Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to JoeyO
Exterior Speaker Upgrade on Tracer 3150

Hey Fellow Campers,

I know a lot of folks are not music enthusiast when enjoying the outdoors. I myself however, like to enjoy cooking tunes and background music when playing cards outside with the boys. I was not pleased with the output of the exterior speakers that came with my Tracer 3150 BHD. (They retail for about $17 for the pair, so that should give you an idea on how they sound.)

It started when I added the iPod cable to my AWM970 stereo from Jensen RV. Here are photos from my install:
http:/<div style="width:480px;text-a..." /></a></div>

The exterior speakers get worked over at low and mid volume, too tinny or it just ends up popping. Bottom line, I wanted to add some depth to the sound, not to cranking it up, just better quality.

Anyway, the stock speakers are 5" and there are not a lot of 5" quality marine speakers on the market. Other options would include mounting raised box speakers, but there is not a beam to mount it properly where the existing speakers are, plus it would likely fail in the near term. So I am going to make the hole larger for 6.5" speakers. I will update this thread as I progress.

If you have done anything similar, please chime in.

Thanks,
2011 Expedition 5.4L 4x4 Limited
2018 Highland Ridge 275 Light
Semper Fi
JoeyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Not sure if you tried this yet, but I'm in the same boat. Although I think my exterior speakers are only 3" and look to be a surface mount type speaker not a recessed style. However, I haven't taken them off to check.

I left the interiors alone, but installed an A/C powered subwoofer under the bed and it made a huge difference. It's the Velodyne Microvee, 2,000 watts and (3) 6.5" drivers. The box is only 9"x9", so you can fit it about anywhere.

If you have some pictures of the install, I would like to see how it went. I'm terrified to drill a whole in the side of a 4 month old camper, but I've installed some wakeboard towers in $50,000 boats so it can't be much worse than that.