic Lynx blocks (like Lego's). Light weight to carry but sturdy enough to put under the stabilizers and even the tires for leveling. We carry two sets (10 per bag) with us at all times. We always put at least one under each stabilizer and then as they get close to the ground we add others where needed so the stabilizers hit at the same time.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvbike_99 View Post
Getting the trailer level does not mean that the jacks will hit the ground at the same time, many times my rear end is not on the pad and will not be level. I live in WV, level is hard to find around here.
I will test them in my driveway, I just was afraid I might put too much pressure on the side that touches first and even twist the trailer a little.
Thanks for the advice
ED
The jack that hits the ground first will stop and wait for the other side to catch up. Then, they will both put down equal pressure to stabilize the TT.

BUT, first, you must level the TT side to side with planks or blocks and level front to rear with the tongue jack. Then, extend your stabilizer jacks.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

agree with above...
I have also noticed (or thought I did) that the less I extend the stabilizers on my Crusader 290, the more 'solidly' they seem to stabilize. I like to have about 6" of blocks under them before extending... any thoughts on why this might seem to work better?

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Miles towed to date: 26,890; Nights camped; lost count!
J_KHawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:45 AM   #8

That would be called leverage.The shorter the distance from the frame to the foot pad,the less the jack can flex.

09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #9

That's the reason I go ahead and block up to meet the stabilizer jacks. The wider the profile on where the jacks make contact, the more stable the unit.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 04-15-2012, 10:03 AM   #10

09grizzly1 & Old car;
Thanks
...makes sense to me... next trip to town, I'll see about buying some of those plastic leveling blocks. They seem a lot lighter than than the bundle of 2x6 blocks I've been packing!

2012 Crusader 290RLT TE, TrailAir flex pin: 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 SR5 Dbl cab 4X2 Tow, 4.30 gears, RideRite air, TRD cold-air induction & dual exhaust: Reese 16K Slider: TST tpms
Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
09grizzly1 & Old car;
Thanks
...makes sense to me... next trip to town, I'll see about buying some of those plastic leveling blocks. They seem a lot lighter than than the bundle of 2x6 blocks I've been packing!
oh yes much much lighter !
and takes up way less room !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #12

Hawthorne--where are you located in KC? We our outside of Harrisonville down 71 Hwy

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #13

Old Car... PM

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_KHawthorne View Post
09grizzly1 & Old car;
Thanks
I have 3 sets (30 ) and usually use all of them, They are great.
Old 04-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
oh yes much much lighter !
and takes up way less room !
Thanks for the tip! Lighter = Better!

Having convinced my good wife that weight increase is inversely proportional to MPG, anything that drops my GCVW gets into the budget!