Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 05:18 PM   #1

estone counter tops

Anyone else having problems with them scratching too easily? What are you using to take the scratches out? Thinking of using an automotive scratch remover. I emailed PT, I'll let you know what they recommend also.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #2

I noticed the same thing. I am now being extra careful with them and using towels underneath anything I sit on them that could scratch..

John

John
foxhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:24 PM   #3

Brandon York emailed me back this morning in typical lightning type fashion and has this to say... "You can sand and buff the countertop with 1000 to 2000 grit sandpaper and then do a light buff with a non abrasive compound, (something without a tough grit). This will remove any light scratches that have developed onto the countertop".....

I'll give it shot. Really like the counters but sometimes wish they were plain old formica.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

Thanks for sharing the info.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #5

REALLY! Any grit scares me considering that I scratched mine with a plastic bowl beating eggs and again sliding a jar of pickles to my son.
BellaGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #6

maybe just try buffing. I haven't messed with mine yet but may this weekend.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Commercial Member

There is a product called Countertop Magic that is commonly found at Loew's or Menards that is recommended by the supplier for rehabilitating surface scratches on the E-Stone countertops.

Try this first - the feedback on how well it works is very positive.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I am glad to hear that you can sand and buff the counter top. However, that does not address the problem of not being able to use it in a normal manner without risking further damage. Seems to me, from the way this discussion is going, that FR failed to do much, if any, testing of this product for serviceability and durability.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM   #9

I agree. We shouldn't have to sand and buff our countertops in our campers. They should be durable from the start.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #10

[I am glad to hear that you can sand and buff the counter top. However, that does not address the problem of not being able to use it in a normal manner without risking further damage. Seems to me, from the way this discussion is going, that FR failed to do much, if any, testing of this product for serviceability and durability.]

I dropped off my camper last night to have all the issues resolved and they told me that Prime Time told them the same thing about sanding and buffing. Therefore, PT is aware of the issue and, althought i can't say they don't care, they just don't seem to want to do anything about it. "Oh and by the way.... even though your are spending 30+ thousand for this camper, you will have to sand and buff the countertop". My dealer is actually going to take the sink cover and play with it, scratching, sanding, buffing, etc and then report back to PT. Then they are going to replace my sink cover, which is fine with me since the one i have never matched.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Guy View Post
There is a product called Countertop Magic that is commonly found at Loew's or Menards that is recommended by the supplier for rehabilitating surface scratches on the E-Stone countertops.

Try this first - the feedback on how well it works is very positive.

PTM
After reading about M109Rrider and BellaGrace's problems I went out to check our countertops. They look good to me. I asked my wife if she had noticed any scratches and she said that she hadn't.
Since we haven't been aware of any problems, we haven't been making any efforts to prevent them from happening, such as placing towels under bowls. I guess we're just lucky.

I'll probably pick up some of the Countertop Magic just in case. Thanks RV Guy for letting us know about it.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #12

I had never noticed any scratches from normal everyday wear and tear, but one of the corners were damaged while the stove was being installed. Now I guess I will start all over again, only now I'll be worried about scratching it. The countertop is being replaced but I've been waiting for a little over 2 months for a new one. Trailer has been at the dealer waiting for it to come in. Ready for it to be fixed and come home. I have camping to do. It does make me wonder if there is a clear coat or something that could be put on it to protect the finish.
Notuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notuck View Post
I had never noticed any scratches from normal everyday wear and tear, but one of the corners were damaged while the stove was being installed. Now I guess I will start all over again, only now I'll be worried about scratching it. The countertop is being replaced but I've been waiting for a little over 2 months for a new one. Trailer has been at the dealer waiting for it to come in. Ready for it to be fixed and come home. I have camping to do. It does make me wonder if there is a clear coat or something that could be put on it to protect the finish.
Why would they keep you camper until it comes in? You could be camping until it comes in......
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #14

Well it has that and a couple of other warranty things to be done. Slide topper is going on as well. Just easier to leave it for everything to be done at once and only make the trip there and back one time. It's been around 105 or better around here for the last few weeks anyway so not in a big hurry for it till it cools off. Surely it will be done before cooler weather.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notuck View Post
Well it has that and a couple of other warranty things to be done. Slide topper is going on as well. Just easier to leave it for everything to be done at once and only make the trip there and back one time. It's been around 105 or better around here for the last few weeks anyway so not in a big hurry for it till it cools off. Surely it will be done before cooler weather.
I thought the same thing so I took my tt in yesterday morning for some minor issues, awning adjustment, grey tank draining slowly, strap on sliding door broke, etc....
Last night the forecast changed! This weekend, highs in the high 80's - low 90's and lows around 70º!

We'll be using the pop up this weekend.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #16

Well isn't that the way it always goes? Using the pop up would have been an option for us as well up until about 2 weeks ago when I sold it. I knew I should have kept it, but when someone else wants it that bad and has cash in hand you do crazy things. LOL. Glad to hear that ya'll are getting a break from the high temps. Have fun this weekend.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #17

I just bought the pup this past May. Got what I thought was a good deal. Plans are to use it when I'm camping by myself, fishing trips etc.... Also loan it to family when they want to camp. Owned one years back and traded it in on my first tt. Like you, I felt I should have kept it.
Family has used it a couple of times, but this actually will be my first official camping trip using the pup. I have driveway camped with my grandkids, but I'm told that doesn't count.
As usual, we'll have BIG FUN!!!

Jason, sorry about hijacking your thread.
Go ahead. I deserve it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #18

We just bought a new Crusador 320RLT. We love it, but we are noticing scratches on the counter top. We have only used it twice and there are scratches. I put bags of grocerys there when loading for a trip. I quess that is when it happened. I will be checking back to see if PT is doing anything about them.
bobbysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #19

Keep us posted as to what they tell you. My dealer is going to test the sink cover and report to them also. BTW did anyone look at the back of the sink covers? They are the same countertop but flat, without the gloss coating. I like that so much better. It does not show those surface scratches (i tested it) nor does it show all the finger prints that my family so likes to make and kick in my OCD.

But flat all over might take away the beauty of that countertop.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #20

I took some Maguire's Scratch X to mine tonight. Didn't completely remove them but certainly aren't as noticeable. I think with a little more rubbing they would disappear.