Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #1

Faded Cap

We have a Crusader 320 RLT. The front cap is fading. What can be done to restore the shine? We have had it waxed a couple of times. Has not come out as well as we would like. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiesnvino View Post
We have a Crusader 320 RLT. The front cap is fading. What can be done to restore the shine? We have had it waxed a couple of times. Has not come out as well as we would like. Anyone else experiencing this?
Try polishing compound followed up with a good coat of wax. Apply the compound with a damp cotton cloth removing the compound before it dries. Polishing compound , not rubbing compound, is available at any auto parts store.
next2dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #3

Mine gets like that. I use an orbital waxer and RV/marine cleaner wax a couple times a year and it brings most of the shine back.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:52 PM   #4

Thank you all for the info..... I like to look nice going down the road!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M109Rrider View Post
Mine gets like that. I use an orbital waxer and RV/marine cleaner wax a couple times a year and it brings most of the shine back.
Ditto.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Enjoying LIFE

Try NuGlass2

The product is NU Glass 2. I had a detail company clean my Georgetown 373, they used this product on the front above the windshield and it look GREAT.
Gene Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #7

Does Prime Time have a recommendation? Did you email customer service?
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Ross View Post
The product is NU Glass 2. I had a detail company clean my Georgetown 373, they used this product on the front above the windshield and it look GREAT.
I"m assuming NU Glass 2 is OK for the high gloss gel coat ?
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Answered my own question .

Fiberglass, Fiberglass Gel Coat, fiberglass repair, fiberglass boat repair
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:36 PM   #10

Cap fade

I did talk to Prime Time (nice folks), confirmed answer is to sand & buff to get the shine back. Since there are decals across the front we will have to replace those. I should be receiving the decals any day. We will hire someone experienced to do it all. We're not crazy about getting up there Anyone from Central Coast of California got a shout out for a recommendation?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
I wouldn't sand mine if they are referring to some type sandpaper. I would use polishing compound as a previous poster said or use Bar Keepers Friend prior to any wax. On the RV.net forum many, including myself and previous rig, applied Zep after cleaning and it not only added a factory shine but has lasted several years. Prep work, although not very difficult, is the secret.

Google "Rv.net" and search for ZEP. You may have to joined but it costs nothing.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiesnvino View Post
I did talk to Prime Time (nice folks), confirmed answer is to sand & buff to get the shine back.
Sand a 2012? Surely not.
Is the cap painted, or is the color in the gelcoat? Depending what it is would determine the way to polish it.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #13

Cap Fade

I was told to sand starting with 1200 grit sanding, then buff. I had him walk me through the difference between a gel coat and a clear coat on a car and was told a gel coat is deeper so it could be sanded, buffed and waxed.....Also I was advised to go to someone who knows RV's. So, we are on the search for someone who has done this before on an RV or perhaps buffs out gel coats on a boat???
We had an RV service department wax it a few times, don't know what they used but it sure did not prevent what happened....We will also search for a new service department so we can have our 5er maintained properly.
If the RV Guy has any further information that would be helpful before we do some real damage I'd sure welcome him to jump in on this.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #14

Are you sure it is gelcoated over the paint?
It seems odd that it would be fading so soon if it was.
But if it is gelcoated, sanding and buffing the clearcoat wouldn't make much difference, as it is the paint underneath that would be fading.
Does anyone with a Prime Time know if their caps are painted or not?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #15

cap faded

Painted Cap W/Gel.... Colored Gel.....I frankly don't know.........I am so concerned now. The guy I called was trying to be so helpful. He had to call someone and check about what to do and get back to me. The answer back to me was about the sanding without any details about the actual makeup of the cap.....and I do not know enough about this RV stuff to ask the right questions on the front end. I am starting to feel like I have gone down a rabbit hole and the Mad Hatter is about to greet me.
I have sent an email to Customer Service asking for specifics on the makeup of the front cap.
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #16

There are a ton of Prime Time owners here, surely one of them will help?
Old 07-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #17

There is a product available called Shine On that you might check into. It is a wipe on product to restore faded fiberglass finishes. I have never used this product, nor do I have anything to do with this company. I read about it somewhere, possibly on this forum, and watched a you tube clip on it. It looks pretty simple to use and appears to work. Here is a link to a youtube clip on it.

slide5r4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #18
Commercial Member

FYI - we have reached out to our cap suppliers for more specific recommendations on care and maintenance rather than generic answers. We will have an answer for the OP early next week.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #19

RVGuy, a simple question;
Do you know if the color in the caps is painted on over the gelcoat, or is it in the gelcoat, or under the gelcoat? I have always wondered about that. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Depends on your unit. We have used 2 different Gel Coat suppliers and we have also painted some caps in an effort to find the most consistent, highest quality product that has the best resistance to UV.

Currently, we have a specially formulated Gel Coat application (not painted) that has the highest UV rating we can find. However, any "colored" cap (even a painted one) is going to require extra care and maintenance to keep them looking sharp.

PTM
RV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote